5/5 O's at Tampa

baseballnelie

A BABIP example:

In this outing Koji Uehara recorded 20 outs and allowed 8 hits. 8 of his recorded outs were strike-outs, so that leaves 20 balls put in play. Out of those 20 balls in play, 8 of them fell for hits, which gives him a .400 batting average on balls put in play.

This tells you that Koji probably pitched better than his line indicated, although it's tough to tell in such a small sample size.

If Koji continued to give 6.2 inning performances, striking out 8 and walking 1, you would expect his ERA to be much lower than 4.91, even though his H/9 in this particular outing was over 9.

Blah, tough night for Koji.

That's the thing though: Koji didn't have a good outing. It started good, but the 6th and 7th were not good innings for him, ultimately ruining the quality start he had going to that point.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the thing though: Koji didn't have a good outing. It started good, but the 6th and 7th were not good innings for him, ultimately ruining the quality start he had going to that point.

He had a ball go through Mora's legs and a blooper fall in between three fielders. He was unlucky, not poor.

He had a ball go through Mora's legs and a blooper fall in between three fielders. He was unlucky, not poor.

I'm inclined to agree with this. His stuff was obviously nasty. Perhaps he tired in the 7th and made poor pitches, but it sure seemed to me that he got pretty unlucky.

Then again, I can't watch the game today so I was just following on gameday.

My impression was that it was only a bad outing if you are going by outcomes, not performance.

I'm inclined to agree with this. His stuff was obviously nasty. Perhaps he tired in the 7th and made poor pitches, but it sure seemed to me that he got pretty unlucky.

Then again, I can't watch the game today so I was just following on gameday.

My impression was that it was only a bad outing if you are going by outcomes, not performance.

Right. Today's outcome was bad but if he pitches like this in the future you can expect the outcome to be much better.

Archived