5/17 - O's at KC Royals - Koji for the rubber?

bobmc

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, Baseball prospectus predicted the O's to have the 2nd highest OPS in the american league this season, so they have the hitting. They might not hit a lot of three run homers but they have four guys (Roberts, Jones, Markakis and Huff) that could go for 40+ doubles this season.

I do not want anyone running if they can not succeed at a 70%+ clip, to include pickoffs. Roberts is at 8 of 11 for 73% not including pickoffs. From my own recollection (which might be wrong) I can recall him getting picked off three times this season which would put his aggregate rate at 57%. His agression is currently costing the team runs.

May, FRobinson, BRobinson Singleton, Ripken, Murray, Baines, Powell, Baylor, Grich etc versus, Huff, Nick, AJ, Scott, Mora. I will let you decide.

Also you put the reins on Roberts, you limit his effectiveness. Can you quantify the walks, and fastballs Nick and AJ, And Huff have gotten while the pitchers are worried about where Roberts is.

KC's 2B could play SS for most teams. Great range and seems to have a nice arm.

I'm sorry, but that's far from the truth. Callaspo is nearly a liability at 2nd base, he's only out there because Gordon is on the DL, and Teahen moved from 2nd to 3rd. He has swung a nice bat (among league leaders in doubles), but his defense is not great at all...

I really like hit and runs, of course much better when they're executed properly! It helps you stay out of the double run ball a lot. Mora is a pretty good contact hitter so he's much better than this, wonder what happened there.

I know this is late, but that was a horrific at bat by Mora.

Absolutely horrible.

It was very obviously a hit and run, but my god, we don't have to hit and run every single time there's a slow guy on first base. That said, there's no excuse Mora couldn't at least make contact there. It's not like Hochevar is throwing 96 mph.

Then he flails away at a slider in the dirt.

Just bad.

I'm sorry, but that's far from the truth. Callaspo is nearly a liability at 2nd base, he's only out there because Gordon is on the DL, and Teahen moved from 2nd to 3rd. He has swung a nice bat (among league leaders in doubles), but his defense is not great at all...

Really? Interesting - he's looked pretty good this series. GREAT range wow. Except for his error today, the error yesterday was defintely NOT an error so I don't hold that against him.

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this or not... but a pretty hilarious development from the Rays game today.

The Rays listed two third basemen on their lineup card on Sunday, causing them to lose their designated hitter.

The plan was for Evan Longoria to DH and bat third on Sunday, but he was listed at third, along with Ben Zobrist. Since he didn't take a position in the top of the first, the Rays have now had to go to starting pitcher Andy Sonnanstine as their No. 3 hitter.

Needless to say, there will be some sort of "What did Joe Maddon do wrong tonight?" thread on rayshangout.com. ;)

I mean seriously, has anyone ever seen such a notable blight from a manager? Then again, isn't someone other than the manager responsible for filling out the lineup card for some teams?

That would be a good question to ask in the postgame. I can see having Roberts try to steal in the first, but don't see the logic in Huff doing a straight steal with 0 outs in the second.

Def a hit and run. DT calls that more often than not on a 3-1 count. Sadly, it's regardless of who is on 1st, who is hitting and whether the pitcher is struggling to throw strikes.....

Not to mention everyone in the league knows it's coming.

Rant over....

Really? Interesting - he's looked pretty good this series. GREAT range wow. Except for his error today, the error yesterday was defintely NOT an error so I don't hold that against him.

Yes, it seems like he's constantly missing grounders, tags at second, etc.

He's lucky he's only been charged with the errors he has been...

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this or not... but a pretty hilarious development from the Rays game today.

Needless to say, there will be some sort of "What did Joe Maddon do wrong tonight?" thread on rayshangout.com. ;)

I mean seriously, has anyone ever seen such a notable blight from a manager? Then again, isn't someone other than the manager responsible for filling out the lineup card for some teams?

LOL wow - to lose Longorias bat. Jeez, that's a big hurt. Hey probably that pitcher will end up having a hit or something!

That would be a good question to ask in the postgame. I can see having Roberts try to steal in the first, but don't see the logic in Huff doing a straight steal with 0 outs in the second.

It again looked like a straight steal. They seem to want to run on KC but agreed, Huff on a 2-0 pitch with no outs is strange. He was safe however.

Archived