Orioles draft thread

Sports Guy

Doesn't sound very promising. I'd have to say I'm disappointed with this pick. 23? Geez! I didn't see this guy listed on the 200 prospects by BA, unless I missed it somewhere. Who said it was good value?

The MLB radio guys. They said he could easily have been a 2nd rounder. He's supposedly a terrific field general, and he's got good tools for a SS. He's 23, though, and that seems to be the big knock on him. He's gotta contribute immediately or he's going to be a wasted pick.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some scoop on Davis:

Davis had a better year in some ways as a draft-eligible sophomore (the Indians drafted him in the 46th round last year) and needs to get stronger, or his offense will be too short to be a regular. He's a wiry athlete and average runner with a solid line-drive swing and excellent hands that work in the field and at the plate. He had a 21-game hitting streak end in the season's final week. He was the leader on the field and at the top of the lineup for Fullerton.

Sounds a lot like Brandon Fahey to me.

Doesn't sound very promising. I'd have to say I'm disappointed with this pick. 23? Geez! I didn't see this guy listed on the 200 prospects by BA, unless I missed it somewhere. Who said it was good value?

His birthday is in December. He'll be 22 all of this season. Looks like a Brian Roberts type but he didn't look that fast in his video.

Seems more like a Brandon Fahey type to me. He was ranked 57th in California prospects eligible for the draft.

Here's some scoop on Davis:

Davis had a better year in some ways as a draft-eligible sophomore (the Indians drafted him in the 46th round last year) and needs to get stronger, or his offense will be too short to be a regular. He's a wiry athlete and average runner with a solid line-drive swing and excellent hands that work in the field and at the plate. He had a 21-game hitting streak end in the season's final week. He was the leader on the field and at the top of the lineup for Fullerton.

Sounds a lot like Brandon Fahey to me.

As i read this, i thought Fahey immediately as well.

I'm holding out for first round money. My uncle Scott says I should be able to get $3-4M and a major league contract.

In that case you may have to wait until next year. But don't fret, you'll probably go 1st overall.

Here's the skinny on Henson:

Tyler Henson is one of the most athletic shortstops in the Midwest, which could get him drafted between the sixth and 10th rounds despite questions about his bat. Six-foot-2 and 190 pounds, he quarterbacked Tuttle High to a 14-0 record and the Class 3-A football title, then led the baseball team to the Class 4-A championship, earning the win as a pitcher in the finale. His speed and arm strength are plus tools, and he has good actions at shortstop. He also offers pop, though scouts worry about his approach at the plate. Though he committed to Arkansas, he's expected to sign if he goes in the first 10 rounds. If not, he could attend Connors State as a draft-and-follow. The Royals have scouted Henson more heavily than any other club.

Sounds like a project.

Archived