5/5 O's at Tampa

baseballnelie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should that have been caught? I'm listening on the radio.

I don't know if it should have been, but it maybe could have been. They gave it a pretty good effort though. More bad luck than lack of effort.

Should that have been caught? I'm listening on the radio.
No, no chance at that one. He couldn't have placed that any better.

Maybe if it was a hitter other than Longoria Nick wouldn't have been playing so deep, but there was no chance for any of those guys to get to that ball.

Alright, so BABIP is more useful as a pitcher's stat. Got it.

But, and I'm not trying to start that type of argument, nor am I trying to defend him, I think this is where OldFan and I start to kind of roll our eyes at stats like this.

My point is, you said yourself, it's a stat based on luck. Luck is not a measurable entity. Nobody has any control over it. A pitcher can't help how good the defense is behind him. As we all know, a defender can fail to record an out he should have made without committing an error. If Pie didn't make that catch last night, it would not have been an error if it dropped in, it would have been a hit like any other. Sherrill was fortunate that Pie is fast as crap and made a fantastic catch. That's all there is to it.

For my money, I'd rather look at a stat like WHIP and see how often a pitcher is allowing baserunners. If it's frequently, that's not good. I think it tells more of the story behind a pitcher's success or failure than any other. If a guy is allowing almost two runners PER INNING, he can't really expect good results, right? Conversely, if a pitcher is allowing less than one runner an inning, that's great.

I know BABIP isn't the end-all-be-all of statistics, but it seems silly to me. Just doesn't tell me, personally, all that much.

Although, as it was mentioned in the DCab scenario, it can have a direct effect on other things (WHIP and ERA, to name a few).

Alright, so BABIP is more useful as a pitcher's stat. Got it.

But, and I'm not trying to start that type of argument, nor am I trying to defend him, I think this is where OldFan and I start to kind of roll our eyes at stats like this.

My point is, you said yourself, it's a stat based on luck. Luck is not a measurable entity. Nobody has any control over it. A pitcher can't help how good the defense is behind him.

The point of the stat is that it can tell you if a pitcher's current stats are going to continue. If his BABIP is low, then his current ERA is lower than it should be. If his BABIP is high, then his current ERA is higher than it should be. Ostensibly, everything should even out at the end of the season. Of course, that doesn't always happen.

unlucky inning. I didn't see what happened on the ball to Mora on MASN. They were a little late switching cameras. Should he have had it?

Currently MLB Gameday does not have this play listed as an error. Is this a mistake on their part? The ball went right through his legs.

Archived