Nolan Reimold

Frobby

It would have been nice if Pie hit just a little while he was. That's really the difference in these scenarios, IMO. I agree with you and I wasn't all over Pie like others. But that's why people aren't complaining right now.

But Pie did start to hit some(752 OPS in May and hit a little better at the end of April) and he has walked more(both in terms of walks and percentage wise) than Reimold has thus far.

Don't get me wrong..Reimold seems to be the better hitter right now and he obviously has more power...But Pie deserves more of a chance than he is getting and Reimold also deserves the same treatment that Pie got on this board...But that won't happen because Reimold played in the Orioles organization last year and Pie didn't. That has always been the problem.

I don't care if Pie had at bats in Chicago or not..he is still basically a rookie and is younger than Reimold.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Pie did start to hit some(752 OPS in May and hit a little better at the end of April) and he has walked more(both in terms of walks and percentage wise) than Reimold has thus far.

Don't get me wrong..Reimold seems to be the better hitter right now and he obviously has more power...But Pie deserves more of a chance than he is getting and Reimold also deserves the same treatment that Pie got on this board...But that won't happen because Reimold played in the Orioles organization last year and Pie didn't. That has always been the problem.

I don't care if Pie had at bats in Chicago or not..he is still basically a rookie and is younger than Reimold.

Right, the fact that Pie DID start to heat up at the plate still has me incredibly intrigued about his potential. But as I said last night, I'm pretty confident in Reimold's ability to be our LF'er on a contending team.

BTW, I don't agree that Reimold should be getting the same treatment that Pie got. Pie was treated unfairly on here, and two wrongs don't make a right. Doesn't mean it's fair, but still.

Right, the fact that Pie DID start to heat up at the plate still has me incredibly intrigued about his potential. But as I said last night, I'm pretty confident in Reimold's ability to be our LF'er on a contending team.

BTW, I don't agree that Reimold should be getting the same treatment that Pie got. Pie was treated unfairly on here, and two wrongs don't make a right. Does mean it's fair, but still.

Actually, you are right.

I guess I should say that people should be looking at Nolan under a microscope just as much as they did Pie.

I mean, Pie made a few mistakes early on in the field and people said he was a bust(and now he is very good out there)...Reimold makes some mistakes and people jump on those who have talked about it for a while and say things like, its only 12 games, etc...

Now, I agree with those people...Give the kid a chance to adjust....but that same courtesy should have been given Pie as well.

Absolutely...still, we are a better team with Pie in LF and Reimold DH'ing...assuming Pie can get his OPS to 750-800.(which we won't know if Pie doesn't get a chance to play)

If Reimold is a .820-.840 OPS kind of player right now, then we are not a better team with Pie in the outfield and Reimold DHing, even if we are generous and assume that Pie is a .775 OPS player. This is even more evident when you consider the fact that Scott is in the middle of a hot streak where he's basically God with a baseball bat.

Current: .830 OPS LF (Reimold) and .880 OPS DH (Scott).

Your proposal: .775 OPS LF (Pie) and .830 OPS DH (Reimold)

I'm just doing a quick estimate in my head, but Pie's defense would probably have to be worth like 20 or 30 runs over Reimold's for your proposal to make us a better team. That's a pretty freakin' huge difference for Pie to make up, especially when we consider that Reimold is generally regarded to be an average, or at worst, a tick below average defender.

And Scott has a very good chance to be a contributor to the next good O's team (2010 or 2011). Failing that, every at-bat he takes has the chance to make him a more valuable trading chip at the deadline or during the offseason. So to take at-bats away from him, a very good, proven, player who is relatively cheap, is detrimental in almost every possible way.

I'll accept the notion that Pie may not have received a fair shake. But he did have a non-trivial amount of playing time to prove that he was worthy of a starting LF spot. And while he might have started to show glimpses of possibly turning the corner, he basically blew it. Reimold, on the other hand, took his opportunity, which was far more limited than Pie's, and basically ran to the moon with it. If Trembley threw out dime-a-dozen filler like Wigginton or Freel out there every day instead of Reimold and Scott, then you'd have a legit beef. But we are above average currently in both LF and DH (and among the best in the league at DH.)

If Reimold is a .820-.840 OPS kind of player right now, then we are not a better team with Pie in the outfield and Reimold DHing, even if we are generous and assume that Pie is a .775 OPS player. This is even more evident when you consider the fact that Scott is in the middle of a hot streak where he's basically God with a baseball bat.

I'm just doing a quick estimate in my head, but Pie's defense would probably have to be worth like 30 or 40 runs over Reimold's for your proposal to make us a better team. That's a pretty freakin' huge difference for Pie to make up, especially when we consider that Reimold is generally regarded to be an average, or at worst, a tick below average defender.

And Scott has a very good chance to be a contributor to the next good O's team (2010 or 2011). Failing that, every at-bat he takes has the chance to make him a more valuable trading chip at the deadline or during the offseason. So to take at-bats away from him, a very good, proven, player who is relatively cheap, is detrimental in almost every possible way.

I'll accept the notion that Pie may not have received a fair shake. But he did have a non-trivial amount of playing time to prove that he was worthy of a starting LF spot. And while he might have started to show glimpses of possibly turning the corner, he basically blew it. Reimold, on the other hand, took his opportunity, which was far more limited than Pie's, and basically ran to the moon with it. If Trembley threw out dime-a-dozen filler like Wigginton or Freel out there every day instead of Reimold and Scott, then you'd have a legit beef. But we are above average currently in both LF and DH (and among the best in the league at DH.)

Well, you are also not taking into account what we may get in trade for Huff or Scott, thus allowing those moves.

I would much rather have that scenario than the current one.

I'm just doing a quick estimate in my head, but Pie's defense would probably have to be worth like 30 or 40 runs over Reimold's for your proposal to make us a better team. That's a pretty freakin' huge difference for Pie to make up, especially when we consider that Reimold is generally regarded to be an average, or at worst, a tick below average defender.

Hallas nails every part of this post. I think he wins the thread now.;)

I agree with Hallas. Pie would have to improve tremendously at the plate to compensate for the amount of power that Reimold brings to the team. It is amazing to me that after 18 games, O's fans are quick to turn coat on a guy who last week was championed as a hero after hitting 3 homeruns and given some of the credit for the improved team morale. Fan references to t-ball and Little League seem a bit disprespectful for a homegrown O's prospect in his first month in the big leagues. Welcome to Baltimore where you can't win for losing!

Actually, you are right.

I guess I should say that people should be looking at Nolan under a microscope just as much as they did Pie.

I mean, Pie made a few mistakes early on in the field and people said he was a bust(and now he is very good out there)...Reimold makes some mistakes and people jump on those who have talked about it for a while and say things like, its only 12 games, etc...

Now, I agree with those people...Give the kid a chance to adjust....but that same courtesy should have been given Pie as well.

This is Reimold's first stint in the majors. It took awhile for Montanez to adjust to ML ballparks. Perhaps Reimold is still doing the same.

Pie had stints in the majors before, hence why he had the shorter leash.

You can't compare Reimold's ML experience to Felix Pie's.

This is Reimold's first stint in the majors. It took awhile for Montanez to adjust to ML ballparks. Perhaps Reimold is still doing the same.

I think we need to give both of them some slack because they are both learning new positions.

You've got to be kidding me. How many starts did he have in LF with the Cubs?

You're just being ridiculously biased. Hell, Pie is YOUNGER than Reimold.

I'm just doing a quick estimate in my head, but Pie's defense would probably have to be worth like 20 or 30 runs over Reimold's for your proposal to make us a better team. That's a pretty freakin' huge difference for Pie to make up, especially when we consider that Reimold is generally regarded to be an average, or at worst, a tick below average defender.

Super post here. The only thing I'll quibble with is the fact that I think Pie was evaluated by the Orioles and found to be lacking as an everyday guy, not that he wasn't given a "fair shake". He's just not going to hit enough to be an every day left fielder. Center fielder maybe one day, but not left field and center field is pretty locked in for us. Reimold has much more potential with the bat and although Pie is a better defender, Reimold belongs in LF over Pie IMHO.

Super post here. The only thing I'll quibble with is the fact that I think Pie was evaluated by the Orioles and found to be lacking as an everyday guy, not that he wasn't given a "fair shake". He's just not going to hit enough to be an every day left fielder. Center fielder maybe one day, but not left field and center field is pretty locked in for us. Reimold has much more potential with the bat and although Pie is a better defender, Reimold belongs in LF over Pie IMHO.
I agree with this completely. I really like Pie as a 4th OF, but I think the odds of him ever hitting enough to justify starting in LF are slimming and we have to give Reimold time there and with Scott scalding right now, we can't DH Reimold and play Pie in LF.

Great post Tony! :clap3:

The "Pie not getting a fair shake" refrain is getting old. It's Reimold's time now.

I agree with this completely. I really like Pie as a 4th OF, but I think the odds of him ever hitting enough to justify starting in LF are slimming and we have to give Reimold time there and with Scott scalding right now, we can't DH Reimold and play Pie in LF.

This might very well be true, but I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion 25-30 games into the season. Kinda seems like he should have been playing everyday for half a season to come to that conclusion.

Well, it makes it easier to defend Reimold, because he's been crushing the ball. Pie really didn't do anything very well. (For the record, I am a Pie supporter.)

Archived