Taking a look at some early mock drafts...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just hope that Ackley slips. 2 more home runs last night in the first round acc tourney game against Dook.

yeah I was at the game last night. I will admit I am not very knowledgeable about college baseball and only know of Ackley from seeing him mentioned as a top 5 pick in this years draft. So last night was the first time I have seen him play. Initially, I was surprised at how small he was. But the kid can hit. His first HR last night was an absolute bomb. Must have traveled at least 430 feet. He also had a very nice 2 strike single in his next at bat followed up by a homerun down the line that went about 350. By looking at him, I cannot believe he can hit so many home runs. I am really wondering how much of his power in college is due to the aluminum bat. He looks like a legit big league hitter but Id be surprised if he turned out to be a power hitter. Also, no way is he a 1b in MLB so guess that means OF?

I thought it was a year from their draft date?

It has to be a year from their signing date. It is why you will see deadline deals go for a PTBNL. An example would be the Bonderman deal that went down in early June, but could not be completed until late August.

Gammons says Beckham isn't in the deal :(

He didn't say Ramirez wasn't though, which would have the same effect.

It has to be a year from their signing date. It is why you will see deadline deals go for a PTBNL. An example would be the Bonderman deal that went down in early June, but could not be completed until late August.

Oh ok, I knew there was a year limit, but for some reason I was thinking it was draft date, not signing date.

He didn't say Ramirez wasn't though, which would have the same effect.

Oh ok, I knew there was a year limit, but for some reason I was thinking it was draft date, not signing date.

It is being rumored as all pitchers now.

My guess is Poreda, Richard, Link and Hudson.

1. Washington Nationals: Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State

He was the top guy heading into the season and basically ran away and hid right from the get-go. The only question was about the bonus demands, and whether Washington would be willing to go down that road, knowing they really had to sign their first pick after not getting pitcher Aaron Crow into the fold a year ago. It seems likely they will select Strasburg, and look for the Nats to get it done and move him on the fast track.

2. Seattle Mariners: Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, North Carolina

This is where it gets murkier. After Strasburg, it's still very much up in the air. If the Mariners want to go with a pitcher, it's looking like Crow and perhaps Kyle Gibson are still in the mix. It's no secret that when he was the Brewers' scouting director, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik loved the bats, and Ackley's the best one in this class. The question mark around him is his position, as most would like him to play the outfield, but he hasn't been out there very much for scouts to evaluate. Considering Zdureincik took Matt LaPorta and turned him into an outfielder, it might not matter.

3. San Diego Padres: Mike Minor, LHP, Vanderbilt

Traditionally, the Padres have been fairly college-heavy, at least early in Drafts, and the thinking here is they'll go that route again. The pick for now is the Vandy southpaw with a very good track record, but a guy like Crow could fit as well. If the M's don't take Ackley, the Padres very well could. That being said, there is some talk going on in the organization about going in a different direction. Specifically, that's toolsy outfielder Donavan Tate, who has tremendous athletic talent and a commitment to play football and baseball at North Carolina.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates: Alex White, RHP, North Carolina

The Pirates would have serious interest in Ackley if he somehow gets to them, but that seems unlikely at this point. If they decided a college bat is what they need, there has been some talk they've been interested in USC shortstop Grant Green. The next-best choices might be college arms, and Pittsburgh has been all over the Tar Heels' ace, as well as watching Crow and current Missouri starter Kyle Gibson. Don't forget the high school arms because they haven't, with prep stars like Zack Wheeler, Matthew Purke and Matt Hobgood still in the mix.

5. Baltimore Orioles: Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth Cats

Crow was taken No. 9 overall a year ago by the Nationals, but didn't sign. Instead of returning to Mizzou, he went the indy route, pitching for a Fort Worth club that has had guys like Luke Hochevar pitch for it. Word is Crow looks the same as he did a year ago, and there were plenty of teams who liked him in 2008. The O's were one of them before they decided to go in another direction, and they still like the right-hander. Like in most spots in the top 10, a team looking at Crow is probably also looking at Gibson. Wheeler, the high schooler out of Georgia, is on their short list as well, and they could go for a bat like Green if they so choose.

6. San Francisco Giants: Michael Trout, OF, Millville Senior HS, N.J.

And now we have our first high schooler going off the board. This is a little bit of a leap, but there's no doubt Trout has been a late riser on Draft boards. Word is the Giants have been in heavy to see the toolsy outfielder and they are an organization willing to take whoever they want, regardless of perception. In that regard, they could also have interest in Tate. They could have an interest in Wheeler if they wanted to go with the young power arm instead.

7. Atlanta Braves: Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS, Dallas, Ga.

This one almost seems to make too much sense, with the Braves loving power arms and taking guys in their own backyard. Wheeler fits both of those criteria. If Wheeler is taken above them -- which is extremely possible -- they could look elsewhere for a high school pitcher, perhaps Purke or fellow lefty Tyler Matzek.

8. Cincinnati Reds: Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri

Once again, it's college-arm time and it might just depend on who falls to Cincy at this spot. In this scenario, it's Gibson, and the Reds would likely be just fine with that. They might have a discussion about Tanner Scheppers, who has top-of-the-Draft talent, but still has the question mark of a shoulder issue following him. A high shcool arm like Jacob Turner could enter the mix as well.

9. Detroit Tigers: Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS, Mission Viejo, Calif.

The Tigers are liable to do anything and will take whoever they feel is the best player available, period. That often means they are linked with whatever wild cards there are in a Draft. This time, that could mean Tate, it could mean Scheppers, or it could mean Turner. Instead, for this first week, we'll go with the prep lefty from SoCal in Matzek, who's dazzled at times with his great stuff but has been a little enigmatic with consistently bringing it to the table.

10. Washington Nationals: Chad Jenkins, RHP, Kenesaw State

I know what you're thinking -- that the Nats are going cheap because of Strasburg. Not so fast. Sure, if they can save a few dollars here, they won't say no, but the fact of the matter is Jenkins was rising up many Draft boards, not just in Washington, surpassing his teammate Kyle Heckathorn, also a first-round candidate. And it's not like he's the only option here. They could get in on the Scheppers hunt or, believe it or not, re-draft Crow. They were also spotted en force watching Matzek recently, and he could be the guy if they go high school arm here.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090521&content_id=4856224&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Minor for SD would be a horrendous pick with Matzek and Purke still on the board

Matzek, Purke, White, Gibson, Crow, Scheppers...

I would even take Boxberger before I'd take Minor. That one was just really bad.

These Peavy talks led a bit of insight into what SD is looking for I think though. They seem very enamored with middle infielders and pitching. Not that it narrows things down too much, but it lends some validity to Green at 3, and the pitchers they were looking at were mostly higher level guys, so I'd think they might look college pitchers before HS.

• 2 weeks later...
1. Washington Nationals -- RHP Stephen Strasburg, San Diego State

2. Seattle Mariners -- RHP Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian Academy

3. San Diego Padres --1B Dustin Ackley, University of North Carolina

4. Pittsburgh Pirates -- RHP Alex White, University of North Carolina

5. Baltimore Orioles -- LHP Tyler Matzek, Capastrano Valley HS

6. San Francisco Giants -- RHP Tanner Scheppers, St. Paul Saints

7. Atlanta Braves -- OF Donavan Tate, Cartersville HS

8. Cincinnati Reds -- RHP Kyle Gibson, University of Missouri

9. Detroit Tigers -- RHP Shelby Miller, Brownwood HS

10. Washington Nationals -- RHP Matthew Purke, Klein HS

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009_mvn_mlb_mock_draft.html

1. Washington Nationals

Stephen Strasburg, San Diego State, RHP

The only question now is how much? Back cramps a brief scare.

2. Seattle Mariners

Dustin Ackley, North Carolina, 1B/OF

Best hitter in the draft finally played centerfield. Hit two home runs in ACC Tournament opener win against Duke.

3. San Diego Padres

Grant Green, USC, SS

Word is the Padres still value Green's bat, suspect glove or not. His 16 errors are outweighed by the .372 average.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Kyle Gibson, Missouri, RHP

Like a metronome, he just keeps on going, steady and consistent. Wins in Big 12 tourney opener. Same ol, same ol: six innings pitched, 0 runs, three hits.

5. Baltimore Orioles

Alex White, University of North Carolina, RHP

Inconsistency with slider continues. Changeup has proven to be a better pitch this year. The dominating slider from last year's College World Series has yet to appear.

6. San Francisco Giants

Donovan Tate, Cartersville (Ga.) HS, OF

Giants have developed high-ceiling toolsy high schooler outfielders before: see current leftfielder Fred Lewis.

7. Atlanta Braves

Zach Wheeler, E. Paulding HS, Dallas, Ga., RHP

Braves will not hesitate to avoid dealing with Scott Boras-represented clients, so they might be scared off Tate. Wheeler is considered signable.

8. Cincinnati Reds

Aaron Crow, Fort Worth Cats (Independent), RHP

Dominated in his first Independent outing, going five innings, striking out nine. Hit 96 with a biting slider.

9. Detroit Tigers

Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian (St. Louis) HS, RHP

Scott Boras representation won't scare off Tigers, who have paid over slot for Rick Porcello and Casey Crosby.

10. Washington Nationals (for not signing Crow)

Tyler Matzek, Capistrano Valley (Calif.) HS, LHP

Matzek won his last outing, struck out nine in 5.2 innings. Polished and poised.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/MLB_Draft/entry/view/24493/mock_draft_update_a_couple_of_georgia_prep_players_switch_slots_

1) Washington Nationals - Stephen Strasburg, RHP San Diego State

Hey, that was easy! Strasburg has been the presumptive number one pick the entire draft process. He's a generational talent who gives a much beleaguered fan base real cause for celebration. I don't think he's going to stay healthy for 2,000 innings, but I wouldn't say that about many pitchers. I've been lucky enough to see him in person a couple times this year and when I looked into his eyes it was like the first time I heard The Beatles.

2) Seattle Mariners - Dustin Ackley, CF University of North Carolina

The drop-off between the first and second pick is generally precipitous, and in this year the case is no different. Even at this late point in the evaluation process, there are half a dozen prospects still in serious contention for the No. 2 overall pick. New Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik made his name as a player evaluation guru, overseeing the Brewers surge in home-grown talent. The Brewers favored hitters during Mr. Z's tenure...enter Dustin Ackley the 2009 draft's best hitter. While his power may never be much better than average, Ackley is a 70 hitter and 70 runner on the 20-80 scouting scale with tremendous patience at the plate. He's one of the safest players in a draft brimming with uncertainty. I'd be mildly shocked if Seattle passed on Ackley, although I hear they plan on turning him into a LOOGY reliever.

3) San Diego Padres - Donavan Tate, CF Cartersville HS (GA)

The rebuilding process in San Diego is just getting underway and a key part of the process is addressing an organizational void in high-ceiling talent. The most athletic high schooler in the country, Tate will be expensive to buy away from his commitment to play baseball and football at UNC. While some people within the Padres organization still prefer college players such as Grant Green, Kyle Gibson or even Aaron Crow, I think Tate wins out. His biggest flaw is that he's still raw, and as a result, his pitch recognition skills are a little underdeveloped. The Padres teach patience as well as it can be taught.

4) Pittsburgh Pirates - Wil Myers, C Wesleyan Christian Academy (NC)

Myers ranked No. 18 in my most recent draft board so going fourth overall would seem like a stretch. However, trying to peg what the Pirates are going to do is always a dicey proposition. More importantly, the Pirates' brass seems to be focusing significant financial resources into the Latin American market this summer. Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano seems likely to command as much money as a top five pick. Myers is very athletic and versatile with a solid approach at the plate and good power potential. He should be able to stay at catcher and profiles as above-average offensively and defensively at the position. If the Pirates can come to a "handshake" below-market deal, Myers could be the pick.

5) Baltimore Orioles - Tanner Scheppers, RHP St. Paul Saints

The Orioles have established one of the best groups of young players in the game. The rebuilding effort is not complete however, and I think the Orioles address pitching pretty heavily in this draft. All the high school pitchers are still on the board at this point, nabbing Matzek, Turner, Miller or Wheeler here certainly makes some sense. Baltimore has had good success getting high profile college players in the last couple of drafts, which may give Scheppers a slight leg up. If their medical staff gives Scheppers the green light, he would provide the type of high-upside, polished fireballer who could make an impact very soon. A Matusz/Scheppers one-two punch would give plenty of support to Baltimore's Jones/Markakis/Wieters offensive core.

6) San Fransisco Giants - Tyler Matzek, LHP Capistrano Valley High School (CA)

You can arrange the top five or six high school pitchers in just about any order you want this year. I view Matzek as the best. His combination of terrific mechanics, advanced control, and multiple breaking balls give him the highest floor of any prep hurler in this draft. The Giants have had great success in recent years developing pitchers, and despite their anemic offensive, you can never have enough pitching. Ideally the Giants would prefer to bolster their offense, but there doesn't look to be good offensive value at this point in the draft. Should Donavan Tate still be on the board, he's a real possibility. Rich Poythress is an outside possibility but would be a bit of a stretch at number six.

7) Atlanta Braves - Zack Wheeler RHP, East Paulding High School (GA)

A strong-armed, local high school product with good upside going to the Braves, you say? This is a classic Atlanta pick, and rumor is pretty heavy they love the Dallas, Georgia native. High school pitching looks to be the best value on the board at this spot in the draft, and the Braves develop it well. Wheeler has a big fastball, 92-95 mph with fantastic late life and hard downward movement. His breaking ball is a big slurvey pitch that projects as an out pitch. He generates a tremendous amount of leg drive and shows great core strength, making me think even more velocity is possible with slight adjustments to his arm action -- he's a little slow picking the ball up, wasting some of the energy he creates. The sky's the limit for Wheeler, and I can't see him falling past the Braves.

8) Cincinnati Reds - Kyle Gibson RHP, University of Missouri

The Reds are pretty hard to figure out, in terms of draft strategy. They show a slight preference for college players, but aren't afraid to select high schoolers. They'll take players at solid value, but will stray away from convention as well (Yonder Alonso over Justin Smoak). Gibson is a big guy with solid stuff and without obvious effort in his delivery. He has also been very productive this year, and his advanced command should allow him to move pretty quickly though the minor leagues. I'm not a huge fan but I understand that I'm in the minority.

9) Detroit Tigers - Aaron Crow RHP, Forth Worth Cats

The ninth overall selection should feel familiar to Crow, who was unsigned as the ninth pick in last year's draft. There has been a lot of talk that Detroit is leaning towards a high school hitter with this pick like Mike Trout or Wil Myers, but the Tigers always prefer strong arms in the draft. Crow is pretty awful mechanically, but the Tigers wouldn't really mind if he settled in as a late-inning reliever in short order.

10) Washington Nationals - Mike Minor, LHP Vanderbilt

The Nationals will likely look to cut some sort of deal with the 10 pick. Some may overblow the need to go below-slot with this pick. The Nationals offered Mark Teixeira more money than the Yankees did last winter and saved cash in the draft last year by not signing Crow. GM Mike Rizzo recently told BA's Jim Callis, "We do see this draft as one where the guy we take with the No. 10 pick might be No. 25 on someone else’s board," Rizzo said. "But if we take, say, Chad Jenkins or [California outfielder] Brett Jackson or whoever, it’s because we think he’s the 10th-best guy in the draft." If you think Chad Jenkins or Brett Jackson is the 10th-best prospect, you should have your head examined. Mike Minor could be affordable and represents much better value than someone like Jackson or Jenkins.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/05/24/2009-mlb-mock-draft

1. Nationals-Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego St.

It will cost a fortune, but even the Nationals can’t screw this one up.

2. Mariners-Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, North Carolina

The Mariners have loaded up on pitching in recent drafts, but this year they will go with the best available bat.

3. Padres-Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri

The Padres are known for reaching to save money. Gibson is a good pitcher, but he isn’t the second best pitcher in the draft. However, he might be willing to take a little below slot.

4. Pirates-Alex White, RHP, North Carolina

The Pirates are in need of talent all over the field, and White may be the best prospect still on the board.

5. Orioles-Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul

High ceiling righty would add another great arm to the stable the O’s are putting together.

6. Giants-Tyler Matzek, LHP, California HS

The Giants had great success with a couple of high school hurlers in 2007 when they drafted Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson. They could look to go that way again if the top prep pitcher is still on the board.

7. Braves-Donovan Tate, CF, Georgia HS

Everyone knows the Braves love local talent, and Tate could be the best athlete in the draft.

8. Reds-Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth

Supposedly the Reds were close to pulling the trigger on Crow last year. I doubt they would pass on him again.

9. Tigers-Jacob Turner, RHP, Missouri HS

The Tigers aren’t afraid to spend big money in the draft, so they likely won’t hesitate to meet the big demands of Turner.

10. Nationals-Mike Leake, RHP, Arizona St.

Leake has been arguably the 2nd best pitcher in college baseball this year. The Nationals would love to add another fast mover to go along with Strasburg.

http://www.futureredbirds.net/2009/05/25/mock-draft-10/

1. Washington Nationals – Stephen Strasburg, San Diego State (RHP) Junior

2. Seattle Mariners- Dustin Ackley, UNC (1B/CF)

3. San Diego Padres- Aaron Crow, Fort Worth Cats (RHP)

4. Pittsburgh Pirates- Alex White, UNC (RHP)

5. Baltimore Orioles- Tyler Matzek, Capistrano Valley HS (LHP)

6. San Fransisco Giants- Grant Green, USC (SS)

7. Atlanta Braves- Donovan Tate, Cartersville HS (OF)

8. Cincinnati Reds- Kyle Gibson, Missouri (RHP)

9. Detroit Tigers- Brett Jackson, California (OF)

10. *Washington Nationals- Shelby Miller, Brownwood HS (RHP)

http://flagrantfouls.com/2009/05/mlb-mock-draft-20/

1. Washington National

Stephen Strasburg - RHP

He is without a doubt the best overall prospect in the 2009 draft. Strasburg has managed to strike-out an unthinkable 133 batters in only 97 innings. He became a national name last year with some of the most brilliant pitching performances of the last decade.

2. Seattle Mariners

Dustin Ackley - 1B - OF

Ackley has seemingly been .400 his whole college career. He might not be elite power hitter yet, but Seattle is weak across the board in every other position as well. The son of former Red Sox minor league catcher John Ackley, he is a gamer in every sense of the word.

3. San Diego Padres

Aaron Crow - RHP

Crow is undeniably one of the most talented pitchers in this draft. After failing to sign with the Nationals last year, he pitched brilliantly for the Fort Worth Cats. Because of his elite skills and amazing pitch movement, Aaron Crows stock will only go upward from this point forward.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Donovan Tate - OF

Donovan Tate, a tremendously gifted individual, is the best all around athlete in the draft. Tate is a four-tool center fielder who never fails to demonstrate all his physical gifts. He is among the premier athletes in this draft in running, throwing, catching and hitting for power.

5. Baltimore Orioles

Kyle Gibson - RHP

Standing tall at 6-5, Gibsn came into Missouri with a different challenge then most other college pitchers, he was a beanstalk. The Nationals selected Kyle in the 36th round but there was never a real chance that he would sign. Gibson was able to put on some pounds, while also putting some speed on his ever- increasing fastball. He arrived throwing 89-91, currently his fastball velocity spreads from 91-95. He was a critical part of Team USA, helping them stay undefeated with his record of 5-0, with 25 strikeouts.

6. San Francisco Giants

Alex White - RHP

White’s split finger is what will allow him excel at the next level. His presence has a calming influence that affects everyone around him. He is great under pressure, and never gets worked up. He had 77 strikeouts and 26 walks with a record of 7-1. White has blossomed into a great all around pitcher and will be a big help to his Major League Club.

7. Atlanta Braves

Zach Wheeler - RHP

This Georgia native is not just another All-American High School star. What attracts scouts most is his physique; he has a perfect pitcher’s frame. When he pitches, not only does he make it seem effortless, but he demonstrates perfect mechanics as well. He throws a 94 mph four-seamer as well as an amazing curve that spans from 76-79, with a late break and tight spin.

8. Cincinnati Reds

Matt Purke - LHP

Purke is a very versatile player. He has a very loose arm and a strong upper body. When pitching, he slings his arm around as though he were slinging the ball over the plate. His mechanics do not appear as clean and smooth as Maztek, but that is mainly because of his strange release. He is one of most well rounded left-handers in the top 10 and it should be no surprise to see this Texas fireballer dominate opposing hitters throughout his career.

9. Detroit Tigers

Grant Green - SS

Southern California shortstop Grant Green has been on the prospect radar for a long time. He was a Louisville Slugger, Freshman All-American, Pac-10 Co-Freshman of the Year, and a Second-Team All American for Baseball America as well. Green’s defensive skills are extremely impressive; he is the best all around shortstop in this draft.

10. Washington Nationals (Compensation for not picking Aaron Crow)

Tyler Maztek - LHP

Maztek, a Capistrano Valley High School pitcher, is the most polished left-handed prep pitcher in the 2009 MLB Draft. He brings an unusual arm for a high school pitcher, while showing plenty of strength as well as a plus breaking ball. Typically, he pitches his fastball at 90-91 MPH. He could speed it up to anywhere from 93-96 MPH, without a noticeable change in effort.

http://scoutingthesports.com/?p=3179

Draft#:1

Washington

Stephen Strasburg

Ht/Wt: 6-4/230 lbs

Position:RHP

Drafted From:San Diego State

Draft#:2

Seattle

Dustin Ackley

Ht/Wt: 6-1/190 lbs

Position:CF/1B

Drafted From:UNC

Draft#:3

San Diego

Donovan Tate

Ht/Wt: 6-3/200 lbs

Position:CF

Drafted From:Cartersville HS (GA)

Draft#:4

Pittsburgh

Aaron Crow

Ht/Wt: 6-2/205 lbs

Drafted From:Fort Worth Cats

Draft#:5

Baltimore

Tanner Scheppers

Ht/Wt: 6-4/200 lbs

Drafted From:Fresno State

Draft#:6

San Francisco

Shelby Miller

Ht/Wt: 6-4/215 lbs

Drafted From:Brownwood HS (Tex.)

Draft#:7

Atlanta

Zach Wheeler

Ht/Wt: 6-4/180 lbs

Drafted From:East Paulding HS (Ga.)

Draft#:8

Cincinnati

Alex White

Ht/Wt: 6-3/190 lbs

Drafted From:UNC

Draft#:9

Detroit

Jacob Turner

Ht/Wt: 6-4/205 lbs

Drafted From:Westminster Christian Academy (Mo.)

Draft#:10*

Washington

Tyler Matzek

Ht/Wt: 6-3/210 lbs

Position:LHP

Drafted From:Capistrano Valley HS (Calif.)

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2009

1. Washington Nationals - Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State

The Buzz: Considered by many to be the best prospect in the draft's history, Strasburg boasts a fastball that sits at 98mph, and has been clocked as high as 102 on the gun. He already has two strong secondary offerings (a curveball and a slider) and is fresh off a no-hitter of Air Force in his final home start of his collegiate career. He currently has racked up 164 strikeouts and only 17 walks in 87 1/3 innings. Unreal. As a Boras client, he will not be easy to sign, but he will likely accept a record-setting signing bonus in the $15-20 million range.

2. Seattle Mariners - Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, North Carolina

The Buzz: Baseball America calls Ackely the best overall amateur hitter in the country, and it shows as his average is hovering over .400 in his Junior season with the Tar Heels. Although he has been limited to first base because of arm strength concerns, Ackley's best value comes as a center fielder, so scouts were thrilled to see Carolina trot him out there twice last weekend against NC State.

3. San Diego Padres - Alex White, RHP, North Carolina

The Buzz: White's year has been highlighted by the one-hitter he tossed against U Miami on April 17, and he has stayed steady since then. He has a mid-90s heater that has good movement and is incredibly well polished after three years of facing tough ACC competition.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates - Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri

The Buzz: Gibson stands at an imposing 6-foot-6 and features a fastball that sits at 90 with good life. He has put up close to an 8:1 strikeout to walk ratio for Missouri this season, and is arguably the most Major League ready pitcher in this year's class.

5. Baltimore Orioles - Grant Green, SS, USC

The Buzz: Nobody has done more to hurt his draft stock this year than Grant Green. After a great performance in the Cape Cod League, Green has struggled mightily this season and has put his draft position in serious doubt (not to mention the fact that he is a Boras client.) To help me sort through this enigma, I contacted Baseball Prospectus' prospect guru, Kevin Goldstein, and Baseball America's draft expert Jim Callis to hear their opinions. Goldstein said that he does not see the Padres taking Green, even though their pick was a popular one to slot him in after his dynamite Cape performance. Callis believes that Green will go between picks five and ten, in part because the draft is so thin on position players. Since he fits one of Baltimore's biggest needs, and because they have shown no fear of dealing with Boras clients in the past, I will tentatively place Green at fifth overall, even though I do so with very little confidence.

6. San Francisco Giants - Donovan Tate, OF, Cartersville HS (GA)

The Buzz: Tate is a toolsy and well-rounded player who is already committed to UNC for both baseball and football, so he should be hard to sign. However, Tate has great projectable upside, and with the Giants' organization-wide need for position players, he makes a lot of sense here.

7. Atlanta Braves - Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS (GA)

The Buzz: The Braves love local high school products (just ask Adam Wainwright, Jeff Francoeur, or Brian McCann, among others) and Wheeler looks to be the next one. Wheeler possesses a fastball that ranges from 91-95 and a hard slurve, which he throws in the mid-70s. He's got consistent mechanics and if he's on the board, it's hard to see the Braves pass up on this kid.

8. Cincinnati Reds - Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth Cats (Independent)

The Buzz: After failing to sign with the Washington Nationals during last year's draft, Crow is back in the pool again and is one of the top right-handers in this year's crop. He has a strong mid-90s fastball and a power slider that can hit 85 on the gun. In his most recent outing for Forth Worth, Crow threw four strong scoreless innings.

9. Detroit Tigers - Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS (CA)

The Buzz: Armed with a low-90s fastball and three extraordinarily well developed secondary pitches, especially for a high schooler, Matzek is the top prep arm in this year's draft class. The Tigers should have no problems signing him, so Matzek would be a great get if he falls to the them at nine.

*10. Washington Nationals - Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood HS (TX)

The Buzz: This young high-ceiling righty has got electric stuff although he struggles at times with his command. Right now he seems to be a moderately safe player from a signability standpoint. This is especially important because of the fact that the Nats will have to dish out record-breaking money to land Strasburg, and they will need to take a player with this pick who they know they can sign.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-vines/mlb-draft-preview---part_b_205730.html

This is actually the best mock I have seen done to date. I could really see things happening like this.

TSN Mock 6/3

Where do you see Chad James being taken? I see this mock had him falling out of the first round, and he would be an absolute steal if he fell to 2:5. If I had to guess, James is a back half of the first/sandwich pick guy, but stranger things have happened.

Archived