After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

The bottom line is if they truly think he was gonna develop they would not have given up on him.
This isn't true. They had no room for him. They couldn't send him to the minors. A year ago, he was in the exact same position and they didn't give him up. They refused to include him in talks for Roberts.

This year he was out of options, so their hand was forced. They aren't in a position to be able to put up with the struggles of a young and promising player adjusting to MLB. We, very obviously, are in that position.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kakes EARNED his way onto the team with an unbelievable spring that year. So yes, he deserved some rope. Jones was the centerpiece of a deal that sent our ace to Seattle, so he also deserved some rope. Neither of them had anybody knocking on the door to take their playing time. Pie is a "hunch" that MacPhail is hoping pays off. He is a five-tool "prospect" whose own team gave up on him. Yeah, I know the reason, the Cubs don't have a spot for him on their pennant contending team. The bottom line is if they truly think he was gonna develop they would not have given up on him. And finally, Pie is getting PT even though he has not earned it and has Scott, Wigginton, Montanez, and Reimold who ALL can play left field. These are the main differences between Pie and Kakes/Jones.

Bingo, and Jones just like Markakis both had good springs before their first year with the Orioles. Jones already had the job, but he earned it anyway.

Pie should have never been given the LF job outright and should have had to compete with Montanez and Reimold for it. Competition would have been a good thing IMO.

Now hopefully we will get to see just that now that Montanez has been called up.

Just to be clear, you would have cut Pie and exposed him to waivers this spring?

I know you didn't ask me, but I will answer anyway. Not sure about that one. But I do know that I would be willing to do it now and take my chances that no one claims him. Not many teams are willing to say two weeks into the season that we are giving up on this year. Apparently some people think the Orioles are doing just that.

Just to be clear, you would have cut Pie and exposed him to waivers this spring?

If he didn't win the LF job by his spring results, yes.

I want to take the best 25 players north. Pie was not one of those 25 as he didn't earn his spot.

This isn't true. They had no room for him. They couldn't send him to the minors. A year ago, he was in the exact same position and they didn't give him up. They refused to include him in talks for Roberts.

This year he was out of options, so their hand was forced. They aren't in a position to be able to put up with the struggles of a young and promising player adjusting to MLB. We, very obviously, are in that position.

Unfortunately, some posters here (and about all of them at Roch's blog) don't accept that we are in the position to wait. Reimold has almost no AAA ABs yet and Oscar and Lou are going to be role players at best in MLB. There isn't a need to rush to make a change.

So we wait Pie out until team management is sure he won't be the guy. Once the experiment is over, it's over since he has no options left.

I think he get until at least the middle of June to begin to get it.

It's simply amazing to me that this very simple and obvious point isn't understood by everyone.

We can take chances that a contending team can't. What's so hard to understand?

If he didn't win the LF job by his spring results, yes.

I want to take the best 25 players north. Pie was not one of those 25 as he didn't earn his spot.

Sigh.

In my best AI - "We talkin' bout Spring Training?!?"

Spring training stats are irrelevant, no matter how many times you say they are. See Guthrie, Jeremy.

So you would prefer to have Wiggy at DH and Pie not on the team at all at this point. Is that correct?

Well, to be fair, I didn't want Pie to begin with, so I guess I would have to say yes, I don't want him on the team. HOWEVER, as I now sound like a parrot repeating myself, since he's here, I would keep him around for a little while to see if he catches magic in a bottle (though I do not THINK that will happen.)

So you would prefer to have Wiggy at DH and Pie not on the team at all at this point. Is that correct?

I'll answer that:

Scott/Wigginton DH platoon when Mora is healthy. Wigginton can also sub on days when Huff and Mora need a break.

Reimold full time LFer, Montanez 4th OFer.

Pie outrighted to AAA or claimed by another team. I let Pie regain his stroke/defense in Norfolk and he can have another crack at the LF job after the AS Break or in ST 2010 at the latest.

I know you didn't ask me, but I will answer anyway. Not sure about that one. But I do know that I would be willing to do it now and take my chances that no one claims him. Not many teams are willing to say two weeks into the season that we are giving up on this year. Apparently some people think the Orioles are doing just that.

Two major fallacies with this:

1. Pie would most certainly be claimed. No doubt about it. Ergo, you would be dumping an asset for NOTHING.

2. You are focusing on 2009 at the expense of 2010 and on. This irrational line of thinking is precisely why this organization is where it is. 2009 does not matter.

It's simply amazing to me that this very simple and obvious point isn't understood by everyone.

We can take chances that a contending team can't. What's so hard to understand?

What's so hard to understand is how a team who has lost 11 straight seasons in a row can "give up" and use the excuse "well we don;t plan to contend this year anyway" and still expect people to pay $30 a game to come to the ballpark.

Sigh.

In my best AI - "We talkin' bout Spring Training?!?"

Spring training stats are irrelevant, no matter how many times you say they are. See Guthrie, Jeremy.

Not sure what YOU don't understand, but ST performance IS important for young players trying to make the team. See Markakis, Nick and Jones, Adam for examples. A guy who has yet to prove himself in the majors just being given a job should dam well care about his ST stats or he won't be around very long.

Not sure what YOU don't understand, but ST performance IS important for young players trying to make the team. See Markakis, Nick and Jones, Adam for examples. A guy who has yet to prove himself in the majors just being given a job should dam well care about his ST stats or he won't be around very long.

Only in Dipper and JTrea land. A land which, thank heavens, is not lived in by AM or any other competent GM.

Two major fallacies with this:

1. Pie would most certainly be claimed. No doubt about it. Ergo, you would be dumping an asset for NOTHING.

2. You are focusing on 2009 at the expense of 2010 and on. This irrational line of thinking is precisely why this organization is where it is. 2009 does not matter.

Not to steal a line from Drew, but its YOUR way of thinking that will cause another drop in attendance in 2009! I'm sorry, but 2 weeks into a season a team should not "give up." Its one thing to say we are a year or two away from being perennial contenders. Its another entirely to keep guys like Freel, Pie, and Moeller on the team when Wieters, Reimold, and Montanez are ready to contribute.

Archived