LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trea, ADD really REALLY sucks. Fortunately, there are medical treatments available now that don't involve amphetamines (I assume that most theraputic forms are banned in MLB). If Adam LaRoche is on a treatment program, then I would not worry about him keeping his "head in the game".

If there's a guy the O's can sign to play a good first base, who puts up a .850 OPS on a 1/8 or 2/12 kind of deal I wouldn't care if he had both the consumption and bubonic plague.

If there's a guy the O's can sign to play a good first base, who puts up a .850 OPS on a 1/8 or 2/12 kind of deal I wouldn't care if he had both the consumption and bubonic plague.

How cold of you...we wouldn't want our other players catching the bubonic plague, it's communicable. ;)

I remember (vaguely) when I was in college, whenever we took ritalin we would study for days. Might help with Crow in the cage.

I've been on several different treatments. Ritalin and it's derivatives work pretty well, but Ritalin is an amphetamine, and I'm not sure if it violates MLB's ban on amphetamine (it's in a controlled, therapeutic dose, so it's not like he's popping greenies).

There are even new forms of the drug that bond the amphetamine molecules to L-Lysine molecules making the abuse and addiction potential of the drug miniscule, while providing the same basic effect as ritalin.

Alternatively, there are non-amphetamine treatments available, too. Selective Norepinephrine Re-uptake inhibitors seem to promote a stimulating effect on the part of the brain that slows down in people with ADD/ADHD without using artificial stimulants, per se.

Anyway, my point is this: saying that a guy can't be a good first baseman because he has ADD is unfair. Like many medical conditions out there, ADD is treatable and manageable. I'm sure that any MLB player with the resources available can find a great doctor and get on an effective treatment program with no real issues.

LaRoche is clearly the best option left for 1B, considering all factors. Delgado at his best is a better hitter, but there are concerns about his age, health and ability to play in the field going forward. LaRoche is clearly a cut above Garko or Blalock, and more than a few cuts above Wiggy or Aubrey.

Scott is comparable to LaRoche offensively, but we have no idea whether he can handle the job defensively. If you rely on Scott and he can't scoop throws or handle grounders, then you've probably lost some games early in the season because of it, and you'll be stuck with Wiggy and Aubrey until Bell or Snyder is ready.

So my preference is to sign LaRoche, and hopefully get a real prospect of some kind back for Scott. I wonder if LaRoche will sign for what we're willing to pay him, though. 2/17 is a pretty reasonble offer--close to the most that I'd want to pay--and he turned it down. No way would I offer LaRoche three years, especially considering the free agent options at 1B that could be available next off season.

Yea, but could you imagine the legendary stories you'd get when Nick hits a dramatic 9th-inning playoff homer while coughing up blood into a handkerchief like Val Kilmer in Tombstone?
I don't remember Kilmer hitting a HR in Tombstone.:laughlol:

But back to the LaRoche topic...If we are going to settle for stop gaps at the corners until we have long term solutions (I am not sold on Snyder), then we need to have capable, MLB average at worst, stop gaps. We cannot trot out a guy like Michael Aubrey.

I am fine with a LaRoche signing. He gives you a capable players for one or two seasons, and could potentially contribute more than we expect. Also, to be honest, I do not see a problem in spending more than necessary on short term contracts. What is our payroll for next season? Like $8.42 or something?

Archived