Givens to be decided within the next 48 hours

Well worded.

My only contention is in the bolded part. That really is not the argument. The argument is when do you go after these type of players. I would say that if you are not willing to meet the demands, then sit back and select this type at a lower point in the draft. Easily had talent is available at the pick, so my perspective is you pay up or you target someone you actually know you will sign.

The more it sounds to me from Jordan's perspective and Givens' demands, we should have treated him more like a Stassi and reserved selection to later rounds.

Yup, I agree, in general. Often though, and it sounds to me like JJ was thinking this, kids like Givens and the like are swayed to lower their demands some to get their careers started. I'm sure they thought they could pare down Givens' demands to a more reasonable figure, and I'm sure that JJ was prepared to go over slot, but probably not 500k over. I'm thinking JJ thought it was just posturing, turned out he was wrong.

Negotiating in this industry is not where the player sets a price and sticks to that price throughout the summer. It's a give and take thing. This concept is apparently lost on Kenny Felder.

Look, like I said, and I can't name names that are not known here, but the kid has some people in his ear who are not concerned for his best interests. Hangers-on in the lives of any young athlete are sad human beings, and all they do is drag the kid down. That is all I'm going to say.

Good luck at OSU (if you do in fact go there) Mychal....you got some bad advice and you lost out kid.

On a side note, Craw, your takes on this are right on. You and Mackus put this into great perspective in this thread. Thanks!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way anyone leaks out the actual amount offered before the deadline, just guesswork on their part. That being said it's probably in that ballpark, but Givens was looking for upwards of $1.25 mil last I heard.

Curious. You first state that noone would leak the actual amount, then you quote a figure that you have heard. Where did you get your figure? And how is your figure less or more credible then his?

Curious. You first state that noone would leak the actual amount, then you quote a figure that you have heard. Where did you get your figure? And how is your figure less or more credible then his?

It's not credible, I also said that it was rumors and unconfirmed in the other thread where I mentioned it. That's just what I heard through some scout gossip. I don't think the FO would let the real number come out, JJ is a classy guy, and they'd keep that stuff under wraps.

Archived