LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But why sign him?

Unless they deal Scott, that means Pie is on the bench, rotting away his talents and trade value.

Its just a poor decision.

I bet Pie is worth the same or better WAR as LaRoche this year, given the same number of at bats and you may get to the point where Pie has a lot of value in a trade.

Not much of an upgrade, but he does have a better track record.

Getting this back on the LaRoche track, this guy is the second coming of Aubrey Huff.

His defense has been all over the place and it seems he's going to heat up for the latter part of the season, and we'll be probably be throwing our remotes (except for Hank Scorpio ;) ) whenever the guy is at the plate from April-July.

.252 BA, .773 OPS first half, .300 BA, .909 OPS second half.

LaRoche was worth 2.4 WAR last season splitting time between three clubs, and could be worth that again.

He's the definition of mediocre stopgap and would be another 2.0-2.5 WAR player Andy could add to his collection of mediocrity this offseason...

Joy.

For less money then Huff, but you are right. But LaRoche is better than Huff and cheaper (most likely).

But why sign him?

Unless they deal Scott, that means Pie is on the bench, rotting away his talents and trade value.

Its just a poor decision.

I bet Pie is worth the same or better WAR as LaRoche this year, given the same number of at bats and you may get to the point where Pie has a lot of value in a trade.

True, it is a bit of a curious move with Scott already on the roster. They are almost identical hitters. I suppose it would indicate that the organization really wasn't comfortable with Scott's glove at first.

I'd like to think that if the Orioles signed LaRoche it would be for less than two guaranteed years and they think they might be able to trade Scott for something useful. Paying LaRoche ~ 8MM doesn't make much sense if you keep Scott at DH and let Pie ride the pine. We'll see.

Pie obviously has all the tools to be an excellent outfielder regardless of where he's standing, but for whatever reason there was something off with him in LF.

No idea why, but when they moved him to CF, he looked much more comfortable both offensively and defensively.

Who knows.

LaRoche isn't awful.

Not thrilled over it, certainly...but it's not a big time blunder. Averages 26 homers, .834 OPS. What's wrong with that?

SG will be here shortly to let me know.

I agree, decent defensively also as I recall. I wish he was right handed but I prefer him to Beltre, Kotchman and a questionable health Delgado. I would think he goes to SF though, but who knows.

What are you talking about? No he didn't.

I think he was below average for the first half of the year and improved a good bit from the mid point on. He consistently took bad angles especially breaking to the line. He is a much better CFer but I thought his path to the ball was questionable even there.

I would be surprised if they didn't trade Luke Scott regardless of what happens with LaRoche.

Im okay with Laroche as the best option left if they can trade for a better one...I gues that means Atkins at 3B which is a whammy IMO.

As for Scott ...I think hes traded as well.

Getting this back on the LaRoche track, this guy is the second coming of Aubrey Huff.

His defense has been all over the place and it seems he's going to heat up for the latter part of the season, and we'll be probably be throwing our remotes (except for Hank Scorpio ;) ) whenever the guy is at the plate from April-July.

.252 BA, .773 OPS first half, .300 BA, .909 OPS second half.

LaRoche was worth 2.4 WAR last season splitting time between three clubs, and could be worth that again.

He's the definition of mediocre stopgap and would be another 2.0-2.5 WAR player Andy could add to his collection of mediocrity this offseason...

Joy.

He is somewhat similar to Huff, though I'd say he's at least a half-notch better than Huff was when we signed him. His career OPS of .834 is a bit better than Huff's was at the time, and he's had 2 straight years of .840+ going into next season whereas Huff had a couple of off years prior to signing with us.

I don't think he's what we'd want long term but he is decent enough to upgrade our offense for 1-2 years and allow the younger guys to mature.

I would be surprised if they didn't trade Luke Scott regardless of what happens with LaRoche.

This should have happened already (like a year ago). But adding LaRoche while Scott is still on the team makes no sense. LaRoche basically is Luke Scott, except for a couple of years of age and the experience at 1B.

All those who are applauding the possibility of a LaRoche signing, please tell me what else he brings to the team that they don't already get from Scott.

Trade Scott, get a decent reliever or a middle infield prospect. Fine... But to go to ST with both of these guys on the roster, paying LaRoche $8-10MM, would be ludicrous.

Archived