5 year payroll plan to see how much can be added.

wildcard

On 10/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, Sports Guy said:

But that’s the thing. TA and other fans don’t care if it’s money well spent…they care it’s money spent. That’s the thing. 

They equate money spent to winning.

Did you happen to see the numbers I posted in the other thread? It is an cold hard fact that the teams that spend more, have a far greater chance of winning a championship. I didn't make the numbers up they are what they are. You don't spend, you don't win trophies. 

Do I want them to just spend for the hell of spending? Nope. Do I realize that history shows the more you spend increases your chances to win? Yep. I'm trying to stack the deck in my favor any way I can. And good, established players tend to do that when they are on your team! But they cost money! I hope you can wrap your head around this extremely complicated concept.

Oh and could you remind me what the payroll of the 2 teams in the World Series is right now? 

6 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Did you happen to see the numbers I posted in the other thread? It is an cold hard fact that the teams that spend more, have a far greater chance of winning a championship. I didn't make the numbers up they are what they are. You don't spend, you don't win trophies. 

Do I want them to just spend for the hell of spending? Nope. Do I realize that history shows the more you spend increases your chances to win? Yep. I'm trying to stack the deck in my favor any way I can. And good, established players tend to do that when they are on your team! But they cost money! I hope you can wrap your head around this extremely complicated concept.

Oh and could you remind me what the payroll of the 2 teams in the World Series is right now? 

Can you remind me how many WS titles those 2 have combined to win in this century?

how many WS have the Yankees been to since 2009?

Talent is what wins you games, not money spent. 

Edited by Sports Guy

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And Soto bats second..Ohtani first.  The best hitters are generally batting first or second now because lineup optimization says the best thing to do. 

I would say "generally" at most. Harper, Ozuna, Bellinger, Ramirez bat third. Tucker, Machado bat fourth. There are probably just as many examples of one lineup decision as another. 

Why do we cry so much about payroll?  Should the Yankees be penalized for drafting, developing, and then resigning Aaron Judge?

In 2013 we drafted Hunter Harvey ahead of Judge. In 2014, we chose not to trade Hunter Harvey for Jon Lester. 

Decisions…

I had lots of fun in 97/98 watching us when we surrounded Cal with FAs like an in prime Robby Alomar, and Raffy Palmeiro. Were yall crying then?

Ruby needs to open up his wallet for Burnes. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm calling you out on it since you've been giving me a hard time.

And in all honesty I couldn't have chosen the opposite position because the available evidence doesn't support it.

You asked for data, I gave it, you decided to ignore it.

Even your Judge reference was just flat out incorrect.

You're coming off as more than a bit petulant.

Have a great night!

First, I didn't ignore what you posted. I looked it over, I'm just not convinced it's being applied by all teams, or even the best teams. Judge was in the third spot every game he played this season. I scanned Baseball Reference and found 6 examples of teams who have their best hitters deeper in the order: Harper, Ozuna, Ramirez, Bellinger, Tucker, Machado.   

Second, yes, I'm giving you a hard time. Sometimes it's deserved and sometimes it isn't. I'll work on stopping it. 

Third, petulant is an awesome word.

20 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

First, I didn't ignore what you posted. I looked it over, I'm just not convinced it's being applied by all teams, or even the best teams. Judge was in the third spot every game he played this season. I scanned Baseball Reference and found 6 examples of teams who have their best hitters deeper in the order: Harper, Ozuna, Ramirez, Bellinger, Tucker, Machado.   

Second, yes, I'm giving you a hard time. Sometimes it's deserved and sometimes it isn't. I'll work on stopping it. 

How many extra PA does a player get batting 1st over batting 3rd in a year?  I’m not sure, but it’s been posted here before. Are those lost PA over the course of the season worth being sacrificed for more run creation outcomes?  

I’d say no, as of now, but we’re getting close. Especially with Westburg being near All Star level at the #2 spot. Also, we had Santa. Now we don’t. So do we see Gunnar go to #3?

56 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I would say "generally" at most. Harper, Ozuna, Bellinger, Ramirez bat third. Tucker, Machado bat fourth. There are probably just as many examples of one lineup decision as another. 

Well 4th is the other good spot but first or second is better.

Edited by Sports Guy

Arizona signed multiple bats and multiple pitchers in the offseason. They “spent money” coming off their WS appearance.

They spent it on pitchers who, if they had the same year in 2024 as they had in 2023 and they were available today, many would be clamoring for…and yet they got hurt and/or popped the bed.

The DBacks offense was elite but they missed the playoffs.

Sometimes spending money works. It helped the Royals. Sometimes it doesn’t. Either way, it’s not a guarantee of anything.

Talent, roster construction and a lot of luck is needed.

Spending money on real talent certainly increases your margin for error.

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

It's not a big impact.  If a Harper is set on hitting third I would bat him third.  The advantage isn't worth the conflict.