What is Law's guess?

Matzek, Crow, White, Gibson, Miller, Purke, Wheeler...and those are just the pitchers that are viewed at or about the same level as Scheppers.

If Wheeler is in there, I would think youd hafta include Turner, though Wheeler has advanced command....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ChaosLex said:

Roch,

Keith Law seems to think the O's will draft Scheppers in the 1st round. Do you think it's a possibility? He's an injury risk for sure, but you gotta love the fact that he's considered the best arm in the draft not named Stephen Strasburg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's possible. Lots of names being thrown around. That's a good one. - Roch

http://masnsports.com/2009/05/another-clue-about-tomorrows-s.html

I love Roch! :clap:

If Wheeler is in there, I would think youd hafta include Turner, though Wheeler has advanced command....

I like Wheeler, don't like Turner. Turner is all projection, as of right now he doesn't throw as hard as people think he does, low 90's. People are guessing that he will add more when he fills in a bit, my problem is he only has one other pitch, and it's inconsistent, and his command isn't really great. Too much projection for me, I like a little more polish.

Wheeler is about the same height and 35lbs lighter (meaning he has more room to add) and throws as hard as Turner already. Wheeler already has a plus pitch with his curve, and his change should be ML-avg. when all said and done, he's a little more finished than Turner. I would gamble on S. Miller, Wheeler, or Purke maybe, but I'm not a Turner fan, hence why I had such a problem when Churchill took him at #2 in his mock.

I am beginning to think that Scheppers may be gone before we have a chance to pick. IMO Pirates are gonna take him.... What I dont understand is how that some web sites and "experts" are saying that Scheppers injury was definately a stress fracture, no question. The other publications are saying that it was and still is not known.....

That is why I have a problem with Scheppers, if the injury wasn't a big deal, why don't they release the med. reports? There are grumblings that whatever it was stemmed from some overuse issues at Fresno St. which is why he didn't go back to school after he didn't sign and went Indy league instead.

That is why I have a problem with Scheppers, if the injury wasn't a big deal, why don't they release the med. reports? There are grumblings that whatever it was stemmed from some overuse issues at Fresno St. which is why he didn't go back to school after he didn't sign and went Indy league instead.

I apologize if this has been covered already, but why aren't teams allowed to look at medical reports before the draft? Was there a court case about this or something? :confused:

I apologize if this has been covered already, but why aren't teams allowed to look at medical reports before the draft? Was there a court case about this or something? :confused:

They are if the reports are released to them, but someone isn't releasing the reports and I'm thinking it's Scheppers and his people.

FWIW, Scheppers is rated as Law's third best player behind Strasburg and Ackley, and ahead of Crow, Miller, and Matzek, respectfully. Like others have stated, Scheppers injury history will certainly be a huge factor in whether we draft him. However, if we do draft him, you have to be confident that Scheppers is 100% and that our front office did their homework.

FWIW, Scheppers is rated as Law's third best player behind Strasburg and Ackley, and ahead of Crow, Miller, and Matzek, respectfully. Like others have stated, Scheppers injury history will certainly be a huge factor in whether we draft him. However, if we do draft him, you have to be confident that Scheppers is 100% and that our front office did their homework.

I agree that if Scheppers is taken by us, that JJ did his homework... but I'd be surprised.

It's possible that Scheppers' records were only released to the teams.

I thought about that too, but if it had, some team would have let it "leak" to try to get him to drop down a little further so they could get a shot at him. Or at least have talked about it. All you hear though is "his shoulder looks healthy" or "he seems like he has recovered" nothing definitive or even descriptive about the injury. I just want to know what it was.

The way I see it, Scheppers and Crow are very similar pitchers. I honestly like Crows combination of upside, polish, repetoire, command and his bulldog style more than what Scheppers offers, then aside from that, Crow though he has a hitch in his delivery, has never had a major arm injury like Scheppers. You gotta think, if it was a stress fracture, wouldnt that weaken the bone where it was fractured, leaving him with the risk of running into the same arm injury.....think Adam Loewen he had like 2 or 3 stress fractures Im guessing in the same weak spot.....Crow to me is safer, his delivery hitch has been described as just that, a hitch, not a ticking time bomb as I am beginning to see in Scheppers.

Is Turner a Boras client? That would make sense if he is since we know how Boras like to use the media to favor himself and his $$$. He probably told some reporters to report that Turner is throwing mid to upper 90's to boost his stock, which he seems to have successfully done.

The way I see it, Scheppers and Crow are very similar pitchers. I honestly like Crows combination of upside, polish, repetoire, command and his bulldog style more than what Scheppers offers, then aside from that, Crow though he has a hitch in his delivery, has never had a major arm injury like Scheppers. You gotta think, if it was a stress fracture, wouldnt that weaken the bone where it was fractured, leaving him with the risk of running into the same arm injury.....think Adam Loewen he had like 2 or 3 stress fractures Im guessing in the same weak spot.....Crow to me is safer, his delivery hitch has been described as just that, a hitch, not a ticking time bomb as I am beginning to see in Scheppers.

Is Turner a Boras client? That would make sense if he is since we know how Boras like to use the media to favor himself and his $$$. He probably told some reporters to report that Turner is throwing mid to upper 90's to boost his stock, which he seems to have successfully done.

Yeah, I mean if you ignore health risks, I like both of their stuff for different reasons. I really like Crow's make-up (sorry Craw I know you hate that word) but the wrist cupping that he does can create stress in other parts of the arm and with enough repetition...well you guys have seen AJ Burnett. Exactly right on Scheppers, if it was the reported stress fracture, you have to worry about recurrences, or other issues arising from it. I'd just feel better if I knew what I was examining for instead of having to check everything in there top to bottom you know. If it's not a big deal and was a regular injury, why won't they at least say what it was?

Wouldn't surprise me with Turner, but from what I could tell he has been throwing 90-93 and topping out around 95 which is hardly Strasburg-esque, and I would take Shelby Miller or Wheeler and their secondary pitches over Turner any day of the week.

Crow's delivery may be cause for concern, but I think he'll be fine. Not to say that having an odd delivery without having health concerns is the norm, but some hitches or awkward styles work for guys. Hopefully, if Crow becomes an Oriole, his health will be fine despite not having an ideal delivery. I like his upside despite that risk, and I feel like his future health concerns may be somewhat overdone as he has a clean injury history.

Archived