Who's your 2008 SS

bigbird

How about Matsui? He's having a decent year in Colorado.

"1 year/$1.5M (2007) - contract includes clause requiring club to sign Matsui to an extension by sometime in 2007, or release him (effectively granting him free agency after 3 years of ML service)"

Edit: I see he's been playing 2B exclusively in 2007.

In any case:

I Split         G   GS  PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Home          38  36 170 157  36  52  6  4  3  20  12   1  21   0   1   0   1   1  12  1  .331  .379  .478  .856  .368   124   128 Home           Away          44  39 182 166  30  42 11  2  0  10  12   0  35   0   4   0   4   0  16  1  .253  .303  .343  .647  .321    75    73 Away         

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In any case:
 I Split         G   GS  PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Home          38  36 170 157  36  52  6  4  3  20  12   1  21   0   1   0   1   1  12  1  .331  .379  .478  .856  .368   124   128 Home           Away          44  39 182 166  30  42 11  2  0  10  12   0  35   0   4   0   4   0  16  1  .253  .303  .343  .647  .321    75    73 Away         

So, we sign him and move the team to Denver...;)

Right.

A team used to be able to justify giving up real talent for Tejada on the grounds that he is an underpaid superstar the likes of which you could never get for the same $$$ on the FA market.

Now, Tejada is neither underpaid, nor a superstar. You can argue that his contract is still reasonable, and in line with what he'd get if he was a FA, but it is no longer a selling point.

I'm sorry, but this is complete baloney. Have you paid any attention to contract inflation the past few seasons? The 2/26 left on Tejada's contract is still an incredible bargain. Tejada's been better than Andruw Jones over the three years before this year, and has declined less this year. Andruw is going to get a much, much bigger contract than 2/26, and so would Tejada.

I'm sorry, but this is complete baloney. Have you paid any attention to contract inflation the past few seasons? The 2/26 left on Tejada's contract is still an incredible bargain. Tejada's been better than Andruw Jones over the three years before this year, and has declined less this year. Andruw is going to get a much, much bigger contract than 2/26, and so would Tejada.

Tejada will be owed 30M after this year.

Two words. Bobby Abreu.

Traded for squat with 1.5 years + 1 option year remaining. Nobody but the Yankees wanted and could afford a $20M+ commitment for a declining, thirtysomething former star.

First, the 30 million: I think the extra 4 million your talking about is the deferred signing bonus: wouldn't the Orioles still be picking that up? I don't see why that would be transferred to another team, since it's a deferred payment and not salary.

Two words. Bobby Abreu.

Traded for squat with 1.5 years + 1 option year remaining. Nobody but the Yankees wanted and could afford a $20M+ commitment for a declining, thirtysomething former star.

Abreu had a no-trade clause that he waived to be traded to the Yankees. He wanted additional financial compensation to waive it for other teams. It's not really a comparable situation.

How much do you think Tejada would get if he was a FA after this season, and how much do you think Andruw will get?

Two words. Bobby Abreu.

Abreu is a corner OF, who's a little older and was traded with another salary dump (Lidle).

Not saying Miggi has great value, but I don't know if that's a good comp.

Horrible idea. He isn't good.

Alright, SG. You're getting me on this Lillibridge wagon. He looks really good. Hopefully, our scouts are checking this kid out. I mean... he's really close to the area, being in Richmond.

And...

I DID read today that the Braves were thinking about trading Renteria. Miguel would probably work better in the NL on a team like Atlanta, even though they are looking at grooming Escobar into the starting role.

Alright, SG. You're getting me on this Lillibridge wagon. He looks really good. Hopefully, our scouts are checking this kid out. I mean... he's really close to the area, being in Richmond.

We HAVE to have seen him. He's been in the Carolina and International leagues for most of his professional career. Our minor leaguers and coaches have played against him.

Back to SS prospects, here's how BP's Kevin Goldstein ranks them as of 8/10:

1. Brignac(TB)

2. Hu(LAD)

3. Triunfel(SEA)

4. Lillibridge(ATL)

5. Lowrie(BOS)

6. Gomez(COL)

7. Nelson(COL)

8. Donald(PHI)

9. Andrus(TEX)

10. Bixler(PIT)

11. Gonzalez(WAS)

12. Plouffe(MIN)

1. Brignac(TB)

2. Hu(LAD)

3. Triunfel(SEA)

4. Lillibridge(ATL)

5. Lowrie(BOS)

6. Gomez(COL)

7. Nelson(COL)

8. Donald(PHI)

9. Andrus(TEX)

10. Bixler(PIT)

11. Gonzalez(WAS)

12. Plouffe(MIN)

Jeez, Colorado has 2 more.

1. Brignac(TB)

2. Hu(LAD)

3. Triunfel(SEA)

4. Lillibridge(ATL)

5. Lowrie(BOS)

6. Gomez(COL)

7. Nelson(COL)

8. Donald(PHI)

9. Andrus(TEX)

10. Bixler(PIT)

11. Gonzalez(WAS)

12. Plouffe(MIN)

So, Hu's second?

Tomohiro Nioka (Japan) - Nioka, who is wrapping up his ninth year with the Yomiuri Giants, could be the best shortstop available as a free agent this winter. The 31-year-old hit .289/.329/.472 with 25 homers last year and is batting .294/.340/.456 with 17 homers in 412 at-bats this season. Nioka's power probably wouldn't translate very well over to the majors and he's not a basestealer, but he would offer very good defense.

Tomohiro Nioka (Japan) - Nioka, who is wrapping up his ninth year with the Yomiuri Giants, could be the best shortstop available as a free agent this winter. The 31-year-old hit .289/.329/.472 with 25 homers last year and is batting .294/.340/.456 with 17 homers in 412 at-bats this season. Nioka's power probably wouldn't translate very well over to the majors and he's not a basestealer, but he would offer very good defense.

***You have entered the B&O Warehouse chat***

Flanacan't: Hey...hey! Jim! Look at what happens when you spin this globe thingy! There's a whole other side!

Dook: Would you please stop? I'm about to get my high score on Dig Dug.

Flanacan't: No, seriously! Look, you have to see this!

Dook: Ugh, Flanny... *pauses Dig Dug* Okay, show me.

Flanacan't: Right there! Right there! It's called Russia! And there's this big thing called...China! Like the plates!

Dook: Interesting. Think Andy knows about this?

Flanacan't: Dunno.

Dook: I wonder if they've heard of baseball in these places.

Flanacan't: Australia. And what's this place? It's called Japan. I think we were involved in a skirmish there like, a hundred years ago or something. I remember hearing something about that. Some sort of bomb went off.

Dook: Should we call Andy?

Flanacan't: LOL ANDDDDYYYYY

Dook: LAWLZ MACPHAAAAAIL

Flanacan't: OMFGZ dude you have to call, for serious!

Dook: K. *Dials Andy MacPhail*

MacDaddy: *picks up phone* This is Andy.

Dook: OMFG, Andy, Andy...It's Jim and Flanny. Got a min?

MacDaddy: Sure. I'm just plotting the firing of two employees that have done little to nothing to stick around in the organization.

Dook: Sucks to be them. Well, anyway, Flanny and I were playing with this globe and it turns out there's like...a whole nother side to it.

MacDaddy: What?

Flanacan't: *grabs phone* Yeah, there's like...Asia. And Russia. Do you know about this? I found it myself.

MacDaddy: Oh...my...God. You guys really called about this?

Flanacan't: Yeah...why?

MacDaddy: I...just... Nevermind. What about these places?

Flanacan't: We were thinking like, maybe...they have baseball there, or something. Or people that might be good at baseball if we teach them.

MacDaddy: Uh...have you heard of Daisuke Matsuzaka?

Flanacan't: Yeah, what about him?

MacDaddy: He's from Japan. You know, one of those countries you just discovered.

Flanacan't: That short guy that throws the sandwich ball? For the Red Sox?

MacDaddy: Yeah.

Flanacan't: No way. Really?

MacDaddy: Yes. So to answer your question, there are baseball players there. Now is there anything else?

Flanacan't: Um...the vending machines need some grape soda and Hoho's.

MacDaddy: *click*

Flanacan't: Hello?

Archived