2010 Draft Position Race

Shoot, we are only 1 game away from being the 2nd worse in the majors. Thatd nearly ensure us someone pretty special....

Similarly to what I said before, Pittsburgh had a worse record than we did in 2008 so we would have to have a worse record outright this season to have the higher pick.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who are the top three hitters right now going into 2010 for the draft? I know we always say we are taking the best player with the pick but I think we need more hitters with power in our system right now.

From purely a hitting standpoint, I guess I'd go with Harper, Cox, Brentz, though I think Castellano, Machado, Cabrera look good, and Austin Wilson could be scary good once he's in a system and developing.

You confuse my brain every time you post this list. It needs to be flipped upside down. We're in 3rd place, after Wash & Pitt.

Seriously, can Pitt win a game? They have been playing SD and can't win. They are like 4 wins in the past 22 games.

Washington 51 98 .342

Pittsburgh 56 91 .381

Baltimore 60 89 .403

Cleveland 61 88 .409

Kansas City 61 88 .409

Even if we lose every single one of our remaining games, Pittsburgh would still have to go 5-8 for us to move "up." But third place is in our reach. Unfortunately, Cleveland has a harder schedule than us, with four against the Red Sox, and three against Detroit and Chicago. And the Royals have the Yankees for three, the Red Sox for four, and Minnesota for six. OTOH, the Red Sox and Yankees will likely be resting many of their starters.

It's highly unlikely that we get worse than the 5th pick. Yay?

Washington 51 98 .342

Pittsburgh 56 92 .378

Baltimore 60 90 .400

Cleveland 61 88 .409

Kansas City 62 88 .413

So realistically we are battling for 3-5 with Pitts having a 4 game lead on us (They hold the tiebreaker too). We have a 2 game lead on both Cle and KC when you factor in the tiebreaker.

Again, huge series with KC this week.

So realistically we are battling for 3-5 with Pitts having a 4 game lead on us (They hold the tiebreaker too). We have a 2 game lead on both Cle and KC when you factor in the tiebreaker.

Again, huge series with KC this week.

Yes, very big series with KC. I think we remain in the 3rd slot though, and in the 3rd slot, we should be pretty happy with who is available to us....Between Taillon and Cole, one of them will be available to us if not both....

Yes, very big series with KC. I think we remain in the 3rd slot though, and in the 3rd slot, we should be pretty happy with who is available to us....Between Taillon and Cole, one of them will be available to us if not both....

Truthfully, I think we'll be happy regardless of where we pick in the Top 5. Next year's draft looks loaded.

Truthfully, I think we'll be happy regardless of where we pick in the Top 5. Next year's draft looks loaded.

To me, it looks very strong in HS arms, somewhat strong in HS OFs, very weak in college OF, with some interesting options but not great depth in the other position players. College arms look like a mixed bag, with some intriguing power arms, a couple good bet starters and maybe more relief arms in the first 3 rounds than we saw go in 2009.

Obviously, still early.

EDIT -- and I am unabashedly ambivalent as to whether BAL wins. I would not be disappointed to see them lose out. I know that's not being a "true fan", but these games are meaningless and I want as many options as possible when drafting. Not just for the first pick. If BAL had been two spots higher last year they may have landed Everett in the 2nd round, which would have been a great get. It's an earlier pick in each round for the whole draft. That has decent value.

EDIT -- and I am unabashedly ambivalent as to whether BAL wins. I would not be disappointed to see them lose out. I know that's not being a "true fan", but these games are meaningless and I want as many options as possible when drafting. Not just for the first pick. If BAL had been two spots higher last year they may have landed Everett in the 2nd round, which would have been a great get. It's an earlier pick in each round for the whole draft. That has decent value.

I completely agree here. Obviously, I'm not going to be happy watching the Orioles get pounded, but there is that silver lining. There is that little voice in the back of my head that sees a 6-foot-7 inch right handed Texan firing mid-90s fastballs in an Orioles uniform.

Archived