Givens to be decided within the next 48 hours

"It was never my intention to meet that number (that Givens advisor mentioned on draft day). But I think some things will come out in the next few days that will ease our pain over this."

Just trying to play devils advocate here. If Givens did change his mind the day of the draft before being selected about his demands and JJ drafted him, that is JJ's fault which he admits in the article.

First I don't believe anyone really loved the pick here. So did JJ love him that much to pick him even though he did change his number before hand? I feel you would really have to love him to select him still. I understand you can't have a players fickle demands drive you from not picking him because it could be all postering to go to a specific team. But just to pick him still and be relative firm on your offer (assuming this) sounds just not good business.

Again, I would love to know if he changed his mind before or after he was drafted. That changes everything, but seems like from Tony's postings it was after, but from reading JJ's quotes it seems before (don't know how before). Kid's are kid's and they should be able to change their minds if this is their future especially if it was before. Is it "ok" to say one thing 2 weeks before and change it the day of. I am not saying this is a good practice, but lot different than changing after being drafted.

Do like the fact we would try to reallocate the money to other high talent.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is encouraging.

Jordan said by not signing Givens he has budget remaining to sign two players that he feels "are second round talents." He would not disclose which players they are.

"We will now probably sign a couple guys I really like. The Orioles will be covered, we have some insurance if you will, with some picks later in the draft."

I wonder who Jordan is referring to?

One of these kids he is referring to is Coffey. The other is IMO Garret Bush or possibly Ohlman, Nadolski, or Hoppy. I am confident though that one of the 2 2nd round talents is Coffey who sounds like he is gonna be pretty special. As I mentioned above, Id take Coffey over Givens anyway, but being able to add another similarly talented kid makes Plan B that much better than plan A....

One of these kids he is referring to is Coffey. The other is IMO Garret Bush or possibly Ohlman, Nadolski, or Hoppy. I am confident though that one of the 2 2nd round talents is Coffey who sounds like he is gonna be pretty special. As I mentioned above, Id take Coffey over Givens anyway, but being able to add another similarly talented kid makes Plan B that much better than plan A....

Coffey seems to have some potential, but Givens is easily the better talent.

There's a reason he was drafted 20 rounds ahead.;)

I hate to say it, but Jordan blew this one big time. I realize we'll get an additional 2nd round pick next year, but we've now wasted a year and our 2nd round pick. Our system is barren of positional player talent and we can't "afford" mistakes like this one. To say we'll now sign two of our later round picks is a cop out. I'm really disappointed with the way this was handled. We now know Givens made it be known what he wanted on draft day. We should have avoided him and went on to the next kid on the draft board.

There's no way of knowing that one of the two hopeful signings is Coffey, unless you have some sort of inside info. One article stated that we had hoped to sign a couple of Ohlman, Bush, and Coffey, and Roch's latest said that Jordan did not specify which draftee's they planned on signing.

And QB, just wondering, but what makes you sound so sure that Cameron Coffey is the second coming? I know you're enthusiastic about him, and so am I, but I'd temper my excitement about him at this point. He's coming off of a significant arm injury, and unless he corrects his delivery he's going to be placing a lot of unnecessary stress on an already damaged elbow. I hope like hell that Coffey signs because assuming he regains his health, he could be very good, but as it stands now, we have no idea how he's going to react.

I hate to say it, but Jordan blew this one big time. I realize we'll get an additional 2nd round pick next year, but we've now wasted a year and our 2nd round pick. Our system is barren of positional player talent and we can't "afford" mistakes like this one. To say we'll now sign two of our later round picks is a cop out. I'm really disappointed with the way this was handled. We now know Givens made it be known what he wanted on draft day. We should have avoided him and went on to the next kid on the draft board.

Yeah I have a tough time going against JJ, but it just doesn't look good on this pick.

Reasons:

- Did he really want someone that just went right before our pick (Poythress) and expected him there. He was so shocked he wasn't prepared and took Givens? I have a hard time believing that is the case. A professional organization and a veteran such as JJ wouldn't put themselves in that position .

- Did he like Givens so much more than anyone else so he had to take him? Again tough time believing he was the best guy on this board. Tougher time believing he was the best guy on his board by far over the others. Maybe top SS on the board for skill set and signability equation. But again, the signability part should have thrown the answer as a no unless Givens skill set was so large.

- He liked him and thought he could sign Givens even with his "sudden" change in bonus demands. Guess the article pretty much states that, but if that is the case, not to happy with the though process. If Givens is the best available by far, sure take him, maybe you can work it out. But if he is one of 6 players you are looking at in that spot, you take the next one on the list. It isn't not like this is the 10th round pick. You should have a rough estimate of 6 players you think will be there and what their "price" is.

This just sucks losing such a high pick and a SS position player at that. Sure we can sign one of our late round picks that project high but it still hurts and none of those other picks are infield prospects.

Again, if this is the worst thing that JJ does, I can live. Just my 1 cent whine.

Plus the potential picks if we lose Huff.

We won't get picks for Huff, IMO.

The only way we'll chase him off is by not offering him arbitration. Besides, even if he offered him arbitration and he declined, who's going to sign Aubrey Huff period, much less if they have to give up a pick or two?

Noooooooooooooooobody!!!!

Archived