Matusz might be coming soon.

Gurgi

That is really good company to be named with. The thing that I've read about Matusz' performance this year is that it is his FB that gets hit the most, yet he's pitched backwards and had great success with it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has thrown 112 innings at 2 levels and he threw 143 innings in college, tourney, and US national team last year. My guess is he has about 50innings left in the tank. I look for a 6 man staff in September, so it would be reasonable to keep him under that plus 35 level. All that said I would pitch Pauley, to play it safe.

I posted this before and noone has corrected me so I am going to keep post it until someone shows me its wrong:

Matusz's innings:

2007 - 123 IP (USD) + 20 IP Team USA = 143 IP

2008 - 105 IP (USD)

2009 - 112 IP A+/AA

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Brian_Matusz

Did you just copy what I wrote and write it as yours?

To be honest..no, I just started with Bedard and Baseball Cube in a google search and went from there after reading Ole hippie's post...then saw your response after the fact. Also searched Moose and came up negative

I agree they can always deal with it. But you have to look at the motives behind bringing him up now, which means the motives behind making it tougher to deal with those service time issues.

If they think they can get him ready to be a solid #2 next year and perhaps we make a nice run and AM makes corrosponding offseason moves, then that can make some sense.

If they think he's ready and is the best option now, and that's it, then I mean I'm not really sure why he wasn't up the past 2 months, or even on OD for that matter.

Do they think they can compete next season? We need 6 years of Matusz contributing to competitive teams. If they want to swap 2016 with 2010 as car as contending, then cool. But if they are still waiting until 2011, then I'm not sure it's smart to use over 25% of his years when they aren't doing anything, just because fans are excited and he's on a roll right now.

That's a big question. I will say that getting Tillman and Matusz established is a priority, and the longer that is delayed, the less likely it is that they can compete next year (in the neighborhood of 85-90 wins, that is).

However I disagree with the notion that if he is ready now, he was ready at the beginning of the season. They did want him to work on his approach and start pitching off his FB more, and he has done that.

Guest Sailor Jerry

Odds are, assuming he's only up for the duration Bergesen is out, and not beyond, that Matusz gets, at the most, 12 big league innings in two combined starts. Then he goes down to AAA to make a few starts and come Labor Day he gets to go home, relax, and reflect on a hell of a season.

Again, with the way he's pitching right now, one or two starts won't hurt him. If you're telling me he's going to stay in Baltimore the rest of the year then I might get leery. But otherwise, right now, I'm cool with him filling in and getting a taste.

Not sure about your rationale here Scott. I don't think it would be premature based on the conversation that has been going on for a while and it should be about the prospect as well.

I think Berken has always been viewed as a BP arm that could possibly start. He has shown that he can make spot starts at this point and may be able to do more than that, but it is looking more on the unlikely side.

Bergy is going to be a ML starter, IMO.

There are plenty of starts for our "Fringe players" even with Matusz up here.

If they think bringing up Matusz is good for the long term plan for Matusz, then they should bring him up.

That's why I'm so torn, and like I said, In Andy We Trust.

I just think Berken and others need the opportunity to show what they have. Matusz is almost a given. If Bergy is only DLed for 15 days then we have a real roster crunch. I don't want to see 1)Matusz brought up and just make one or two starts then demoted, or 2) Berken or others demoted or sent to the pen in favor of Matusz, and then forgotten.

Matusz is obviously the real deal. Our ace in the hole. Let's use BB's injury to see what else we have.

That's why I'm so torn, and like I said, In Andy We Trust.

I just think Berken and others need the opportunity to show what they have. Matusz is almost a given. If Bergy is only DLed for 15 days then we have a real roster crunch. I don't want to see 1)Matusz brought up and just make one or two starts then demoted, or 2) Berken or others demoted or sent to the pen in favor of Matusz, and then forgotten.

Matusz is obviously the real deal. Our ace in the hole. Let's use BB's injury to see what else we have.

I see what you are saying. But I don't think that right now in the Minors we have anyone else that is actually ready and we view as an integral part of our future. This is why I feel Matusz is the best choice given the direction we are headed and what can be benefited. If Matusz wasn't ready, then we should spot start someone that doesn't really have a future in the rotation but could eat innings until BB is healthy and could come back.

Go ahead and do it. You can post your findings right here.

Johan Santana Did not pitch in AA or AAA

Jake Peavy did not pitch in AAA

Rick Porcello did not pitch in AAA

Justin Verlander did not pitch in AAA

Josh Beckett did not pitch on AAA

Scott Kazmir did not pitch in AAA

CC Sabathia did not pitch in AAA

Clayton Kershaw did not pitch in AAA

AJ Burnett 8.1 IP in AAA

Cole Hamels 23 IP in AAA

Brandon Webb 25 IP in AAA

Roy Oswalt 34 IP in AAA

Dan Haren 45 IP in AAA

Santana, Sabathia, Burnett, Peavy, Verlander, Beckett, Kazmir, Porcello, Hamels, Webb, Haren, Oswalt, and Kershaw COMBINED pitched 135 IP at AAA. That is an average of 10.2 IP per pitcher which turns out to be about 2 starts. Do you really think 2 starts at AAA is that different then 2 starts at AAA?

Johan Santana Did not pitch in AA or AAA

Jake Peavy did not pitch in AAA

Rick Porcello did not pitch in AAA

Justin Verlander did not pitch in AAA

Josh Beckett did not pitch on AAA

Scott Kazmir did not pitch in AAA

CC Sabathia did not pitch in AAA

Clayton Kershaw did not pitch in AAA

AJ Burnett 8.1 IP in AAA

Cole Hamels 23 IP in AAA

Brandon Webb 25 IP in AAA

Roy Oswalt 34 IP in AAA

Dan Haren 45 IP in AAA

Santana, Sabathia, Burnett, Peavy, Verlander, Beckett, Kazmir, Porcello, Hamels, Webb, Haren, Oswalt, and Kershaw COMBINED pitched 135 IP at AAA. That is an average of 10.2 IP per pitcher which turns out to be about 2 starts. Do you really think 2 starts at AAA is that different then 2 starts at AAA?

I guess that would depend on whether they are two good starts after doing well at AA or two bad starts like Patton had after doing well at AA.

Oh, by the way, nice list.

Archived