Nolan Reimold

Frobby

It was the first play of the game. How many slow leadoff hitters are in the league? It is obvious Reimold knew who was running the bases. The ball got behind him because he made a bad route on the line drive. He then quickly ran to make up for the 1st bad play and then quickly threw the ball in without even looking (his 2nd mistake). And you know this because nobody was even covering 2nd base. It isn't like he thought there was a play at 2nd base.

Caroms, path to the balls, and positioning are completely different for LF and RF.

I agree with your last statement. That "internal clock" that should tell him where they play should be when he turns around ticks at the same rate whether your in right field, center field, or left field. He should have known with his back turned that the play was to third. It's instinctive and Reimold is lacking in this area.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with your last statement. That "internal clock" that should tell him where they play should be when he turns around ticks at the same rate whether your in right field, center field, or left field. He should have known with his back turned that the play was to third. It's instinctive and Reimold is lacking in this area.

A little leaguer knows to throw to 3rd there.

I don't really know Reimold as well as you and Tony, but I don't really put much weight into a players "instinctive" abilities.

I don't really know Reimold as well as you and Tony, but I don't really put much weight into a players "instinctive" abilities.

Fair enough. I respect and accept your opinion, TyCobb. :D

I'd also like to reiterate...I think the guy will overcome what he lacks defensively by more than making up for it with his bat. He filled the holes in his swing through hard work and an inclination to accept help from coaches. Maybe that same work ethic will enable him to minimize these instinctive lapses? Who knows.

To be blunt...I think Nolan Reimold is going to be a fine Major League Baseball player. ;)

Good lord! What are you getting all worked up over?!?! We're TALKING!!!

Your OPINION implied that I was rushing to judgement based on one play. I was explaining that my OPINION was based on WAY more than that one play.

I haven't misinterpreted ANYTHING that you said. And suggesting that I'm not open to opinions that don't coincide with mine here is beyond ridiculous. I'm faster than Curtis Granderson from first to home to jump up and admit I was wrong/over-reacted. I'm even faster to admit when I've had my mind changed or opinion swayed by someone here. More than a few people can vouch for that here.

However, feel free to pretend like anything I said was intended to somehow stifle your opinion. I'm trying to talk and explain, bro. When you're done with your whining and temper tantrum, it'd be awesome if you got back to doing the same thing.

Fine. I'm out of here permanently. Re-read my first post and your reaction to it. Unbelievable.

Fine. I'm out of here permanently. Re-read my first post and your reaction to it. Unbelievable.

I agree. You are most certainly unbelievable. To recap...I mentioned last night's play, you quoted me and responded:

I don't think there's enough basis to jump to that conclusion. It was simply a rookie mistake by someone with very little experience playing LF. I think he'll be a solid LFer. He seems to get solid jumps on balls - except for balls hit right in front of him - which seems to be a problem for a lot of OFers.

I said I didn't base it on one play, but more on what I also saw of him at the minor league level. I said as much here:

What are you talking about??? I didn't base that on one rookie mistake. I watched him in Bowie and saw the same thing. Tony's watched him since he came to the organization and made the same observation. It was an example that supports my conclusion on Reimold's defensive abilities. It was hardly me passing judgement on one play. :rolleyes:

So you tell me to calm down? Because I shared my opinion and elaborated on where I was coming from? Was it the extra question marks? The smiley?

Oh calm down. Has he played much left field? Is he a rookie?

Have i nominated him for a gold glove?

Again...I explained where I was coming from. You quoted my remarks about that specific play, mind you, and said THAT wasn't enough to base it on. Your action, your words.

You insinuated a rushed to judgement based on one play. I didn't. It's an observation I made (as did Tony) when Reimold was in the minors. You're free to pretend that his arrival to the big leagues makes those observations null and void, but I won't.

He's played enough outfield to draw the conclusion that he lacks the sharp baseball instincts that even guys with less athletic ability seem to develop. I'm not saying Reimold's a bust or even a liability. I personally think he'll be serviceable. I was just pointing out the play from last night as an example of what I observed of Reimold at the minor league level.

I didn't even say you suggested he's a gold glove candidate, so why don't you calm down a little?

And I'm still not sure why, but that got your drawers twisted:

What??????????????????????????????????? I'm not going to calm down now.

I simply gave my opinion!!! And it wasn't the same as your opinion. That's all I did. Nothing more.

If you want me to stop giving my opinions when they don't coincide with yours, I'll be more than happy to stop visiting here and go somewhere else.

Ya know yesterday, Mackus misinterpreted what I said. I pointed it out to him, and he showed class by immediately saying - Yeah, you're right. I read your post wrong. Well, I'm pointing out to you and Tony for the second time, you misinterpreted my post.

There's no room for misinterpretation. You quoted me directly on a remark about last night's game. If you meant that Reimold's entire body of work isn't enough basis, then you should have said that.

It's also worth pointing out that, if you had a similar miscommunication with another poster here just yesterday...maybe the breakdown is on your end?

I'm still puzzled, mildly amused, and a little weirded out that, based on this exchange, you're taking your crayons and going home.

I never disrespected you (except for the warranted whining/tantrum comment) or your opinion or even suggested that you couldn't/shouldn't share said opinion. I was trying to discuss and explain. Not sure what you were up to really.

He hasn't even played LF for that long though, and this is his first month in the big's.

It is certainly possible that he has some lapses and doesn't have the 100% "it" that guys like Markakis and Jones have, but I agree with the others that think it's a bit early to be saying for sure that he will be doing these things throughout his major league career, regardless of what you or anyone else saw him do in the minors.

I don't think anyone said it's a sure thing that he'll do this throughout his Major League career. The observation was made of Reimold at the minor league level over the last two seasons (even more than that in Tony's case) and it's easy to conclude that these minor lapses appear to be carrying over so far. I'd like to think it won't and that he'll get better at it over time, but I'm not convinced based on what I've seen so far.

You two are either being way too sensitive, or you're reading something into my post that I didn't mean to imply. In my opinion... it's too early to conclude that he'll make those types of mistakes (throwing to second base when there's nobody covering and the runner's already there) throughout most of his career - because he's a rookie who has very little experience in LF.

You've got to explain to me how saying that opinion should ruffle anybody's feathers.

Whether he plays LF or RF is no different when it comes to having instincts. Also, contrary to some people's opinions, players don't suddenly play a different game in the major leagues. Reimold is a very talented young man who has 421 minor legaue games of experience, not to mention college, high school, summer league and little league under his belt. during this minor league time he has shown a penchant for doing things like throwing to the wrong base or hesitating because he wasn't sure where to go with a throw.

Perhaps he will gain some better instincts the more he plays, but it comes down to the fact that when he does things like this, it's not just "roookie nerves" or "needng time to adjust," but rather par for his career.

Again, this does not make him a terrible outfielder and I certainly believe when it comes down to it he can be an average to slighly above-average defensive left fielder in the big leagues. He moves well when underway, he tracks balls pretty well to the left or right of him and has a strong arm that at times can be accurate.

The only thing that frustrtates me a bit is when people chalk it up to the big leagues. Same with base running. Base runnig is no different in the big league s so unless the guy just started to play the day he made the big leagues, a rookie mistake on the base paths is really a big misnomer in my opinion.

What??????????????????????????????????? I'm not going to calm down now.

I simply gave my opinion!!! And it wasn't the same as your opinion. That's all I did. Nothing more.

If you want me to stop giving my opinions when they don't coincide with yours, I'll be more than happy to stop visiting here and go somewhere else.

Ya know yesterday, Mackus misinterpreted what I said. I pointed it out to him, and he showed class by immediately saying - Yeah, you're right. I read your post wrong. Well, I'm pointing out to you and Tony for the second time, you misinterpreted my post.

Lighten up, Francis ;)

Dude, you are really, really making mountain out of a molehill.

Whether he plays LF or RF is no different when it comes to having instincts. Also, contrary to some people's opinions, players don't suddenly play a different game in the major leagues. Reimold is a very talented young man who has 421 minor legaue games of experience, not to mention college, high school, summer league and little league under his belt. during this minor league time he has shown a penchant for doing things like throwing to the wrong base or hesitating because he wasn't sure where to go with a throw.

Perhaps he will gain some better instincts the more he plays, but it comes down to the fact that when he does things like this, it's not just "roookie nerves" or "needng time to adjust," but rather par for his career.

Again, this does not make him a terrible outfielder and I certainly believe when it comes down to it he can be an average to slighly above-average defensive left fielder in the big leagues. He moves well when underway, he tracks balls pretty well to the left or right of him and has a strong arm that at times can be accurate.

The only thing that frustrtates me a bit is when people chalk it up to the big leagues. Same with base running. Base runnig is no different in the big league s so unless the guy just started to play the day he made the big leagues, a rookie mistake on the base paths is really a big misnomer in my opinion.

The bolded line I have to take issue with. As you said earlier in your post, he has played so many games to get to this point. You don't just "gain" instincts. You can learn to hide your weaknesses, but IMO Reimold will never have the same instincts that we love about Jones and Markakis.

Again, like Tony said, this doesn't make him a bad outfielder or a non-MLer. He can still be the O's LFer but he is going to frustrate us at times. My only tip for Nolan is keep hitting game-winning bombs and we'll forgive some defensive lapses

Yikes. I hope you mean you don't put much weight into our ability to rate a players instincts because if you don't think baseball instincts exist then we certainly have nothing more to discuss on this subject.

I agree. You are most certainly unbelievable. To recap...I mentioned last night's play, you quoted me and responded: ...........

As a vaguely interested observer. You two are ships in the night. I am only basing my thoughts to comment in this thread. I don't know of any other comments.

This is a benign opening comment:

Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post

I don't think there's enough basis to jump to that conclusion. It was simply a rookie mistake by someone with very little experience playing LF. I think he'll be a solid LFer. He seems to get solid jumps on balls - except for balls hit right in front of him - which seems to be a problem for a lot of OFers.

Yet your comment at 11:07 and and Tony's follow up comment at 10:51 seems to take it as a personal attack to your abilities to judge a player and do seem to reading more into his comment than is really there.

Both Ruzious comment at 10:59 and your own at 11:12 should of ended it.

I disagree with this part a little bit, in a non-Reimold-specific case.

I've obviously never been called up to the big leagues, but I can imagine that a player that gets called up wants to make a good impression. So when they are out in the field or on the bases, they are probably over-thinking things when they should just be reacting to situations. I think many "rookie mistakes" probably arise from a player thinking too much and trying to make an impact rather than just sticking with the hard-wired responses that are just second nature to them. Once they get comfortable in the majors, they go back to their baseline of just instinctively reacting to things.

Archived