Open letter to Andy McPhail

section18

To: Andy MacPhail - You may have made a huge mistake. Be prepared for many season ticket holders to walk this winter. I just sold two tickets earlier tonight worth $48 a piece to buyers for $20. No! Not $20 each...a total of $20. $10 each. People outside the park told me most tickets were going for $5. Great investment. You probably won't read this thread on OH so I will be sending you a letter concerning my disappointment with your decision to extend Trembley. Yeah...Yeah...Yeah! DT is a nice guy....everybody loves him. I like him but don't love him. You are running a business. This is not a club or lodge. Most of my friends and people I meet that like him share a common bond. They don't go to the games. I ask them why and they say why should I spend money to go see an inferior product and a team lose more than it wins. When I ask if they owned the team...would they make changes? they don't even pause...I would get rid of all of their coaches....there are problems on that team. Really! Yet you like the manager. Yeah! He's got that stern look like a general.

We are 41 games out of first. A little applause is needed here. Not 20 out ...not 25 out...not 30 out...not 35 out.....no! 41 out and battling with the Pirates to see who will have the worst record to be second to the Nationals our neighbor as one of the worst two teams in all of baseball. AM you are setting a precedent for future managers of this team. We have fired managers for being less than 15 games out of first. The team is rewarding a manager for sub par performance from a number of players, coaches and his managing weaknesses.

I think our season tickets should be reduced substantially since our payroll continues to shrink. You had the oportunity to hire a quality manager to go to Spring Training with and start the 2010 season. If Trembley continues with his same managing style and we are 15 out in July and you fire him will you use a bench coach to finish the season? Sure you will to save money. The poor season ticket holders will have another losing season to swallow. Your tickets are free. Think about what we are enduring sitting in the stands year after year watching the losses pile up.

I have tried to sell tickets to games I could not attend three times in the past month in the scalp free zone down at OP. Usually there are three guys we've all seen working the sidewalks leading to the park and the lots trying to buy your tickets cheap for them to flip for a higher value. My tickets are $48 each X 2 - $96 face value. The best price I have gotten is $30 each. In September and tonight I was told by the ticket buyers that $10 is the best deal I'll get...things are really bad they say. The people stopped coming is what they tell you. Wow! That's front page news. Tonight people were coming into the scalp free zone and offering $5 per ticket wherever the seats were located. There were people selling tickets behind home plate 10 rows up and behind the Oriole dugout first 15 rows trying to get $20 for 2 tickets worth $48 each. Great investment. Even back in May and June you could buy field box seats for $20 each. Can anyone explain to me why I should buy a season plan worth over $3000 and pay retail when I can buy seats for less than half price?

I think you should invite all of the season ticket holders to the Baltimore Arena for a special Q & A before you send season ticket renewals out in the mail. Don't wait until next season starts. Let the season ticket holders have a town meeting like the politicians have. I think you are going to be shocked at the mass walkout of season ticket holders this winter. The time is now to explain yourself and ownership's position for the future of this team. If you have a town meeting for us paying stiffs you will have a sell out something you aren't getting at OP. I'm not sure what the current season ticket holder numbers are so maybe you can get by with the Lyric or Convention Center.

You are a nice guy and so am I but I have been burned year after year after year watching losing baseball. I want to hear from you directly at an open forum. Please tell me what DT did that was better than what Cooper in Houston and Wedge in Cleveland did. Both have lost their jobs with much better records. DT said on the Postgame show after tonights game that when you called him into your office today you told him he did a great job and then told him he was being brought back for next season. Please let us all know what was great about it. I really hope you will have a town hall meeting for season ticket holders and keep the media out. A private meeting for season ticket holders only. Many of us can change our minds about whether we renew or not by hearing your answers to our questions and the moves you make this winter.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To: Andy McPhail - You may have made a huge mistake. Be prepared for many season ticket holders to walk this winter. I just sold two tickets earlier tonight worth $48 a piece to buyers for $20. No! Not $20 each...a total of $20. $10 each. People outside the park told me most tickets were going for $5. Great investment. You probably won't read this thread on OH so I will be sending you a letter concerning my disappointment with your decision to extend Trembley. Yeah...Yeah...Yeah! DT is a nice guy....everybody loves him. I like him but don't love him. You are running a business. This is not a club or lodge. Most of my friends and people I meet that like him share a common bond. They don't go to the games. I ask them why and they say why should I spend money to go see an inferior product and a team lose more than it wins. When I ask if they owned the team...would they make changes? they don't even pause...I would get rid of all of their coaches....there are problems on that team. Really! Yet you like the manager. Yeah! He's got that stern look like a general.

We are 41 games out of first. A little applause is needed here. Not 20 out ...not 25 out...not 30 out...not 35 out.....no! 41 out and battling with the Pirates to see who will have the worst record to be second to the Nationals our neighbor as one of the worst two teams in all of baseball. AM you are setting a precedent for future managers of this team. We have fired managers for being less than 15 games out of first. The team is rewarding a manager for sub par performance from a number of players, coaches and his managing weaknesses.

I think our season tickets should be reduced substantially since our payroll continues to shrink. You had the oportunity to hire a quality manager to go to Spring Training with and start the 2010 season. If Trembley continues with his same managing style and we are 15 out in July and you fire him will you use a bench coach to finish the season? Sure you will to save money. The poor season ticket holders will have another losing season to swallow. Your tickets are free. Think about what we are enduring sitting in the stands year after year watching the losses pile up.

I have tried to sell tickets to games I could not attend three times in the past month in the scalp free zone down at OP. Usually there are three guys we've all seen working the sidewalks leading to the park and the lots trying to buy your tickets cheap for them to flip for a higher value. My tickets are $48 each X 2 - $96 face value. The best price I have gotten is $30 each. In September and tonight I was told by the ticket buyers that $10 is the best deal I'll get...things are really bad they say. The people stopped coming is what they tell you. Wow! That's front page news. Tonight people were coming into the scalp free zone and offering $5 per ticket wherever the seats were located. There were people selling tickets behind home plate 10 rows up and behind the Oriole dugout first 15 rows trying to get $20 for 2 tickets worth $48 each. Great investment. Even back in May and June you could buy field box seats for $20 each. Can anyone explain to me why I should buy a season plan worth over $3000 and pay retail when I can buy seats for less than half price?

I think you should invite all of the season ticket holders to the Baltimore Arena for a special Q & A before you send season ticket renewals out in the mail. Don't wait until next season starts. Let the season ticket holders have a town meeting like the politicians have. I think you are going to be shocked at the mass walkout of season ticket holders this winter. The time is now to explain yourself and ownership's position for the future of this team. If you have a town meeting for us paying stiffs you will have a sell out something you aren't getting at OP. I'm not sure what the current season ticket holder numbers are so maybe you can get by with the Lyric or Convention Center.

You are a nice guy and so am I but I have been burned year after year after year watching losing baseball. I want to hear from you directly at an open forum. Please tell me what DT did that was better than what Cooper in Houston and Wedge in Cleveland did. Both have lost their jobs with much better records. DT said on the Postgame show after tonights game that when you called him into your office today you told him he did a great job and then told him he was being brought back for next season. Please let us all know what was great about it. I really hope you will have a town hall meeting for season ticket holders and keep the media out. A private meeting for season ticket holders only. Many of us can change our minds about whether we renew or not by hearing your answers to our questions and the moves you make this winter.

A-freaking-men! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

It's a travesty the Orioles continue to put the product on the field they do and charge those prices.

If MacPhail doesn't make significant moves this offseason, I wouldn't blame any season ticket holder for not renewing.

Sadly the fact that the Orioles have shrunk from 3 million in attendance to less than 2 million with probably about 500,000 of those fans being vistors, doesn't seem to have radically altered anything as the Orioles still made a profit of 27 million last year and probably even more than that. And right now that seems to be all that matters at this point in time.

Hopefully we'll see that isn't the case this offseason, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Roberts, Weiters, Bergesen, Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Mickolio, Uehara, Johnson, Pie

I wonder how many times Trembley will go into a game with these guys + a couple of upgrades acquired in the offseason. I wonder how that compares to what we had to work with this season.

If you (in the general sense) are dropping your season tickets over this move, it ISN'T because of this move. It is because you don't like how Andy MacPhail is running the team, whether you want to admit it or not.

You don't trust him, and with the build-up of talent and turn-around of the WHOLE organization you better have a damned better reason than a few losses in a year of essentially planned losing and his own trust in the manager to feel that way.

To: Andy McPhail - You may have made a huge mistake. Be prepared for many season ticket holders to walk this winter. I just sold two tickets earlier tonight worth $48 a piece to buyers for $20. No! Not $20 each...a total of $20. $10 each. People outside the park told me most tickets were going for $5. Great investment. You probably won't read this thread on OH so I will be sending you a letter concerning my disappointment with your decision to extend Trembley. Yeah...Yeah...Yeah! DT is a nice guy....everybody loves him. I like him but don't love him. You are running a business. This is not a club or lodge. Most of my friends and people I meet that like him share a common bond. They don't go to the games. I ask them why and they say why should I spend money to go see an inferior product and a team lose more than it wins. When I ask if they owned the team...would they make changes? they don't even pause...I would get rid of all of their coaches....there are problems on that team. Really! Yet you like the manager. Yeah! He's got that stern look like a general.

Are the guys you are talking to outside the ballpark named Regan, Miller, Perlozzo, Hargrove or Mazilli??

If you (in the general sense) are dropping your season tickets over this move, it ISN'T because of this move. It is because you don't like how Andy MacPhail is running the team, whether you want to admit it or not.

You don't trust him, and with the build-up of talent and turn-around of the WHOLE organization you better have a damned better reason than a few losses in a year of essentially planned losing and his own trust in the manager to feel that way.

yawn.gif

Agreed nothing to see here.

Generally I see these kinds of threads and just move on and let people vent, or do whatever it is that they have to do. I don't know if it was the letter itself or JT jumping on it after (and let me just start by saying when he gets all excited for something you wrote you should be questioning it already)...

Anyways, DT should be given more time compared to say Wedge or Cooper because both of them had more talented teams and were expected to compete, we were not. You can't hold people to the same expectation by giving them differing supplies to produce with. If you want someone to make the best pancakes ever, and you give one guy Bisquick, one guy Krusteez, and a third guy two twizzlers and some m&m's you can't expect all of them to produce the same pancake.

I agree that paying a crapload of money for season tickets isn't fair to us since we are paying them and watching what we know is going to be a loser. Hence why I gave up my season tickets this season. It's not like you didn't know what you were buying when you paid for them though, you knew this team wasn't going to be very good, it's not like you expected a WS team and then they lost 100 games.

I know people get passionate and they just want their team to be good, but is it really worth all of this obsession? The pouting? The frustration? All it's doing is dragging your emotions down and lowering your quality of life if you let it get to you like this.

OK, so the summary is:

• You're PO'd because you can't resell your season tickets at a price you want, and scalpers agree with you that business is off.
  • The street price of resold tickets is down because the team is bad.
  • Your pals, who don't actually go to any games, agree with you that the team is bad because of the coaching staff.
  • Therefore, AM should have Town Hall meeting for season ticket holders, which you think will be packed because they all want to give him an earful about DT.

Makes sense to me.

While you're at the Town Hall meeting, I think you should demand to see Andy's birth certificate. After all, he *says* he's the son of the guy who built the Orioles into winners, but we haven't really seen any proof of that, have we?

I think Mcphail made the right move in bringing Trembley back.

He is the right man for our Orioles

Wedge in Cleveland and Cooper in Houston both failed at reaching the task at hand for the astros and indians and are not good comps for whether or not Trembley should have been retained or not.

The Orioles are rebuilding under A.M. and are right on schedule.

Trembley has done a Great job

As goofy as this post was, I sorta understand some parts of it.

Even though most of my tickets get donated, the Orioles are getting one more season of out my bank account. Like AM said, I'm going to start taking a harder look at the W/L record as well.

Hopefully next year is a lot brighter.

I have supported AM on the Bedard and Tejada trades and think he has done a good job with a few exceptions along the way. Signing Adam Eaton and hoping Hendrickson could be a starter when his limited success had been as a reliever proved to be unsuccessful. I think he could have gotten more for Huff even though he was a rental player. In general I think he is a bright baseball G.M. whose major weakness is the speed at which he operates. That's what makes this decision questionable at best. Why the rush? I hope we can sign Figgins and Lackey with as much speed as we used picking up DT'S option.....and obtain Adrian Gonzalez before the Red Sox.

Whether I renew is not based solely on my opinion of McPhail. The decision to pick up DT'S option was not made without a consensus opinion from the owner on down the line. If you think he made this decision on his own you are sadly mistaken.

You question whether I am making my decision to renew based on a few losses. Only 98 at last count with two to go. 62 wins! Just great. We went into the season planning to lose? Before the season started many on OH thought we might win 75-80 games and a few thought we might finish with a.500 record. If we win our last two we will end with 64 wins and 98 losses. No surprise there? No big deal....just twelve straight losing seasons....we all expected this?....did we or didn't we?

Can you tell me which major league team would consider hiring DT to be their manager to start the 2010 season other than the Orioles? I know the Astros and Indians wouldn't. Anybody?

I have nothing personal against DT as I have said before. Most on here it seems love him. I think he is an interesting guy to say the least but I think he is overmatched. How many times has a talk show host or caller or writer for the Sunpaper witten or said DT won the game for us because of his managing moves. Most say a manager doesn't win games for their team however many say a good manager is capable of winning at least 6-8 games a year because of their managing moves. I am still waiting after 2 1/2 seasons to see these moves. 11 sacrifices by the Orioles so far in 2009 was the number reported by someone last week. The lowest in baseball. When you have a team that has trouble scoring runs and a weak pitching staff you would think you would try to score runs any way you can.

Someone on OH said we needed a fresh start for the 2010 season with new coaches and players. We are like an off broadway show with a couple of very good actors and a lot of average to poor actors. We need some more good actors added to our show and new directors and a new makeup artist to make us look better. Someone to sharpen our skills on the field. Who is going to make us look and play better? Will this manager and coaches get different results?

Archived