Taking a look at some early mock drafts...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seattle has had someone there to watch all of his sessions/appearances.

I hope they take him so Ackley falls to us...

Strasburg

Scheppers

Matzek

Gibson/Crow

Ackley

That would be my ideal draft scenario...

I would love to see up grab Ackley if hes still there. Hes the best hitter in the draft, and hitters are much more successful in the first few rounds. We can grab some arms in the later rounds. But if he is there i sure hope we take him. I think he can recover from his arm injury and his bat is impressive.

Do you guys think he will be available?

Who else would you like to see us take?

I would love to see up grab Ackley if hes still there. Hes the best hitter in the draft, and hitters are much more successful in the first few rounds. We can grab some arms in the later rounds. But if he is there i sure hope we take him. I think he can recover from his arm injury and his bat is impressive.

Do you guys think he will be available?

Who else would you like to see us take?

Right now, my ideal rounds 1-5 would be something like (staying somewhat realistic):

1:5 - Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capastrano HS

2:5 - Matt Davidson, 3B/1B, Yucaipa HS

3:5 - Tommy Mendonca, 3B, Fresno St.

4:5 - Dustin Dickerson, 1B, Baylor (surprised more sources aren't covering him)

5:5 - Ian Krol, LHP, Neuqua Valley HS (As much as 2nd round money)

Right now, my ideal rounds 1-5 would be something like (staying somewhat realistic):

Would love to see this happen.

Davidson has dropped down that far?

Davidson has dropped down that far?

Depends on who you talk to. Personally, I don't think he drops to the 2nd round (no matter what Baseball America says, ;)). My guess is he'll go in the late 1st or the supplemental round. If he is gone, there's still a lot to choose from at that range.

If I'm grading this draft, that's my best pick right there. That gives us a potential #1/2 lefty in the first and another 2/3 lefty in the 5th.

I'd be real happy with those 5 in the first 5 rounds. And like last year "In Jordan we trust", I have every confidence that Jordan will pick the best player available.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated 5/14

Draft#:1

Washington

Stephen Strasburg

Ht/Wt: 6-4/230 lbs

Position:RHP

Drafted From:San Diego State

Draft#:2

Seattle

Dustin Ackley

Ht/Wt: 6-1/190 lbs

Position:CF/1B

Drafted From:UNC

Draft#:3

San Diego

Donovan Tate

Ht/Wt: 6-3/200 lbs

Position:CF

Drafted From:Cartersville HS (GA)

Draft#:4

Pittsburgh

Aaron Crow

Ht/Wt: 6-2/205 lbs

Drafted From:Fort Worth Cats

Draft#:5

Baltimore

Tanner Scheppers

Ht/Wt: 6-4/200 lbs

Drafted From:Fresno State

Draft#:6

San Francisco

Alex White

Ht/Wt: 6-3/190 lbs

Drafted From:UNC

Draft#:7

Atlanta

Tyler Matzek

Ht/Wt: 6-3/210 lbs

Position:LHP

Drafted From:Capistrano Valley HS (Calif.)

Draft#:8

Cincinnati

Shelby Miller

Ht/Wt: 6-4/215 lbs

Drafted From:Brownwood HS (Tex.)

Draft#:9

Detroit

Grant Green

Ht/Wt: 6-3/185 lbs

Position:SS

Drafted From:USC

Draft#:10*

Washington

Zach Wheeler

Ht/Wt: 6-4/180 lbs

Drafted From:East Paulding HS (Ga.)

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2009

Here's some more updated lists

1. Washington - Steven Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State - Yeah, when you throw a no-hitter with your future team's front office in the audience, you're pretty much a rock star. I hear Lastings Milledge already hates him. Previously: #1.

2. Seattle - Dustin Ackley, OF, North Carolina - The time has come to take off the first baseman tag from Ackley. He played a full nine innings in center field this weekend, all in a single game, and his arm held up fine. Add that to the fact that he's a .400 hitter in the ACC and you have yourself a solid #2 pick. Previously: #2.

3. San Diego - Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul Saints - This is a fluid pick, and I reserve the right to change it tomorrow morning when I see how Scheppers does tonight. He's slated to go another 75 pitches or so from what I read last time, so I should know more by tomorrow morning. Power pitcher in San Diego. Match found. Previously: #11.

4. Pittsburgh - Aaron Crow, RHP, Ft. Worth Cats - Same goes for this pick. I reserve the right to change my mind. I think the general audience has underestimated just how good Crow is. He was the top college pitcher taken in a strong class last year, just one without a Strasburg. Don't hold that against him. Previously: #6.

5. Baltimore - Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS (CA) - Although the battle for first prep pitcher taken is far from done, there's quite a few things working in Matzek's favor. In a year with a lot of uncertainty, he offers good upside while being more advanced than your normal prep arm. Baltimore could add him to the stack of pitching and young hitting. Previously: #8.

6. San Francisco - Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri - Gibson's usage is really starting to worry me. It was about the same point a year ago when I started wondering if teammate Aaron Crow's arm would hold out long enough to get him a first round slot. However, Gibson's command is still the best, and he's a safe, solid pick. Previously: #5.

7. Atlanta - Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS (GA) - This is one of the few picks this week that I don't have to take a look at my mock draft spreadsheet. I just know his name fits here if he's available. Good upside, above-average prep polish, local product. Check, check, check. Previously: #7.

8. Cincinnati - Alex White, RHP, North Carolina - While his teammate took a step forward this weekend, Alex White was busy getting relatively beaten up by a helpfull NC State squad. Not a good outing at a pivotal time for White. I'd suspect there were a number of scouts present, hoping to see a Strasburg-like outing from him. Crushing blow. Previously: #3.

9. Detroit - Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS (TX) - Even with all the questions about his lack of lower body use in his delivery, I'm hearing way too many good things about Purke to ignore him. He's probably a top ten guy now, and Detroit would be lucky to have him. He's also a slot sign. Previously: #12.

10. Washington - Tim Wheeler, OF, Sacramento State - And this week's lucky winner is Tim Wheeler. I think he's surpassed Jared Mitchell quite easily with another impressive weekend, and it's time to start thinking of Wheeler as a legit prospect for this bargain slot of signability. Previously: #28.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/5/11/872106/2009-amateur-draft-mock-5-round-one

1. Washington Nationals

Stephen Strasburg, San Diego State, RHP

Only bolstered his stock with a 17-strikeout no-hitter in his last start.

2. Seattle Mariners

Aaron Crow, Fort Worth Cats (Independent), RHP

Showed rust in pitch-count monitored appearances, but velocity still is there.

3. San Diego Padres

Kyle Gibson, Missouri, RHP

While others stumble, Gibson keeps on climbing. His signability

is even more attractive to Padres.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Alex White, North Carolina, RHP

Still mediocre after giving up three runs in six innings in a loss. Five walks are a concern.

5. Baltimore Orioles

Dustin Ackley, North Carolina, 1B/OF

The guy continues to rake, hitting over .400. Showed more power with a weekend homer.

6. San Francisco Giants

Grant Green, USC, SS

Drove in two in limited duty this weekend, now hitting .365.

Glove remains a question.

7. Atlanta Braves

Donovan Tate, Cartersville (Ga.) HS, OF

Hometown boy seems like a fit; dad Lars played at UGA and in the NFL.

8. Cincinnati Reds

Matt Purke, Klein (Texas) HS, LHP

Could he be Homer Bailey all over again? Throws just as hard, signable.

9. Detroit Tigers

Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian (St. Louis) HS, RHP

The reports of his velocity climbing to 98 have him climbing up the board just as fast.

10. Washington Nationals (for not signing Crow)

Tyler Matzek, Capistrano Valley (Calif.) HS, LHP

Continues to be the most polished high school pitcher in the draft. Boasts four pitches with above-average to plus command. Has poise.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/MLB_Draft/entry/view/24088/mock_draft_update_zack_wheeler__kyle_gibson_performing_at_right_time

1. Washington Nationals -- RHP Stephen Strasburg, San Diego State

2. Seattle Mariners -- RHP Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian Academy

3. San Diego Padres --1B Dustin Ackley, University of North Carolina

4. Pittsburgh Pirates -- RHP Alex White, University of North Carolina

5. Baltimore Orioles -- LHP Tyler Matzek, Capastrano Valley HS

6. San Francisco Giants -- RHP Tanner Scheppers, St. Paul Saints

7. Atlanta Braves -- OF Donavan Tate, Cartersville HS

8. Cincinnati Reds -- RHP Kyle Gibson, University of Missouri

9. Detroit Tigers -- RHP Shelby Miller, Brownwood HS

10. Washington Nationals -- RHP Matthew Purke, Klein HS

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009_mvn_mlb_mock_draft.html

1 Washington Stephen Strasburg, RHP San Diego State 6-4/230 R/R 1 1