Do we agree that developing Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B and Mayo 1B/DH.......

wildcard

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Mayo at 3B is an oblong peg in a round hole. You could wedge him in there but he really doesn't fit. Westberg has shown that he is a much better option there, IMHO.

Where else are you playing Holiday? He seems to have a solid skillset for 2B that needs to be refined a bit. I believe in his bat and think he will hit. Is he the guy you groom to lead off? That would be my strategy if I were making decisions. He will continue to develop the bat to ball skills necessary, he has the speed. His sneaky power makes him dangerous at the top of the order where first pitch fastballs are still relatively common.

Holliday is a clear outfielder to me, most likely a CF, and at worst a corner outfielder. If Elias doesn't see the same thing, I further question his ability to be the right GM for this organization after the awful 2024 season he just had. 

Holliday is a poor defender at both 2B and SS. But he has the elite speed to be an adequate outfielder. And with Cedric Mullins rapidly declining, determining whether Holliday can be a possible long-term solution in CF should be a priority for Elias this offseason. 

The primary goal of the 2025 season should be winning the division.

If "developing" the three players in the OP, serves that goal, they should play.  If not, they shouldn't.

As it stands right now, Holliday shouldn't be on the ML team.  He should not be playing over Urias or Mateo.  Now, he might come back in spring training, and show great improvement.  That's not beyond the realm of possibility.  But as things stood in October 2024, he shouldn't be playing over those guys on a team that has any intention of trying to win games.

The idea that he "has nothing left to prove in AAA" is weak.  He's got 450 PAs in AAA with a batting average of 270.  He could definitely perform better down there.  Likewise, he can continue to develop physically down there.  Most importantly, he can continue to improve defensively down there.

Kjerstad looks like he's going to have a full-time role available to him next year, if they don't resign Santander and I don't think they will.  (Even if they bring back Santander, they'd probably let O'hearn go, and Kjerstad would still have quite a few abs coming his way.)

Mayo could probably start out as a DH vs LHP,  with some spot starts at 1b and 3b.  If he performs he'll get more pt.  If he doesn't, he'll probably end up back in the minors.  But he's in the same boat as Holliday: If he can't beat out Mountcastle for an everyday role, he shouldn't be handed one.  And he showed nothing last year suggesting you clear one out for him by trading Mountcasle.

So each case is a little different, but the primary goal of the team should be winning the division, and the playing time of those three guys will depend on how much they help or hurt that primary goal.

Cowser is the template.  Nobody was handing him anything but he came in and performed and took a job.  If the other 3 can't do that, they don't deserve a job.

I still think Holliday to CF (with Westburg to 2B) is a tough idea to shake long-term.

Seems to be a better use of Jackson’s tools (elite sprint speed, mediocre hands, below-average arm). And it feels like it’d be much easier to find a full-time 3B with a MOO type RH bat than it would be to find a good-fielding LF/CF type with that sort of offensive profile.