Steve Trachsel Traded

RichieRich

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a great trade, IMO.

Who even cares if we get MiL back?! We got rid of the salary for this year AND next year and we open up spots for Liz, Olson, etc...

This is a clear move towards rebuilding, we need more like it!

Getting Moore for Trax ?

I am ecstatic over that.

I have to eat some crow.

I was DEAD wrong.

I didn't think we could get a rosen bag for him, let alone a warm body ?

Way to go McPhail !

The nice thing about that is we have someone now in the front office that knows how to play other gms off each other to get us more value.

Exactly. That is why this trade is good in several different ways - it demonstrates an improving front office, and it makes the team better in the future.

This is much better than I'd hoped. The outcomes I saw were not trading him at all or just for a guy like Cherry. Moore looks like he might have real value.

If used properly...No reason he can't be a back up third baseman/first baseman/corner OF type guy.

And heck, if you are lucky enough to trade Mora this offseason, maybe he is your third baseman next year.

Here are some things BA says about him in their prospect handbook:

- Power grades at a 55(scale of 20-80)

- Hits to all fields

- Lead Fla St league in errors in 2004 and 2005 but defense improved in 2006....Was rated best defensive third baseman by managers in AA Southern League

- Average speed...Good baserunner

- Needs to cut down on swing and K's to become good average hitter

- Chases breaking pitches....Used to be more pull crazy than he is now

- Errors come on throws but accuracy and footwork have improved

- Played first, LF and even SS in AFL last year

-Ceiling of left handed David Bell

Exactly. That is why this trade is good in several different ways - it demonstrates an improving front office, and it makes the team better in the future.

Yes it shows an upgrade in the front office negotiating, but its not exactly hard to deal with a team that has a need for a wily vet with post season experience. ;)

Agreed - great job by the FO in getting good value for a player. Losing the salary, and opening up a rotation slot for the younger players would be reasons enough to move Trachsel. Getting these two players (who might even have some ML potential) is a bonus.

Also - just bringing it back up, as it seems to be getting lost in the FO love in recent replies - Trax really did a fine job of pitching in August to redeem his trade value. Honestly, more often than not this year, he kept us in the game and that's all I really wanted to see from him. Kudos for a pretty decent O's tenure. Good luck to him in Chicago!

Cherry's ERA with the Cubs was 3.00? Too bad he's joining the abyss that is the Orioles bullpen, mark him down for a 7.80 ERA in September.

Seriously though, solid trade. I expected to get two total throwaways or PTBNLs, but Moore has upside and plays a position where we sorely lack any prospects that can step in right away and replace an aging, declining player (hint hint Mora)

I will be really happy if this allows the Orioles to get Mora to waive his NTC and trade him this offseason. That would allow us to get rid of another contract of an aging player with diminishing skills.

That would be an even more significant domino effect IMO.

-Ceiling of left handed David Bell

That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, since David Bell was an ordinary player. If that's his ceiling, who needs him. But the fact that he's left-handed and crushed right-handed hitting (near 1 OPS this season) makes me think - platoon player. Just play him against righties. If Mora goes, play Huff at 3B against lefties and DH against righties.

Very pleased with the trade. Kudos to the FO for several things:

- signing Trax in the first place (it was booed here mercilessly)

- not dumping Trax for nothing at the trade deadline (it was not a popular keep)

- pulling off a trade which might yield an average major league reliever and an average starting 3B/LF.

I could not be more pleased with the entire Steve Traschel experience - he pitched well enough and is likely to have yielded a small, cheap part to next year's team. This is one small way to build teams - sign and trade the vets. It's good to see our FO participate successfully in that process.

P.S. What is our FO's obsession with the 2002 draft? Loewen, Guts, Moore - I think I'm forgetting one other guy. Blasko - from the Cubs also?

That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, since David Bell was an ordinary player. If that's his ceiling, who needs him.

Yeah, I saw that and winced, but it seems to be out of line with everything else they said about him. It seems he's likely to reach left-handed David Bell status, perhaps more.

Archived