Looking ahead to the 2010 MLB draft

Yeah, but a HS kid doesn't have as much to lose as a college kid. He could go play JUCO for 2 years and enter the draft each year playing for the highest sum. College kids are looking at being 22 or 23 if they play that game. If Matzek is asking for $7mil and COL offers slot and stays there, I think he goes back into the draft. That and he's got a full ride to Oregon if he wants to go that route, he's got more options than COL has.

Are there any players that were taken in the first few rounds that you would expect to see go back into next year's pool? Or any guys you see like Matzek who are tough signs that weren't drafted into the best situation?

When I saw the Rockies pick Matzek and then read the comments from him and his father about how they don't really feel rushed to jump to pro ball I had a feeling we'd be hearing about him as the top LHP in next year's draft.

Heck... Harper and Matzek being back in the draft would make me feel better about having one of the worst records in the league. Next year's draft is supposed to be better, right? Adding those two names only increases its depth.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're talking about mocks run for this year's draft, they're done and his going 11 ultimately didn't affect anything with Leake coming off early and White dropping -- can't really throw wrenches into anything at this point...

I'm talking about our discussion the other day that some people were submitting "wish lists" versus what others perceived as realistic draft expectations for Baltimore.

I'm talking about our discussion the other day that some people were submitting "wish lists" versus what others perceived as realistic draft expectations for Baltimore.

Shrug. When those individuals aren't permitted to run a negotiation, set a budget, etc., whether or not Matzek signs has little to do with anything.

I think he was the second best talent in the draft, but I wouldn't have selected him based on demands. I guess it seems like you are hinting that there is something significant to his demands or potentially not signing as relates to some posters off-the-cuff response to a "who would you have taken" question posted by Greg.

If Strasburg didn't sign would that make a poster wrong for saying he would have made the same selection as WAS?

You've been very supportive of the BAL decisions, which is fine and great. It seems like you're reaching a bit to try and show that no one should question any of those decisions. Apologies if that isn't what you're going for.

Are there any players that were taken in the first few rounds that you would expect to see go back into next year's pool? Or any guys you see like Matzek who are tough signs that weren't drafted into the best situation?

When I saw the Rockies pick Matzek and then read the comments from him and his father about how they don't really feel rushed to jump to pro ball I had a feeling we'd be hearing about him as the top LHP in next year's draft.

Heck... Harper and Matzek being back in the draft would make me feel better about having one of the worst records in the league. Next year's draft is supposed to be better, right? Adding those two names only increases its depth.

There are a few I could see going back in. I think teams aren't as scared away from taking risks to get them because they get that compensation pick the next year, compared to when it was one and done.

Matzek wouldn't shock me at all if he went to CC for a year and went back, or if he just went to Oregon.

Purke is another one I could see going to college instead, I think he was leaning that way the entire time.

I don't see the college guys doing it, it's proving riskier and riskier for them to come back the next year, there are always doubts and questions. Look at how much Crow was scrutinized.

Then there is always Strasburg, if he doesn't extort enough money he could go back. Even if he missed the year with injury he'd still be a top 5 pick next year. (also why I think he should sign because it would cost him $15mil)

You mean for next year? I don't see how it would be very confusing -- he'd be an available player to select and anyone running a mock would treat him accordingly.

If you're talking about mocks run for this year's draft, they're done and his going 11 ultimately didn't affect anything with Leake coming off early and White dropping -- can't really throw wrenches into anything at this point...

EDIT -- Just to say it again, all this is of course with the understanding that I think in most cases mock drafts are pretty useless aside from a conversation piece regardiong individual players.

Yes, the mocks that we did were based off of our opinionated BPA, but that does not take into account different draft trends. In this case the trend being $$ affecting the draft more than in recent years. The economic turndown, which affected free agency, reared its ugly head again in the 09 draft. I hope next year its different, but also, maybe it seems that this draft was bucked by the economy, when in fact it could also just be the fact that there were no clearcut first tier players aside from Strasburg and possibly Ackley. But none the less IMO it comes down to $$ and the current state of the economy and when we were doing our mock drafts, we didnt take that into account.

If Matzek is available next year, I hope we take him, but I dont see what the difference would be between 09 and 10. If we were gonna take him we would have in 2009. Im sure his asking bonus will stay the same at the very least and may even increase. I wonder whats the true cause of the 09 draft being so crazy, was it the economy and everyone's apparent lack of money, or was it truely because the talent in this year's draft wasnt as good as usual and teams wouldnt shell out 1st tier money to 2nd tier ball players regardless of if they are the BPA....

IMO next year's draft will be a bit better, it seems that it will be safer atleast. From what I can tell there will be more college talent toward the top end which I feel more confident in being able to analyze rather than estimate how well a HS player's skills will translate to pro ball with wooden bats. But then again, Joe Jordan may continue to roll with the HS players next draft to deepen our lower minors since the upper minors is flooded with talent, I guess we wont know until next year. Heck, maybe JJ drafted this many HS kids just because there was more talent available in the HS section rather than college.

Thinking about 2009's college class, god was it weak! Take away Strasburg and you have nothing but questions about the college arms, the best lefty had an ERA that resemled the price of a triple whopper meal. And college bats aside from Ackley were no real satifactory top 10 picks, atleast for me. IMO the most overlooked position player from the 09 draft was Tim Wheeler, for me he was the 2nd best position player coming from college.....

Archived