Nolan Reimold

Frobby

Being one of the top 3-5 Pie supporters to this point, I'm now onboard with Reimold taking over in LF permanently. Now the debate is Pie or Montanez as the 4th OF. Pie can play all 3 OF positions, can come in late in a game and provide a step up (how big is questionable) in defense. I'm not ready to give up on Pie just yet making the Olson trade a waste of time. I'd keep him around and see if anything positive can develop.

This is the answer I think we've been looking for. Reimold is LF. Pie is a great 4th OF, defensive replacement, pinch runner, left-handed pinch hitter extraordinare.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what i want to know about Reimold....What happened to him?

Last year we heard from several different people that he had poor instincts in the OF, that he had holes in his swing, that he was nothing more than a platoon player, etc....

Now, I disagreed with a lot of those assessments...It seemed to me that he made great strides last year but I also hadn't seen him play and a lot of people had the same opinion of him, so there had to be some validity to it.

So, what changed? Why has he gone from red headed step child to starting LFer in the matter of months?

Last year we heard from several different people that he had poor instincts in the OF, that he had holes in his swing, that he was nothing more than a platoon player, etc....

Now, I disagreed with a lot of those assessments...It seemed to me that he made great strides last year but I also hadn't seen him play and a lot of people had the same opinion of him, so there had to be some validity to it.

So, what changed? Why has he gone from red headed step child to starting LFer in the matter of months?

His stance at the plate was tweaked a bit last year. I don't have a link but I remember reading that they helped him stay better balanced at the plate.

His stance at the plate was tweaked a bit last year. I don't have a link but I remember reading that they helped him stay better balanced at the plate.

But that doesn't explain his lack of instincts, especially in the field.

I mean, we have always known that he had good speed, a strong arm and was very athletic but we heard a lot of negatives about his game, both offensively and defensively.

Tony was very vocal about Reimold's shortcomings...I know Tony doesn't post much anymore but if he reads this, i would like to hear his input on what he sees in terms of Reimold now vs last year.

I mean, we have always known that he had good speed, a strong arm and was very athletic but we heard a lot of negatives about his game, both offensively and defensively.

Tony was very vocal about Reimold's shortcomings...I know Tony doesn't post much anymore but if he reads this, i would like to hear his input on what he sees in terms of Reimold now vs last year.

The OP mentioned Melewski's conversation with Stockstill about Reimold putting in a lot of effort in the AFL to learn LF. Hard work to improve his defense could explain a lot of it.

A couple of things happened. I forget where I read this, but Reimold credits Brad Komminsk and Moe Hill will making some adjsutments to his stance in July or August last year that have allowed him to be more athletic and balanced at the plate. So I think that's the main answer to the "holes in his swing" issue.

Defensively, it just seems he has worked hard at it. As Melewski notes, he worked hard on his defense in the AFL. Then he played well offensively and defensively in spring training.

And you lose "red headed step child" status pretty quickly when you post a 1.200 OPS in more than a month of AAA play.

Let's just hope he's able to stay on an even keel and keep producing. He has been a very streaky player in the past, maybe these changes in his stance will allow him to be more consistent.

I would love to get a good answer on why he didn't spend last season in left field.

There will be various spinning on this, but I think the real answer is that they didn't expect him to be up here doing this, at this time. The fact that they didn't move him to LF by sending him to Norfolk at the break last year says a lot about their outlook for Reimold at the time. Also, the Pie deal probably wouldn't have happened if they had thought that Reimold had a realistic shot this year.

I think the FO has continually undervalued Reimold for whatever reason, even when it became clear last season that he had made big strides in closing the holes in his swing. He got almost 800 plate appearances at AA at an .890 OPS; instead, he could and should have been sent to Norfolk to play LF there for the 2nd half of the season. That's a move you make if you really expect him to factor into your plans.

This is a prime example of an underrated guy forcing the big club to see things his way through hard work and talent, beating down the doors to get where he wanted to be. That's the way it should be, of course, but a couple of those doors didn't have to be nailed shut.

A couple of things happened. I forget where I read this, but Reimold credits Brad Komminsk and Moe Hill will making some adjsutments to his stance in July or August last year that have allowed him to be more athletic and balanced at the plate. So I think that's the main answer to the "holes in his swing" issue.

I don't think the adjustments came that late. The improvements in his K rate and K:BB didn't start in mid-season. They were there from April on, and he had his best month of the season in May.

He should have been promoted to Norfolk at the break and put in LF. He wasn't displacing anyone there. To me it's one of their few faux pas in player development lately, but I think they have had somewhat a blind spot in his case.

I would love to get a good answer on why he didn't spend last season in left field.

Montanez should be begging the club to send him down and give him a chance to learn first base. Utility player is where he's going to end up and if he could play some infield it would really help him.

Montanez doesn't have enough bat to hold down first base. You'll see Snyder over there before Montanez, IMO.

Montanez doesn't have enough bat to hold down first base. You'll see Snyder over there before Montanez, IMO.

I think clarence was suggesting that Montanez learn first to just be a bit more versatile. I don't think it's a bad idea.

It's my job here at the site when evalutating players to be vocal about player's strengths and "short comings". I ranked Reimold the Orioles #7 overall prospect, so I think while pointing out things he needed to improve upon, I obviously felt he could become a solid major league player.

I've only seen Reimold for a few games while he's been up so I can't say what the major differences are, but I will say is that players do improve with development and the Orioles have taken their time with his development.

I just love the fact when a player does bad when he arrives it's because the organization rushed him, but when he does well he was held back. Maybe the Orioles took their time with Reimold for a reason and he's fulfilling his promise because of it? Maybe this truly is a case of very good player development.

The longer Reimold stays up here and goes through the league a few times his holes may show up. Like with any players, the league will adjust to him and it will be his job to adjust back. Perhaps he's closed some holes in his swing and from what I've seen so far he does seem more balanced at the plate. These are good signs.

But before we start throwing around "What happened" and "Why was everyone down on the guy?" Let's see how he reacts to his first slump and how he adjusts once the league adjusts to him. Also, I never really heard too many guys be totally down on Reimold. Scouts have differing opinions on him and that's probably because he's been a streaky guy over his career. If a guy catches him in a tailspin he's certainly going to get written up lower than a guy who saw him when he was red-hot.

Let's hope Reimold reaches his ceiling and becomes an impact left fielder, but the worse case for me is that he becomes 420 at bat, .260/.340/.490 guy in the big leagues and that's not too bad.

I think clarence was suggesting that Montanez learn first to just be a bit more versatile. I don't think it's a bad idea.

Of course. It's never a bad idea to be versatile.

Hell, if Ryan Freel can get roster spot because he's versatile, why not? I just don't see Lou as much other than a backup at the ML level, regardless whether he's in LF, SS or 1st base.

It's my job here at the site when evalutating players to be vocal about player's strengths and "short comings". I ranked Reimold the Orioles #7 overall prospect, so I think while pointing out things he needed to improve upon, I obviously felt he could become a solid major league player.

I've only seen Reimold for a few games while he's been up so I can't say what the major differences are, but I will say is that players do improve with development and the Orioles have taken their time with his development.

I just love the fact when a player does bad when he arrives it's because the organization rushed him, but when he does well he was held back. Maybe the Orioles took their time with Reimold for a reason and he's fulfilling his promise because of it? Maybe this truly is a case of very good player development.

The longer Reimold stays up here and goes through the league a few times his holes may show up. Like with any players, the league will adjust to him and it will be his job to adjust back. Perhaps he's closed some holes in his swing and from what I've seen so far he does seem more balanced at the plate. These are good signs.

But before we start throwing around "What happened" and "Why was everyone down on the guy?" Let's see how he reacts to his first slump and how he adjusts once the league adjusts to him.

Let's hope Reimold reaches his ceiling an becomes an impact left fielder, but the worse case for me is that he becomes 420 at bat, .260/.340/.490 guy in the big leagues and that's not too bad.

Very well said.

As you well know, it's a tough crowd around here sometimes.

But before we start throwing around "What happened" and "Why was everyone down on the guy?" Let's see how he reacts to his first slump and how he adjusts once the league adjusts to him.

Let's hope Reimold reaches his ceiling an becomes an impact left fielder, but the worse case for me is that he becomes 420 at bat, .260/.340/.490 guy in the big leagues and that's not too bad.

.260/.340/.490 is a pretty great worst case.

Especially when you figure 830 OPS is Pie best case.

Archived