Dreaming of Sano?

Really worth the gamble, and could have something to do with some of the picks in the draft. Not going after big money guys later in the draft could have been because they are preparing to pay up to half of their draft money in bonus for this kid.

From everything I'm hearing, the kid is the next legit Dominican superstar. The problem is, most info out of the Dominican is shaky at best, so you kinda have to tread lightly, hence why they are seeing him so many times.

Really worth the gamble, and could have something to do with some of the picks in the draft. Not going after big money guys later in the draft could have been because they are preparing to pay up to half of their draft money in bonus for this kid.

From everything I'm hearing, the kid is the next legit Dominican superstar. The problem is, most info out of the Dominican is shaky at best, so you kinda have to tread lightly, hence why they are seeing him so many times.

I really hope that the draft budget is separate from the international signings budget. If we really want to build up the talent in the organization, we can't be cheap and limit the amount of draftees we sign because of an expensive international guy. Since BAL isn't the ideal place for FA's to sign, this is the arena that we need to be aggressive in, and we should give our best efforts to sign as many talented youngsters as possible. It'll be interesting to follow the international signing period and the draft signing deadline, because we've got a great chance at improving our club in the future...and as the agent in the article said, it all comes down to money.

My two favorite parts were the agent's honesty about the money. So often you hear, "My player is looking for the best fit and the best organization," so that was refreshing. I also loved that one team did a bone scan to confirm Sano's age. It's not surprising and I'm sure it has ben done before, but I thought it a kind of sad reflection of what it has come to...

And besides, if it really is all abut money, all this talk about Pittsburgh is in the lead or the Twins o Yanks have entered the picture is meaningless. They will go with the bets bid, period. If the O's, so much the better. ALthough whichever club has the top bid, I bet the agent says, "We had a good feeling abu that organization."

"I think it would be a great fit not only because they have needs for a player like Miguel Angel, but they would also have a lot of other young players surrounding him and a lot of young pitching coming up," Plummer said. "You are talking about a team with a lot of young pieces in place. What's not to like about the situation? But really in the end, it comes down to money."

You have to love the bolded part.

But, it's true, it will always come down to the italicized portion.

I really hope that the draft budget is separate from the international signings budget. If we really want to build up the talent in the organization, we can't be cheap and limit the amount of draftees we sign because of an expensive international guy. Since BAL isn't the ideal place for FA's to sign, this is the arena that we need to be aggressive in, and we should give our best efforts to sign as many talented youngsters as possible. It'll be interesting to follow the international signing period and the draft signing deadline, because we've got a great chance at improving our club in the future...and as the agent in the article said, it all comes down to money.

They should be, but it's impossible to say how they split up their budget or if they had any restrictions put in place by the big Greek guy upstairs this year. I do know that even with the higher talent they got in lower rounds, they still shouldn't be spending THAT much on their draft, which may allow for them to spend more here. We'll just have to see.

Are there any other good prospects who can sign contracts this year? Because with Sano type money you could always grab a few good players down there.

Thoughts?

There are always legitimate prospects down there. I think Baseball Prospectus has articles naming Caribbean prospects from time to time. But they're just names. It's all on the scouts to identify who is worth the investment.

You could argue that four @$1million is a better strategy than one @ $4 million.

And whatever happened to the 2 Cuban ball players, 1 pitcher, 1 OFer I think who were supposed to defect. I hadnt heard anything about them in a few months...

Have to pass background checks before MLB lets them sign.

Archived