5/5 O's at Tampa

baseballnelie

There is so much stuff about baseball that you can learn. That's what helps make it the ultimate sport, or at least the most number filled one. The statistics are amazing.

I need a good baseball book for this.

This is very true.

This thread, on our very own Orioles Hangout has been extremely helpful for me in trying to learn some of this stuff. Check it out.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Additionally, I would presume that strikeouts are much more likely to happen with 5 or fewer pitches. If a batter can get wood on the ball and consistently foul off pitches, it shows that he's nearly got it.

I don't have the numbers at hand but this seems counter-intuitive to me. The deeper hitters go into counts consistently the more they are likely to strike out. They'll also walk more, but they will probably K more as well. This is true of three true outcome hitters like Dunn.

Hitters who don't see a lot of pitches typically have poor pitch recognition and slap at pitches early in the count. These types of hitters will typically K less, put the ball into play more, but also make weaker contact on the whole.

It's only the sixth inning and we're only up by two runs, but it's somewhat encouraging to know that if we win today we'll have the same W-L record as last year's league champions. :o

I don't have the numbers at hand but this seems counter-intuitive to me. The deeper hitters go into counts consistently the more they are likely to strike out. They'll also walk more, but they will probably K more as well. This is true of three true outcome hitters like Dunn.

Hitters who don't see a lot of pitches typically have poor pitch recognition and slap at pitches early in the count. These types of hitters will typically K less, put the ball into play more, but also make weaker contact on the whole.

This could be true, I really don't know. However, do most strikeouts occur in deep counts? It's possible that while deep counts lend themselves to strikeouts, they don't contribute to much of the bulk of strikeouts.

Archived