Nolan Reimold

Frobby

You think Pie has a higher ceiling than Reimold's .280/.380/.550 with decent defense?

Pie's ceiling says he is a GG caliber defender who could steal a lot of bases.

He isn't likely to be a better hitter but he can be a better all around player...ie worth more wins a year.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much ado over one mistake.

Reimold is a good baseball player. That much should be obvious.

I don't think anyone is debating whether or not he's a good all-around baseball player. I got hung up in backing my criticism of his defense and don't want that point to get lost...I still think he's a good ballplayer.

How much professional baseball do you think he needs to play before it's ingrained that with THAT runner on THAT ball you go to third? If he comes up looking to third, he'd have found the cutoff man. It's not the other way around.

Geez, not sure if I even want to join the discussion, but...

This was the first time that Nolan Reimold ever faced the in game reality of Ichiro Suzuki. He is unlike any other player in the game. If you want to talk about baseball insticts, he's Exhibit A. And, he has a way of forcing you to make a perfect play. Now, Nolan's wasn't only not perfect, it was darn near aweful. But, until that play, I was pretty pleased with Reimold's performance in LF, and remain more than satisfied with his overall play. Still think he's a step above Luke defensively, and a giant leap over Pie for his overall play. For all Pie's potential his ceiling today isn't anywhere near what scouts thought it was in 2006, or 2007, or 2008 (and that ceiling has gotten lower every year as he's provided more data for review).

Geez, not sure if I even want to join the discussion, but...

This was the first time that Nolan Reimold ever faced the in game reality of Ichiro Suzuki. He is unlike any other player in the game. If you want to talk about baseball insticts, he's Exhibit A. And, he has a way of forcing you to make a perfect play. Now, Nolan's wasn't only not perfect, it was darn near aweful. But, until that play, I was pretty pleased with Reimold's performance in LF, and remain more than satisfied with his overall play. Still think he's a step above Luke defensively, and a giant leap over Pie for his overall play. For all Pie's potential his ceiling today isn't anywhere near what scouts thought it was in 2006, or 2007, or 2008 (and that ceiling has gotten lower every year as he's provided more data for review).

I think the fact that he was dealing with a fast runner is all that Reimold needed to know. "Guy's got wheels" should have been playing in his head. By the time he picked that ball up he should have known the play was at third.

I, too, have been satisfied with Reimold's defensive play so far minus the two gaffes. I hope he makes me eat my words. He had holes in his swing at Bowie two years ago that I didn't think could be plugged. However, he worked his butt off and fixed it. Maybe the same can happen for him defensively? I'm not so sure, but time will tell.

I'll say that whenever I hear of a major-leaguer making a "rookie" mistake, I get a little annoyed. Mostly because I started playing my first year of "clinic" ball at six, and most major-leaguers probably started playing organized ball within a couple years of that, so by the time they are rookies they have been playing for 14-18 years. Even accounting for position switches and things like that, you would think they would have this kind of thing down cold by the time they get to the major-league level.

I like the "making a good impression" explaination, especially in our case since we have two guys up here right now that could take his place in left field the next play if we so desired. I just think the concept of "rookie" mistake gets overplayed somewhat.

As for the other discussion...

*Thinks for a minute*

*Shakes head vigorously*

*Slowly backs out*

;)

I'll say that whenever I hear of a major-leaguer making a "rookie" mistake, I get a little annoyed. Mostly because I started playing my first year of "clinic" ball at six, and most major-leaguers probably started playing organized ball within a couple years of that, so by the time they are rookies they have been playing for 14-18 years. Even accounting for position switches and things like that, you would think they would have this kind of thing down cold by the time they get to the major-league level.

I like the "making a good impression" explaination, especially in our case since we have two guys up here right now that could take his place in left field the next play if we so desired. I just think the concept of "rookie" mistake gets overplayed somewhat.

Sure. That said, I think it's safe to say that young players make more mistakes of this ilk than veterans.

As for the other discussion...

*Thinks for a minute*

*Shakes head vigorously*

*Slowly backs out*

;)

Now I cannot say I agree with this. Reimold has never had a shot on the big stage, so this is new to him. Hes been waiting his entire life for this moment, so of course hes gonna have the jitters. Its a lot different trying to focus in a neutral situation than it is to focus when your nerves are going crazy.... This is completely different here in front of 40k+ fans in a major league stadium on TV for millions of viewers to watch. Its not the same from minors to majors, I do not care how many years youve been playing.

A good example of this is acting, it is easy as anything to practice your lines in your room by yourself, you can have down every single itty bitty line down perfectly, but as soon as you step onto that stage,you forget all your lines and just stand there like a deer in the headlights......Its a similar situation.....People make boneheaded plays from time to time, and I really do not know whats the cause of Reimold making mental mistakes(which we were always taught are worse than physical ones) but I will say that the idea of a rookie mistake is very viable and a possibility for Reimold.

As for the question if Pie has a higher ceiling than Reimold, before this season I would have said yes, but not anymore. Even if Pie reaches his ceiling,which is much less now to me than ti was before I saw him play, I would rather have Reimold's ceiling. They are both pretty toolsy guys, Pie has more speed and a better defensive guy while Reimold has more power and hitting ability.

I, too, have been satisfied with Reimold's defensive play so far minus the two gaffes. I hope he makes me eat my words. He had holes in his swing at Bowie two years ago that I didn't think could be plugged. However, he worked his butt off and fixed it. Maybe the same can happen for him defensively? I'm not so sure, but time will tell.

On that, I think we can all agree. :)

And let the venom begin....

Well, it wasn't really a routine play, but still one he should have made.

That said, it's a joke when people expect that we NEED to have the perfect defensive & offensive left fielder.

Archived