Taking a look at some early mock drafts...

I'm pretty comfortable with these ten in this order except for White (until I see him live):

1. Stras

2. Matzek

3. Scheppers

4. White

5. Crow

6. Tate

7. Green

8. Purke

9. Ackley

10. Gibson

I assume you have Ackley 9th because you think he is stuck at 1st. If so, I would agree with that.

I might be a bit timid with Scheppers. I'd prefer not to draft guys with recent injuries at the top of the draft, but he is probably sound.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume you have Ackley 9th because you think he is stuck at 1st. If so, I would agree with that.

I might be a bit timid with Scheppers. I'd prefer not to draft guys with recent injuries at the top of the draft, but he is probably sound.

I think Scheppers is an easy sign (he isn't sitting out another year) and 94-98 with a plus curve and an average curve works for me. Crow has the better stuff, but there's more info on Scheppers right now, and his arm action is a little better. I'd be fine swapping them.

I would argue he's the best athlete in the entire draft.

He's raw, and would certainly take much longer to reach the Majors. But having watched the video of him all I can say is "Holy @#$@#$!".

He might be worthy of a 5th pick. I suspect the O's will look at a pitcher with the pick as there are plenty to choose from - Crow, Scheppers, Matzek, Purke, etc... I suspect Ackley will be gone, and Green will have scared us off with his senior year. Plus, I know Jordan LOVES those toolsy high school types....Might we end up with Tate?

Sure, it's possible. Tate has a great tool set, and I don't see him as particularly "raw". He worked counts consistently against the top talent all summer and shows good instincts and baseball IQ in the field and on the bases. I think somewhere along the way "toolsy" and "athlete" got all mixed up with "raw" or "project". It's possible to be toolsy, athletic and relatively refined.

One big drawback on Tate is he'll likely cost a lot.

EDIT -- As an aside, my vote for "best athlete" probably goes to D’Vontrey Richardson, FSU

I think Scheppers is an easy sign (he isn't sitting out another year) and 94-98 with a plus curve and an average curve works for me. Crow has the better stuff, but there's more info on Scheppers right now, and his arm action is a little better. I'd be fine swapping them.

Scheppers at #5 could be very interesting. Adding another power arm to our arsenal that is fairly well along in his devolpment would be really nice. I'm liking him more then Crow at this point (and in my mind his injury is a plus because he's already had it and is on his way back while Crow appears to be an injury waiting to happen)

Scheppers at #5 could be very interesting. Adding another power arm to our arsenal that is fairly well along in his devolpment would be really nice. I'm liking him more then Crow at this point (and in my mind his injury is a plus because he's already had it and is on his way back while Crow appears to be an injury waiting to happen)

I'm still hoping for Matzek, but Scheppers (being sound) probably has a short road to the majors.

Well, it's always good news to see someone come back from a shoulder injury and still be able to snap a good breaking ball and maintain his velocity. That quells some of my concerns.

Well, it's always good news to see someone come back from a shoulder injury and still be able to snap a good breaking ball and maintain his velocity. That quells some of my concerns.

I guess what concerns me is coming back from a shoulder injury and being a pitcher that depends on a curve ball. I imagine it would not be an immediate concern, but I tend to avoid that type of player.

I guess what concerns me is coming back from a shoulder injury and being a pitcher that depends on a curve ball. I imagine it would not be an immediate concern, but I tend to avoid that type of player.

"Depends" may or may not be a strong word. I have no idea how often he throws his breaking ball (or plans on throwing it moving forward).

"Depends" may or may not be a strong word. I have no idea how often he throws his breaking ball (or plans on throwing it moving forward).

Right . . . I am assuming things and that is a big assumption.

Right . . . I am assuming things and that is a big assumption.

Well . . . to put it another way . . . I think a sizable part of his value is the ability to throw a curve ball. If the structural integrity of his shoulder is suspect, then it might be something where it may not suit him to heavily rely on his curve ball a la Eric Bedard. To me, that possibility reduces his value and makes me hesitant.

It may be that his shoulder is completely sound and I am making too much of a big deal about it. I think there are valid concerns, though. If I had a mid-round pick, I would feel comfortable rolling the dice, but at the top . . . the perceived risk makes me hesitant in investing the money and the opportunity presented with a top 1st round pick on a player on which one of his greatest attributes may amplify a potential negative.

Of course, I may be concerned over nothing big.

Well . . . to put it another way . . . I think a sizable part of his value is the ability to throw a curve ball. If the structural integrity of his shoulder is suspect, then it might be something where it may not suit him to heavily rely on his curve ball a la Eric Bedard. To me, that possibility reduces his value and makes me hesitant.

It may be that his shoulder is completely sound and I am making too much of a big deal about it. I think there are valid concerns, though. If I had a mid-round pick, I would feel comfortable rolling the dice, but at the top . . . the perceived risk makes me hesitant in investing the money and the opportunity presented with a top 1st round pick on a player on which one of his greatest attributes may amplify a potential negative.

Of course, I may be concerned over nothing big.

That all makes sense -- if only we could see those medicals....:)

That all makes sense -- if only we could see those medicals....:)

Was it a fractured shoulder blade that put him out or am I thinking of someone else?

I tend to worry much more about tendon and ligament damage with pitchers than I do about bone breaks (unless we are talking about the elbow). I still have high hopes for him (I was really hoping we'd take him 2nd round and give him first round money last year.)

Was it a fractured shoulder blade that put him out or am I thinking of someone else?

I tend to worry much more about tendon and ligament damage with pitchers than I do about bone breaks (unless we are talking about the elbow). I still have high hopes for him (I was really hoping we'd take him 2nd round and give him first round money last year.)

Initial reports were "stress fracture" which no one really believed. Then a second opinion listed it as an impingement in his shoulder (which was believed to coincide with some tearing of the labrum).

Initial reports were "stress fracture" which no one really believed. Then a second opinion listed it as an impingement in his shoulder (which was believed to coincide with some tearing of the labrum).

Ahhh, that's why I couldn't remember, cause no one could give a straight answer. Thanks.

As long as he's looking good in these couple starts, I'm still on board.

So did he have surgery or did he rehab it? The initial reports from St. Paul looks pretty good.

Archived