Bedard to the bullpen?

rp0806

SG, stop making it personal. You've done a great job on this discussion, but you are spiraling downward quickly.

You make some valid points, and if Bedard stays in the rotation for the rest of the year I'm not going to be upset. But, i think in the long run we're going to find out that Bedard ends up having a much better career from the bullpen.

Good points on both sides though.

Not disagreeing with that as a possibility...Just disagree with the time frame in which that needs to be done and the fact that i would prefer to see him dealt before being sent to the pen.

I don't know why you're yelling just because I disagreed with you. I didn't say anything even remotely like "no one should have an opinion". You're putting words in my mouth that I never even *thought*, much less *said*. Read what I *actually* said, especially the bolded part: All I did was present some additional facts, and then said that my opinion is that we should trust Leo on this one.

We have a guy who has more talent than demonstrated performance, and his main shortcoming is that he can't make it thru 7. I don't see how the BP is gonna help that.

But, please excuse me for having an opinion different than yours.

Great, Tony. I have a different opinion, which I supported with evidence, just like you did for your opinion. So you dinged me for 15 points. For what?

• Upvote 1

SG, stop making it personal. You've done a great job on this discussion, but you are spiraling downward quickly.

You make some valid points, and if Bedard stays in the rotation for the rest of the year I'm not going to be upset. But, i think in the long run we're going to find out that Bedard ends up having a much better career from the bullpen.

Good points on both sides though.

There is one point that shouldn't get lost in this discussion -- the value of having a really good long man. The Oriole teams of 1979-85 had Sammy Stewart in that role, and Arthur Rhodes filled it admirably from 1996-99.

• Upvote 1

the value of having a really good long man.

Exactly...I don't want people to think I'm advocating "giving up" on Bedard or something. I just think that, given his talent, he could be incredibly valuable in that role.

Exactly...I don't want people to think I'm advocating "giving up" on Bedard or something. I just think that, given his talent, he could be incredibly valuable in that role.

But, there is nothing wrong with that viewpoint either, if that is what you think should be done.

I, for one, am in the minority here. I would have dealt him over the winter when his value was at its peak. I have never been a big fan of Bedard.

Just like with Loewen (who I have doubts about) I hope I am wrong IF the Orioles keep him instead of dealing him.

There is one point that shouldn't get lost in this discussion -- the value of having a really good long man. The Oriole teams of 1979-85 had Sammy Stewart in that role, and Arthur Rhodes filled it admirably from 1996-99.

And that is indeed a very good point. Until I read about it here in this thread, I never even considered Bedard for that role. That may be his role in the end.

Stewart is a good comparison. Rhodes is an even better one. Both were "supposed" to be stud starters. They had the stuff, not the stamina.

• Upvote 1

This has been a wonderful thread to read through. I think valid points have been made on both sides. It certainly has provided me with plenty of food for thought. And other such safe platitudes....

I agree, way too much bullying from both sides of this discussion for me to even think of giving an opinion on this subject. And that's sad way to feel...

• Upvote 1

But, there is nothing wrong with that viewpoint either, if that is what you think should be done.

True...I guess what I meant to say is that people shouldn't look at a move to the bullpen as necessarily a demotion for Bedard.

I was on the fence re trading him this offseason. I had high expectations for him this year, but would have been thrilled if they'd traded him for Dunn or the equivalent.

I agree, way too much bullying from both sides of this discussion for me to even think of giving an opinion on this subject. And that's sad way to feel...

Oh, come on and jump in. The water's fine...even though I'm bailing it at the moment down here in Florida. Thanks, Alberto!

Oh, come on and jump in. The water's fine...even though I'm bailing it at the moment down here in Florida. Thanks, Alberto!

Okay, fine. I think Bedard should be kept in the rotation...unless someone wants to move him to the bullpen. I think that's the best (and safest for me) way to go. ;)

Okay, fine. I think Bedard should be kept in the rotation...unless someone wants to move him to the bullpen. I think that's the best (and safest for me) way to go. ;)

I love you, man. Thanks for the laugh!

Okay, fine. I think Bedard should be kept in the rotation...unless someone wants to move him to the bullpen. I think that's the best (and safest for me) way to go.

I can't argue with that. (literally)

Exactly. I think disagreeing is fine. I even think being pushy is OK. It's the bullying that makes me sad.

• Downvote 1

Exactly. I think disagreeing is fine. I even think being pushy is OK. It's the bullying that makes me sad.

No one was bullied, stop crying. It's people like you who can't seem to stay on subject and start making it out to be personal instead of staying on subject. Trust me, you want to end the crying and end the sarcastic posts.

This was a great thread with two poor posts that derailed it from the good give and take it was supposed to be about. Instead, we've got these derailed portions with people openly crying for support because big, bad Tony bullied them.

Don't bother to reply to this thread unless it's about Bedard. This crying crap is over.