How about instant replay?

AZRon

You can't really do that even if you want to. Whenever the D takes one action, rather than another, based on the ump's call, you can't unwind that. Some things just cannot be undone.

Well maybe something can be done in terms of using it when runners aren't on base or something like that.

Umps blow way too many calls over and over again and IR helps this.

There is a way to do it. maybe you can't do it all but you can do more.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think that if the Yankees lose this game, instant replay will be in place by tomorrow night? :P

What could IR have done in this case? The ump ruled Howard safe, and he was never tagged. The IR would have shown that Howard missed the plate, but you can't call him out on review, since the reason that he didn't go back to touch the plate was that he was already called safe and he didn't see a need to.

What could IR have done in this case? The ump ruled Howard safe' date=' and he was never tagged. The IR would have shown that Howard missed the plate, but you can't call him out on review, since the reason that he didn't go back to touch the plate was that he was already called safe and he didn't see a need to.[/quote']

under the procedures I described in my opening post --

I believe that players (and umpires) would behave differently than they do currently

With the knowledge that the umpire's call could be reviewed:

the runner, if uncertain that he had touched a base, would, regardless of the initial call, attempt to touch the base safely

the fielder, if uncertain that he had touched the base or tagged the runner, would, regardless of the initial call, attempt to touch the base or tag the runner before the runner had reached the base safely

under the procedures I described in my opening post --

I believe that players (and umpires) would behave differently than they do currently

With the knowledge that the umpire's call could be reviewed:

the runner, if uncertain that he had touched a base, would, regardless of the initial call, attempt to touch the base safely

the fielder, if uncertain that he had touched the base or tagged the runner, would, regardless of the initial call, attempt to touch the base or tag the runner before the runner had reached the base safely

Nah, Mu'ayyidSaafir is right.

IMO, if they're uncertain, they're probably gonna do that anyway. But this is all just conjecture about what we think goes on inside of players' heads in the heat of the moment. That's about as iffy as anything can be.

If you wanna be pro-IR, that's up to you, but you gotta at least admit the things it can't do, and there's lots of umps calls it can't unwind.

IMO, if they're uncertain, they're probably gonna do that anyway. But this is all just conjecture about what we think goes on inside of players' heads in the heat of the moment. That's about as iffy as anything can be.

If you wanna be pro-IR, that's up to you, but you gotta at least admit the things it can't do, and there's lots of umps calls it can't unwind.

It's not that they CAN'T be unwound, it's that people don't feel that unwinding them is the right thing to do.

It's not that they CAN'T be unwound, it's that people don't feel that unwinding them is the right thing to do.

How is it possible to unwind plkays that evolve based on ump calls? You can't do it. It's impossible. The most you could do is erase the play for a do-over.

I watched the replay of Ryan Howard "scoring"

He may not have touched the plate

He was never tagged

Under my proposed "challenge" system, on what basis would Girardi challenge the umpire's call?

If no tag was made, there was no putout

I'm sorry -- I just don't understand what there is to "unwind" here

• 7 years later...

Upon Further Review:

I thought it would be instructive to replay this 8 year old discussion -- I think it was a good one and I miss some of the contributors

It occurred just after the introduction of "instant" replay review in the MLB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_replay_in_Major_League_Baseball

"Instant replay review was first implemented during the 2008 season. Under that system, only the umpire crew chief could initiate a review, and one or more members of the umpiring crew would review the video at the stadium and render the decision to uphold or overturn the call. Only boundary home run calls could be reviewed, either if the initial call was a home run but might not have been (e.g., spectator interference or a foul ball near the foul pole) or if the initial call was not a home run but might have been (e.g., the ball hit an object such as a railing beyond the outfield wall and then bounced back onto the field)."

I still favor replay/review of:
any play resulting in an out or would have resulted in an out
any play that would have resulted in a batter/runner reaching 1 base further than the umpire's unchallenged call allowed

And, I now favor automated determination on the calling of all balls and strikes

Archived