4-17-09 Orioles at Red Sox

Rex Thunder

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You distinguish good defense by the amount of errors made? I think this is what RShack meant by baseball knowledge here.

There have been a few plays missed by the defense tonight. And while they might not have gone down as errors, they were plays to be made that weren't and they cost us.

What's your problem? Seriously. Guthrie is immune from criticism?

This Javier Lopez is my old high school spanish teacher's son. He subbed for my class one time and I got his autograph. Great guy.

I covered a few of his high school games. I'm not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the girls at the games wanted into his pants. It made interviews nearly impossible.

Oooooooo. I forgot we should be happy with a pitcher who gives up 5 ER in less than 5 innings. The defense cost him the third out, so that *completely* excuses him for everything that follows. Now I get it.

LOl- You are further making RShack's case. That fluky 2nd inning lead to 4 runs. They were all "hits" but were weakly hit- one off the bag and one a bloop in no mans land that I actually think still should have been caught. regardless- it was a snowball inning and if you'd rather write it off as Guthrie being awful- so be it. I think he battled- but paid for every mistake he made- while also getting absolutely no luck in the field or help from the ump... but yeah- you just look at the earned runs and keep piling on Guthrie.

LOl- You are further making RShack's case. That fluky 2nd inning lead to 4 runs. They were all "hits" but were weakly hit- one off the bag and one a bloop in no mans land that I actually think still should have been caught. regardless- it was a snowball inning and if you'd rather write it off as Guthrie being awful- so be it. I think he battled- but paid for every mistake he made- while also getting absolutely no luck in the field or help from the ump... but yeah- you just look at the earned runs and keep piling on Guthrie.

I hate the term, but Guthrie showed tonight the difference between a good pitcher and an "ace."

I just think it's kind of annoying how we've been preaching pitching & defense and couldn't manage either tonight.

Hey, the guy is obviously not a bad pitcher.

I've been a huge Guthrie supporter since he showed up here. But like Tony said, he crapped the bed tonight.

As Rex said, the entire team has crapped the bed tonight. These kinds of games are just exhausting... and they're not sustainably winnable, which is going to be the story of this season, I'm afraid.

I think a lot of the argument that's going on is stemming from this post:

Guthrie gets what he deserved. His team gave him a 7 run lead and reacted by walking the first guy he sees on four pitches, and the third guy on five pitches. Talk about a major league choke act. A good pitcher goes out and shuts 'em down the next inning.

The bolded section could be looked at to imply that Guthrie isn't a good pitcher, which is what I think someone had an issue with. Everything kind of spiraled out of control from there. :laughlol:

I covered a few of his high school games. I'm not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the girls at the games wanted into his pants. It made interviews nearly impossible.

Haha, that's hilarious. What high school did he go to? His mom was one of my all-time favorite teachers.

Archived