Open letter to Andy McPhail

section18

A-freaking-men! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

If MacPhail doesn't make significant moves this offseason, I wouldn't blame any season ticket holder for not renewing.

Wait a second... you mean to tell me there are still some season ticket holders??:confused:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After all, he *says* he's the son of the guy who built the Orioles into winners, but we haven't really seen any proof of that, have we?
You're really stuck on his pedigree. Frankly, what his father did, in the era before free agency doesn't apply to the game today. Salute his record all you want, but there is no guarantee his son will ever live up to it, no matter how much of a storybook ending you hope it will be. If you still want to look for parallels, why not how his dad did rebuilding the Yankees in the late 60s? Any championships or periods of sustained success then ? Has Andy had any periods of sustained success in twenty years before this job?

Ha ha ha.

You mean the Os are the only team with tickets worth much less than face with three games left in the season?

This same thing did not happen to you last season (yet you renewed)? Or to season ticket holders of other franchises last season.

People think they live in a vacuum ....

Don't renew your tix. This team's going to be pretty good next year and even better the one after and we could use some fans who love the Orioles in those seats.

Oops, you meant to send this to Angelos a decade ago after he sent Pat Gillick, Davey Johnson, and John Miller out of town! Just kidding, good vent, it's not gonna get better overnight, but I've got more confidence now then at any other time over the past decade. :)

I have supported AM on the Bedard and Tejada trades and think he has done a good job with a few exceptions along the way. Signing Adam Eaton and hoping Hendrickson could be a starter when his limited success had been as a reliever proved to be unsuccessful. I think he could have gotten more for Huff even though he was a rental player. In general I think he is a bright baseball G.M. whose major weakness is the speed at which he operates. That's what makes this decision questionable at best. Why the rush? I hope we can sign Figgins and Lackey with as much speed as we used picking up DT'S option.....and obtain Adrian Gonzalez before the Red Sox.

Whether I renew is not based solely on my opinion of McPhail. The decision to pick up DT'S option was not made without a consensus opinion from the owner on down the line. If you think he made this decision on his own you are sadly mistaken.

You question whether I am making my decision to renew based on a few losses. Only 98 at last count with two to go. 62 wins! Just great. We went into the season planning to lose? Before the season started many on OH thought we might win 75-80 games and a few thought we might finish with a.500 record. If we win our last two we will end with 64 wins and 98 losses. No surprise there? No big deal....just twelve straight losing seasons....we all expected this?....did we or didn't we?

Can you tell me which major league team would consider hiring DT to be their manager to start the 2010 season other than the Orioles? I know the Astros and Indians wouldn't. Anybody?

I have nothing personal against DT as I have said before. Most on here it seems love him. I think he is an interesting guy to say the least but I think he is overmatched. How many times has a talk show host or caller or writer for the Sunpaper witten or said DT won the game for us because of his managing moves. Most say a manager doesn't win games for their team however many say a good manager is capable of winning at least 6-8 games a year because of their managing moves. I am still waiting after 2 1/2 seasons to see these moves. 11 sacrifices by the Orioles so far in 2009 was the number reported by someone last week. The lowest in baseball. When you have a team that has trouble scoring runs and a weak pitching staff you would think you would try to score runs any way you can.

Someone on OH said we needed a fresh start for the 2010 season with new coaches and players. We are like an off broadway show with a couple of very good actors and a lot of average to poor actors. We need some more good actors added to our show and new directors and a new makeup artist to make us look better. Someone to sharpen our skills on the field. Who is going to make us look and play better? Will this manager and coaches get different results?

Tell me, if you were the GM, would you have hired any of the following managers after the start they had in their managerial careers?

Joe Maddon: 154-221

Tony LaRussa: 151-169

Joe Torre: 245-358

Bobby Cox: 135-187

Terry Francona: 285-363

Jim Leyland: 144-180

Tell me, which GM would hire the following managers after the start they had in their managerial careers?

Joe Maddon: 154-221

Tony LaRussa: 151-169

Joe Torre: 245-358

Bobby Cox: 135-187

Terry Francona: 285-363

Jim Leyland: 144-180

Alan Trammell 186-300

Buddy Bell 184-277

Tony Pena 198-285

etc...

Trembley could turn out just like one of those managers, just as well as he could be in the first group...

Alan Trammell 186-300

Buddy Bell 184-277

Tony Pena 198-285

etc...

Trembley could turn out just like one of those managers, just as well as he could be in the first group...

So you are saying that you would not have hired Cox, LaRussa, etc., right?

You're really stuck on his pedigree. Frankly, what his father did, in the era before free agency doesn't apply to the game today.

Hello? You think my comment about demanding that AM provide a birth certificate was really about that?

Tell you what, never mind, just pretend you never saw it...

I would have hired Leyland or LaRussa out of that group because of their managing styles. I don't think I have to elaborate.

We need fans in the stands who love the Orioles? Are you kidding me? How many games do you come to? I'd like to know how many on OH go to more than 20 games a year and pay for their tickets? I have actually had seasons I went to more than 30. Love the Orioles?

The attendance tonight was depressing. It was sad looking around at all of the empty seats and then the rains came but the Orioles had their hitting shoes on tonight and celebrated their manager getting an extension. I hope they enjoyed their cake and ice cream. It's interesting that our two highest paid players were asked how they felt about DT coming back. Did anyone expect anything different from them? You will never hear Nick and BROB saying Andy really screwed up unless they end up playing for the Braves or Cubs.

Did anyone notice Andy kept looking down at the press conference with Trembley when he was discussing why he was extended another season? Speech analysts and body language experts know what this means. He didn't look comfortable. He usually always stares into the camera or looks straight at the reporter asking the question when he is speaking to them. There was another clip I saw of DT after the game saying he was going to have to be tougher and we had to win games. He went from the big smile to looking really upset in a matter of seconds. I wonder if anyone else was in the room with AM when DT was called up to his office at 3:30?

I would have hired Leyland or LaRussa out of that group because of their managing styles. I don't think I have to elaborate.

We need fans in the stands who love the Orioles? Are you kidding me? How many games do you come to? I'd like to know how many on OH go to more than 20 games a year and pay for their tickets? I have actually had seasons I went to more than 30. Love the Orioles?

The attendance tonight was depressing. It was sad looking around at all of the empty seats and then the rains came but the Orioles had their hitting shoes on tonight and celebrated their manager getting an extension. I hope they enjoyed their cake and ice cream. It's interesting that our two highest paid players were asked how they felt about DT coming back. Did anyone expect anything different from them? You will never hear Nick and BROB saying Andy really screwed up unless they end up playing for the Braves or Cubs.

Did anyone notice Andy kept looking down at the press conference with Trembley when he was discussing why he was extended another season? Speech analysts and body language experts know what this means. He didn't look comfortable. He usually always stares into the camera or looks straight at the reporter asking the question when he is speaking to them. There was another clip I saw of DT after the game saying he was going to have to be tougher and we had to win games. He went from the big smile to looking really upset in a matter of seconds. I wonder if anyone else was in the room with AM when DT was called up to his office at 3:30?

No, please do...

Yes, yes you do.

and while your at it, please also include a reason how you would convince your fan base to disregard their poor start as a manager and buy into the reason why you hired either. Also, give a approximate value of increase your tickets will have by hiring either. Thank you.

A-freaking-men! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

It's a travesty the Orioles continue to put the product on the field they do and charge those prices.

If MacPhail doesn't make significant moves this offseason, I wouldn't blame any season ticket holder for not renewing.

Sadly the fact that the Orioles have shrunk from 3 million in attendance to less than 2 million with probably about 500,000 of those fans being vistors, doesn't seem to have radically altered anything as the Orioles still made a profit of 27 million last year and probably even more than that. And right now that seems to be all that matters at this point in time.

Hopefully we'll see that isn't the case this offseason, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

YOU, of all people, would agree with this drivel! You both don't even have a clue!

This is a huge steaming pile of nonsense.

Just say you don't think Trembely is a good manager. That's your opinion and that's fine. The BS nonsense you are adding to it just makes you sound foolish. It'd be nice if you could add any tangible reason why you don't like him other than our record which has incredibly little to do with the manager, but I don't expect reason or sound logic from many of the posters on this board.

Archived