Rowell: .302/.368/.447 (as of May 7)

Frobby

That OBP aint too shabby for him either.....Wouldnt it be great if he could climb back up everybody's prospect lists? If he turns it around as he as, this means a lot for this organization, suddenly we dont look so lacking in the positional talent dept.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From today's BA's Chat :

John (all over the place!): Is this the year we finally see Billy Rowell and Joe Benson have breakout-type seasons? They've been much more consisten the past week or so...can they become top prospects again this year?

J.J. Cooper: I'm not expecting one for Rowell. Rowell's been pretty consistent all year, but his ceiling just seems a good bit lower than it once was, especially when you consider that he's now an outfielder. As far as Benson, I do think he has a better chance because he's got a lot more tools than Rowell. As a potential power hitting center fielder, I'd give him a better chance of a breakout, although I'd expect with him it's still a year or two away if it's going to happen.

This is the 2nd consecutive week that BA put down Rowell.

Come on Rowell, prove them wrong!!!

His ba, obp and ops are worth getting excited about, IMO. His numbers show strong growth from last year. Still, lots of Ks (and lots of multi K games - even recently) and too few BBs.

Yeah, fair enough, though a walk rate of 10 BB in 106 PA's is not terrible. That's quite a bit higher than Snyder's BB rate at Frederick last year, and slightly better than Snyder's BB rate at Bowie this year. The K's are a bigger issue that the BB's right now.

From today's BA's Chat :

John (all over the place!): Is this the year we finally see Billy Rowell and Joe Benson have breakout-type seasons? They've been much more consisten the past week or so...can they become top prospects again this year?

J.J. Cooper: I'm not expecting one for Rowell. Rowell's been pretty consistent all year, but his ceiling just seems a good bit lower than it once was, especially when you consider that he's now an outfielder. As far as Benson, I do think he has a better chance because he's got a lot more tools than Rowell. As a potential power hitting center fielder, I'd give him a better chance of a breakout, although I'd expect with him it's still a year or two away if it's going to happen.

This is the 2nd consecutive week that BA put down Rowell.

Come on Rowell, prove them wrong!!!

I gotta be honest, but from hearing people who have seen him in person call his swing long and slow, it makes me wonder what his ceiling actually is anymore. Sure maybe now he is starting to hit the ball, but is he cheating to get his hands through? When he was drafted he was supposed to have plus bat speed if I remember right, but if he has lost this bat speed, then what are we looking to get out of him? I mean, people go see Snyder, they say "wow, he can really hit", "He looks like a pure hitter". Why is it that every experience people have on Rowell isnt so good, not even based on getting hits but on his swing......I really want this kid to succeed, but I have a hard time thinking he will be successful with slow hands and no power potential (if his hands really are slow).

Can somebody/anybody please tell me something about him to regain some confidence in this kid's ability to hit and eventually become what his orginial ceiling suggested?

I gotta be honest, but from hearing people who have seen him in person call his swing long and slow, it makes me wonder what his ceiling actually is anymore.

And you believe these people because ......

How many 20 year olds put up 800+ ops at Frederick the past five years?

I gotta be honest, but from hearing people who have seen him in person call his swing long and slow, it makes me wonder what his ceiling actually is anymore. Sure maybe now he is starting to hit the ball, but is he cheating to get his hands through? When he was drafted he was supposed to have plus bat speed if I remember right, but if he has lost this bat speed, then what are we looking to get out of him? I mean, people go see Snyder, they say "wow, he can really hit", "He looks like a pure hitter". Why is it that every experience people have on Rowell isnt so good, not even based on getting hits but on his swing......I really want this kid to succeed, but I have a hard time thinking he will be successful with slow hands and no power potential (if his hands really are slow).

Can somebody/anybody please tell me something about him to regain some confidence in this kid's ability to hit and eventually become what his orginial ceiling suggested?

Let's just see where this is at the end of 2009. Rowell was working with the coaching staff to change his swing a bit this spring. It looks as though those changes are starting to pay off. Or, maybe he's just had a hot two weeks -- that happens, too. As I've said a million times, the kid is 20 years old, still very young for the Carolina League. If he finishes the year with numbers like he has now, maybe just ticked up a little bit, I'll be thrilled.

I don't know much about J.J. Cooper, but I don't necessarily take everything he says as gospel truth. If it was coming from Lingo, Callis or Manuel I'd take it a bit more seriously, but in any event, Rowell's a work-in-process so what some guy says on May 8 doesn't really concern me.

Keep it up Billy. My 4 favorite positon players in the minors now are Riemold, Snyder, Rowell, and of course Weiters. I really think all of these players will contribute for the big league club one day. Anything over 800 ops for all these guys would be a great year

And you believe these people because ......

How many 20 year olds put up 800+ ops at Frederick the past five years?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I believe that is answer I was looking for.....I need to get out and see him play with my own eyes.

I'll start by saying I like Rowell and I'm rooting for him. Would be great if he could put up big numbers this year and regain his top prospect status. But thinking about it, I have more support for Jordan's theory of drafting players with tools. Rowell really needs to hit for a high average and hit for power to have any chance to make it in the big leagues. He won't be making it based on his speed or defense. He's really only a 2-tool player, which gives him less opportunity.

If you draft a player with more tools, even if they are not as well developed at that stage (someone like Avery), there are more ways they can make it to the big leagues.

Again, I hope he has a great year and becomes a top power prospect.

I'll start by saying I like Rowell and I'm rooting for him. Would be great if he could put up big numbers this year and regain his top prospect status. But thinking about it, I have more support for Jordan's theory of drafting players with tools. Rowell really needs to hit for a high average and hit for power to have any chance to make it in the big leagues. He won't be making it based on his speed or defense. He's really only a 2-tool player, which gives him less opportunity.

If you draft a player with more tools, even if they are not as well developed at that stage (someone like Avery), there are more ways they can make it to the big leagues.

Again, I hope he has a great year and becomes a top power prospect.

I like your theory, it makes sense. Also, if your toolsy guy reaches his ceiling, he is more dangerous IMO than just a 2 tool guy. The 5 tool guy has more weapons on offense and defense.

I like your theory, it makes sense. Also, if your toolsy guy reaches his ceiling, he is more dangerous IMO than just a 2 tool guy. The 5 tool guy has more weapons on offense and defense.

When it comes to potential - it all depends on the ceiling for those "tools". If one or both of the two tool guy's "tools" comes with a ceiling signifcantly higher that the toolsy guy's tools ceiling then it might make sense to take the two tool guy. For example, if your potential multi-tool guy has a ceiling of Mike Cameronesque numbers vs your potential two tool guy has the ceiling of Frank Thomas' bat I'd prefer the Frank Thomas' bat assuming both guys had the same likelyhood of hitting their ceiling.

I saw him a couple of times last year and then last evening (Friday). He was hitless against a very good lefty but I was quite impressed with the change from last year. He was on the ball with good compact swings making good contact. Based on that one game, my observation is that there is signficant improvement.

Archived