Bedard to the bullpen?

rp0806

BTW, [nothing to do with this thread, but], noticed what that bum, Jorge Julio is doing at Arizona?

To be fair, it's only been 8 innings. I seriously doubt Julio will have an ERA under 4.00 by the end of the season.

BTW, [nothing to do with this thread, but], noticed what that bum, Jorge Julio is doing at Arizona?

To be fair, it's only been 8 innings. I seriously doubt Julio will have an ERA under 4.00 by the end of the season.

See what he did in NY?? ;)

Thank you. A voice of reason is finally heard in this thread.

So, the voice of reason uses two mediocre starts to "proves" no one should consider a new role for a 27-year old starter with a 5.69 ERA this season and career 4.60 ERA? A pitcher who has gone past six innings in two of 14 starts? A pitcher who's stats look like this:

Season Stats SPLIT G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA Season 14 74.1 93 50 10 31 50 5 6 0 96.1 1.67 .305 5.69 Career 67 354.0 383 200 33 159 297 17 24 0 100.1 1.53 .275 4.60 Last 7 2 11.0 14 5 1 4 12 0 1 0 -- 1.64 .311 4.09 Projected 35 184 232 125 25 77 125 12 15 0 96.1 1.67 .305 5.69 

A pitcher who has averaged 5.5 innings per start?

Yeah, it's just crazy to believe a new role might be better for him. Thank God for the "voice of reason" when all some of us have done is provided facts and stats for his entire career, but let's go with the last two starts.

So, the voice of reason uses two mediocre starts to "proves" no one should consider a new role for a 27-year old starter with a 5.69 ERA this season and career 4.60 ERA? A pitcher who has gone past six innings in two of 14 starts? A pitcher who's stats look like this:
Season Stats SPLIT G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA Season 14 74.1 93 50 10 31 50 5 6 0 96.1 1.67 .305 5.69 Career 67 354.0 383 200 33 159 297 17 24 0 100.1 1.53 .275 4.60 Last 7 2 11.0 14 5 1 4 12 0 1 0 -- 1.64 .311 4.09 Projected 35 184 232 125 25 77 125 12 15 0 96.1 1.67 .305 5.69 

A pitcher who has averaged 5.5 innings per start?

Yeah, it's just crazy to believe a new role might be better for him. Thank God for the "voice of reason" when all some of us have done is provided facts and stats for his entire career, but let's go with the last two starts.

Well it makes more sense than moving him to the pen right now or even this year, that's for sure.

Well it makes more sense than moving him to the pen right now or even this year, that's for sure.

What, keeping him in the rotation? I have no problem with him staying in the rotation right now, but when Penn comes back, why not move him to the pen if he's better suited for that role?

His situation just reminds me so much of Arthur Rhodes. He's even got similar stuff to Rhodes. This team could really use an Arthur Rhodes type reliever and Bedard would probably thrive in that role if his arm allows him to pitch regularly. I don't really have a huge problem with giving him the rest of this year to see if he can improve his consistency in the rotation, but if not, they should try him in that role unless we can move him for power.

With Penn, Loewen, Johnson, Finch, Liz and Olson not too far away, we have a lot of starting candidates to come up through the system. Bedard could be a huge asset working out of that long setup role.

What, keeping him in the rotation? I have no problem with him staying in the rotation right now, but when Penn comes back, why not move him to the pen if he's better suited for that role?

With Penn, Loewen, Johnson, Finch, Liz and Olson not too far away, we have a lot of starting candidates to come up through the system. Bedard could be a huge asset working out of that long setup role.

Because we have no reason to move him to that role in a month. We should find out if he can be a starter for the rest of the year. If his future is in the BP, he doesn't need to go there now or even by August, unless he is awful for the next few months.

As i said, he will have more value if you trade him than moving him to the pen.

He should be dealt before being sent to the BP.

I agree, his trade value has already taken a hit, sending him to the pen will hurt it even more and will likely decrease his actual on the field value. Keep him in the rotation. Only trade him if we get an offer that we would have considered before the season started. An offer like that is unlikely to come imo.

I don't think Bedard's value is as high you seem to think. He's 27-years old and has never put together a completely successful full season in the majors. He's regressed this year and when you add in the fact that he's never been a guy who could go deep into games (not in the minors or majors), I think you would find his value has dropped.

Does he have value? Sure. But I don't think he has elite value anymore and with the Orioles need for bullpen help, it may be better to see if he can make a successful arthur Rhodes-type conversion.

If the O's can trade him and get a top power prospect they should, but I think eventually sending him to the bullpen is probably a more realistic outcome.

I agree concerning his value. I think it has taken a big hit. Was very very high early last season and has continued to diminish since. Don't agree about the bullpen part though. Maybe if we needed a closer so his trade value would remain high, plus the amount of money we are and will be paying him would be more justified.

If his future is in the BP, he doesn't need to go there now or even by August, unless he is awful for the next few months.

He's been awful for about a year now. A couple more months doesn't make much of a difference to me either way.

I agree that I'd prefer to trade him rather than put him in the BP, but I don't think he's going to net much in a trade at this point. I do think he could excel in a bullpen role, but I wouldn't prefer that until we give him every opportunity in the rotation and exhaust all trade possibilities.

He's been awful for about a year now. A couple more months doesn't make much of a difference to me either way.

I agree that I'd prefer to trade him rather than put him in the BP, but I don't think he's going to net much in a trade at this point. I do think he could excel in a bullpen role, but I wouldn't prefer that until we give him every opportunity in the rotation and exhaust all trade possibilities.

I am sure he can excel in the pen, as i think most starters could.

But there is no reason to try that right now.

Let him work with Mazzone more and get used to the throwing program.

He is frustrating me as much as anyone but i am not moving him from the rotation anytime soon, especially since he has pitched better his last few times out.

Because we have no reason to move him to that role in a month. We should find out if he can be a starter for the rest of the year. If his future is in the BP, he doesn't need to go there now or even by August, unless he is awful for the next few months.

As i said, he will have more value if you trade him than moving him to the pen.

See my previous post for lots of reasons why. To say there is no reason to move him to the pen is just not looking at the facts.

I agree concerning his value. I think it has taken a big hit. Was very very high early last season and has continued to diminish since. Don't agree about the bullpen part though. Maybe if we needed a closer so his trade value would remain high, plus the amount of money we are and will be paying him would be more justified.

How about instead of worrying about his value, we get him ina role he could thrive in? We're not just talking about this year's stats. He's proven over his entire career that's he's 5-6 inning pitcher max. I'm not sure that's what we really want in the rotation.

Bedard is Arthur Rhodes/Kent Merker. The sooner he converts to that role the better off we will be. It's not to bash Bedard, but rather use his best attributes in a role more suited to his stuff, and pitching style.

See my previous post for lots of reasons why. To say there is no reason to move him to the pen is just not looking at the facts.

Only ONE fact to look at......WE ARE NOT GOOD!

That is the fact to look at.

No reason to move BEdard right now.

Liz can't pitch past 6 innings in the minors and could easily be a reliever in the majors. Finch is probably more of a bullpen guy as well.

JJ Johnson has been up and down...Olson has been good but not good enough to think he can be here on OD.

Loewen and Penn can be here anyway, so that's not an issue.

Bedard can be moved to the BP at anytime. No need to do it now or in a month unless he is absolutely brutal, which over the past 2 starts, he hasn't been.

How about instead of worrying about his value, we get him ina role he could thrive in? We're not just talking about this year's stats. He's proven over his entire career that's he's 5-6 inning pitcher max. I'm not sure that's what we really want in the rotation.

Bedard is Arthur Rhodes/Kent Merker. The sooner he converts to that role the better off we will be. It's not to bash Bedard, but rather use his best attributes in a role more suited to his stuff, and pitching style.

Well despite his diminished value, I think I'd prefer to have whatever Bedard can get us in a trade rather than Erik in the pen.

Plus, I think he still has a chance to thrive in the rotation, and I would give him that chance this year with little to lose based on the circumstances.