Meoli on the 1st base situation

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was I’m hoping his arm would get better as well, but it hasn’t. His caught stealing percentage since 2022 is 39%, 22% last year and fell to 19% this season. 

Those percentages are as much on the pitching staff as they are on the catcher. From what I see, Adley still throws well. My sole concern with him is the bat. Just don’t know what happened to the stick in the second half of the year

As to the first base situation, I put Mayo on first full time and give him an extended every day chance to get his bat going. I would trade Mountcastle. The ideas around a trade of Mounty to the Reds seemed good. Pretty sure Santander is gone. I bring back O’Hearn to back up at first and Rf as well as pinch hit. Silent J gets the same opportunity as Mayo for me. It’s really time imo to let our best prospects have a real chance. Not the jerk around. not 3 starts and ride the pine. In my world Holiday, Mayo and Kjerstad all play consistently from the start.

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was I’m hoping his arm would get better as well, but it hasn’t. His caught stealing percentage since 2022 is 39%, 22% last year and fell to 19% this season. 

Part of that is because of the changes made to increase stolen bases.

* The league stole 3,503 bases in 2023, the most since the wild west days of baserunning in 1987 (3,585 steals). It was the first year with 3,000 steals since 2012 (3,229). The league's 80.1% stolen base success rate was a record and not by a small margin either.

In 2024 we saw 3,617 stolen bases.

His CS rate is closer to average than it is a detriment.

*AI generated quote.

Edited by Can_of_corn

27 minutes ago, theobird said:

As to the first base situation, I put Mayo on first full time and give him an extended every day chance to get his bat going. I would trade Mountcastle. The ideas around a trade of Mounty to the Reds seemed good. Pretty sure Santander is gone. I bring back O’Hearn to back up at first and Rf as well as pinch hit. Silent J gets the same opportunity as Mayo for me. It’s really time imo to let our best prospects have a real chance. Not the jerk around. not 3 starts and ride the pine. In my world Holiday, Mayo and Kjerstad all play consistently from the start.

Kjerstad will be given a big chance unless AS comes back. Holliday will get big playing time. Not quite so sure about Mayo unless mounty gets injured. He’s only played like 10 games at first, and not very well. How much do you think he can get done offseason and ST? It’s only 1B so who knows

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

That’s a pretty huge drop off after 2022. Don’t you think a good bit of that is probably attributable to some of the rule changes, though?

His pop time was 1.93 seconds in 2022 and it was 1.96 seconds in 2024. Not getting better, but pretty comparable. 

He was +1 run (above average) on SB attempts in 2022. He was also +1 run on SB attempts in 2024. Again, not better but pretty much the same. That metric (per StatCast) is based on various inputs at the time the pitch crosses the plate: the pitch location, the runner’s speed, the runner’s distance from 2B, etc. They deem it a measure of “base stolen on the pitcher rather than the catcher.”