Rowell: .302/.368/.447 (as of May 7)

Frobby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep the kid in Frederick all year unless Bowie needs him for a playoff push or something.

Disagree that a playoff push should be the only reason for a promotion, if he really gets red hot and really lights it up over an extended period there is no reason to hold him back. Barring that, staying in Frederick for the year would be fine IMO.

Disagree that a playoff push should be the only reason for a promotion, if he really gets red hot and really lights it up over an extended period there is no reason to hold him back. Barring that, staying in Frederick for the year would be fine IMO.

Well yea, I can agree with this....If it is at the point where he isn't even challenged, then promote him.

Rowell needs to improve both sides of the BB/K ratio before I would consider a promotion. That said, another tick up in his numbers closer to 900 ops would be promotion worthy - IMO, generally, but again I want more BBs and fewer strikeouts.

Rowell needs to improve both sides of the BB/K ratio before I would consider a promotion. That said, another tick up in his numbers closer to 900 ops would be promotion worthy - IMO, generally, but again I want more BBs and fewer strikeouts.

Good point here. Let's remember that Markakis got promoted from Frederick in late July 2005 after posting .300/.379/.480. Nick was striking out once every 6.17 PA and walking once every 9.32 PA, and his K/BB was 1.5. Rowell's .303/.361/.486 isn't too far from where Nick was (or Snyder's .315/.358/.490 last year) but he is striking out once every 4.25 PA and walking once every 11.9 PA and his K/BB is 2.8. I agree I'd like to see improvements on both sides of that equation. Still, I'm very happy with Rowell's progress so far in 2009 and hoping that as the year goes on he's going to build on his strong start and post even better numbers.

Wow, Rowell is really starting to show something! Him turning it around makes our positional talent look a whole lot better, atleast better than it did last year at this time. Weiters, Rowell, Reimold, Snyder, Avery and Hoes to me are our top positional talent and 4 out of these 5 guys are smoking hot right now and that 5th guy not hitting yet is sure to turn it on pretty soon, his hitting tools are too good not to(Hoes). There was talk I believe on BA that Hoes may find his way onto the top 100 list this year as he got an honorable mention last year I believe. If Avery continues to perform as he has, it is impossible to ignore him, we may just find our 2 best hitters from last year's draft on the BA top 100 sheet.....

I'd like to see the BBs jump a bit, but his strikeouts lately have been "good" strikeouts, if that makes sense. He's fouling some pitches and making solid swings. I really do like the aggressive approach from Billy lately, and I'm seeing him swing the bat like a man.

I think an .850-.875 OPS for a full season in Frederick would be a tremendous improvement and a very successful year.

As far as who his play in the field resembles, right now it's a mix between Adam Dunn and Pat Burrell when he makes the occassional blunder. For the most part, he's done a good job in the OF. He was also really PO'd about the dropped ball he had Sunday.

I'd like to see the BBs jump a bit, but his strikeouts lately have been "good" strikeouts, if that makes sense. He's fouling some pitches and making solid swings. I really do like the aggressive approach from Billy lately, and I'm seeing him swing the bat like a man.

I think an .850-.875 OPS for a full season in Frederick would be a tremendous improvement and a very successful year.

As far as who his play in the field resembles, right now it's a mix between Adam Dunn and Pat Burrell when he makes the occassional blunder. For the most part, he's done a good job in the OF. He was also really PO'd about the dropped ball he had Sunday.

POd because he was even out there in the first place right? I mean, he has a really bad attitude right? Real cocky? Doesn't take any coaching? Certainly would never mature? :D

Good to see him coming around with the stick and giving effort with the glove.

Archived