LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

They absolutely do not speak for themselves.

Its a) a small sample size, b) doesn't account for his severe foot injury, and c) not intuitively in step with how athletic he is.

I think its likely that Nolan ends up as a below average defender in LF and may need to move, he wasn't really regarded as a great defender in the minors, but I also feel that its way too early to dismiss his chances.

Using just his stats from about half a season while he was injured to come to any conclusions is not good science.

Tom Tango and other smart folks have a rule of thumb that confidence in defensive metrics is about half that of offensive metrics. So if you have a UZR number over two years, that's about as reliable as someone's wOBA or OPS or something over one year.

So Reimold's defensive numbers are about as reliable as six weeks of batting performance.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rosenthal says Miguel Tejada is looking for two years and $16MM; I can't think of a team that would come close to that.

Tejeda is even crazier then Laroche. 8 million a year, good luck Miggy.

I'd rather have Miggy back than Laroche. 200 hits last year @ whatever age, right handed bat, 48 strikeouts in 635 ab's!

I'd rather have Miggy back than Laroche. 200 hits last year @ whatever age, right handed bat, 48 strikeouts in 635 ab's!
Miggy's road numbers (away from bandbox Houston which is the only reason it looks like he still has any pop left) the last couple years:

2009: .283/.313/.395/.709 4 HRs

2008: .273/.307/.394/.701 5 HRs

He's got no power and can't draw a walk. Not a guy I want at 3B.

Miggy's road numbers (away from bandbox Houston which is the only reason it looks like he still has any pop left) the last couple years:

2009: .283/.313/.395/.709 4 HRs

2008: .273/.307/.394/.701 5 HRs

He's got no power and can't draw a walk. Not a guy I want at 3B.

Bandbox stadiums have to do more with power numbers, less to do with hits and obp. and nothing to do with the amount of time he K's!

Also we have a pretty hitter friendly yard. (Not sure his home power numbers would suffer that much.)

IDK what percentage, at what angle of trajectory, of balls hits in what humidity, at so much above sea level makes a difference.

But he makes contact and he can play third and he is right handed. At the same money I like Miggy better than Laroche.

Also we have a pretty hitter friendly yard. (Not sure his home power numbers would suffer that much.)

I was going to say, OPACY has been a more offensive park than Minute Maid, recently. Miggy was a home hitter when he was with the Orioles as well. What I don't like are his GIDP's.

Bandbox stadiums have to do more with power numbers, less to do with hits and obp. and nothing to do with the amount of time he K's!

IDK what percentage, at what angle of trajectory, of balls hits in what humidity, at so much above sea level makes a difference.

But he makes contact and he can play third and he is right handed. At the same money I like Miggy better than Laroche.

Who cares how many times he Ks? That doesn't help anything. Is popping out somehow better than striking out?

He's got no power and no plate discipline. Its a nice skill that he can still hit for a high average, and that's why he's still a usable player as opposed to Juan Uribe, but he's not an impact offensive player. And, if his hitting skills drop at all, he'll be at a .300 OBP, which is abysmal.

I wouldn't want Tejada or LaRoche on more than a one-year contract, and as of now, both are looking for more. If given a choice between Tejada or Crede, assuming a one-year deal, I'd take Tejada every day of the week.

And a fly ball out is better than a strike out, if it's deep enough with a man on third. ;) It's the double play ground balls that kill you!

Hahaha in that people remember what he did in 2004 and think he'd provide the same production today.

Who thinks that?? We're discussing who the most affordable/effective stopgaps for third or first base would be. Not long term franchise players that we expect to knock in 150 runs.

Who thinks that?? We're discussing who the most affordable/effective stopgaps for third or first base would be. Not long term franchise players that we expect to knock in 150 runs.

Agreed. I don't expect we'd get the Tejada we signed 8 years ago. But, I do think he'd be better than any of the available alternatives if it were limited to a one year contract. If he wants more than that, I'd be opposed. But one year of Tejada will give us the best possible stop gap for Bell while allowing Atkins to move to 1B where his glove will do less harm and provide better offense, even with the lack of walks, than Joe Crede or any of the other short-term possibilities.

No offense to people with ADD, but we need somebody with their head in the game. But unlike Huff who just looked disinterested because he was, LaRoche would have an excuse...

This is probably the most ignorant post I've read on here in some time. Good work. Just because you say "no offense" doesn't nullify the fact that you offended.

This is probably the most ignorant post I've read on here in some time. Good work. Just because you say "no offense" doesn't nullify the fact that you offended.
For the Trea a little ADD would be a welcome relief from the ususal OCD.:laughlol:

Archived