Bedard to the bullpen?

rp0806

Given Bedard's recent struggles and his inability to go deep into games, I wonder if the Orioles should consider moving him to the bullpen. I think everyone agrees that he has great stuff, but I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever become the starter we all hoped for (and, I'll admit, I was as high on him as anyone going into this season).

Moving him to the bullpen could light a fire under him and force him to push himself to improve. And he could be an outstanding setup guy/spot starter (the Aaron Heilmann role with the Mets or the Ramiro Mendoza role with the Yankees in the late 90s). If he doesn't have to worry about pitch counts, he could probably dominate for a couple innings at a time. I'm usually opposed to the idea of moving a starter to the bullpen (an average starter is usually worth far more than an excellent reliever), but it might make sense in this case.

Of course this raises the question of what to do about Bedard's spot in the rotation. I would give Birkins or even Johnson a few starts until Penn comes back, and then have a rotation of Cabrera, Benson, Loewen, Penn, and Lopez. If Lopez pitches reasonably well, trade him at the deadline for something and trade Tejada to the Angels in one of the much discussed trades for a package of players, including Santana or Jered Weaver. Santana or Weaver then takes Lopez's spot in the rotation.

Maybe. But in any event Bedard has definitly regressed.Then again, the prospect of he, Chen and Halama coming out of the bullpen mite spur the starters to go deep enough that Ray can bail them out. In which case, those three might start racking up "scares" if not wins or saves.

Maybe. But in any event Bedard has definitly regressed.Then again, the prospect of he, Chen and Halama coming out of the bullpen mite spur the starters to go deep enough that Ray can bail them out. In which case, those three might start racking up "scares" if not wins or saves.

Despite the number of pitches, he has pitched better the last 2 outings and the K's yesterday were a good sign.

I think he will be fine.

He should be dealt before being sent to the BP.

I'm not opposed to dealing him, but how much trade value does he have at the moment? If he spends a month dominating in the BP he might be a little more attractive.

He's arguably our worst starter now.

No he's not and even if he was, why does something HAVE to be done?

If he is our worse starter and we are getting QS out of him, then i would say we have a very good staff.

So, why again does something need to be done with him?

No he's not and even if he was, why does something HAVE to be done?

If he is our worse starter and we are getting QS out of him, then i would say we have a very good staff.

So, why again does something need to be done with him?

Because he's not pitching as well as he could be.

Something needs to be done to light a fire under his ass.