Steve Trachsel Traded

RichieRich

He's not a perfect player, but I don't think you should be disturbed about a top 10 prospect you got as a thrown in for a salary dump.

Sorry but a red flag goes up for me when a club is willing to trade a top 10 prospect at the waiver trading deadline for a likely rental of Steve Trachsel.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit I wouldn't have shed a tear had I seen we just up and released Trachsel, but to get a guy like Moore and Cherry back in return is like hitting the jackpot.

For the time being atleast............ I am man crushin' on Andy MacPhail.

Now we can see if he has any other miracles up his sleeves for the offseason.

Sorry if this has been posted, but did anyone notice this article on http://www.SI.com?

"I've been talking to Andy for seven to 10 days about it' date='" Hendry said. "He had a lot of action on him. He was one of the real significant guys that cleared waivers. He was a hot ticket the last few days. We're lucky to get him."[/quote']

Looks like there might have been a bidding war for Trax - What a nice change of events.

Sorry but a red flag goes up for me when a club is willing to trade a top 10 prospect at the waiver trading deadline for a likely rental of Steve Trachsel.

It's not a rental. He had a (vesting?) option for next year that we somehow got the Cubs to pay for.

If I were them, I'd rather it be a month-long rental.

My only point is that this trade should have been purely a salary dump. I would have cleared space for a young pitcher and dumped Trax's salary for scraps. Additionally, we ended up with a guy (maybe two) who have a shot at contributing at the major league level. I'm not worrying about any red flags. If he never cuts it in the bigs, big deal. If he does, that's a steal (that was an unfortunate rhyme).

It's not a rental. He had a (vesting?) option for next year that we somehow got the Cubs to pay for.

If I were them, I'd rather it be a month-long rental.

There's a $4.75m club option with a $0.1m buyout... at least that's what Cot's Baseball Contracts has.

So, the trade saves the ballclub about $617k for the remainder of the year (includes the 100k buyout). So, yeah it is a rental unless the Cubs really want Trachsel at $4.75m for 2008.

There's a $4.75m club option with a $0.1m buyout... at least that's what Cot's Baseball Contracts has.

So, the trade saves the ballclub about $617m for the remainder of the year (includes the 100k buyout). So, yeah it is a rental unless the Cubs really want Trachsel at $4.75m for 2008.

Maybe it was just a rumor that the Cubs picked up his option, cause I can't find it anywhere. My bad.

Archived