If Harper falls to #3, do we jump on it?

Questions:

We already have a super stud catcher, do we need another? I suppose he can be moved to 3B or the OF.

Do we want to spend the money it will take to sign him?

Most importantly- will he live up to the hype? Critics point out he hasn't played against top competition, and some even think the desert air inflates offensive statistics. Will there be other players available at #3 who can be as good for a lot less money?

Questions:

We already have a super stud catcher, do we need another? I suppose he can be moved to 3B or the OF.

Most importantly- will he live up to the hype? Critics point out he hasn't played against top competition, and some even think the desert air inflates offensive statistics. Will there be other players available at #3 who can be as good for a lot less money?

THese are very poorly thought-out criticisms, if you ask me. Harper has played against competition 2-3 years his senior for the past five years and has participated in showcases and tournaments across the country and even in some other countries. He's not playing against 3rd graders at Coors Field...

Questions:

"Falling" to three could be for a couple of reasons, and it would depend on what the reason was. Money? Certainly a plausible reason. Talent questioned after a so-so season against stiff older competition? Possible as well, but scouts should be able to make a sound judgment call on Harper's skill-set, regardless of the results this coming year.

I think Harper could be a truly great player, an A-Rod, or Pujols, or Mauer-type impact player, however, we will know more in June than we do now. I expect Harper will wind up going #1, but he could drop to us at three and be our next #1 pick. Time -as always- will tell.

THese are very poorly thought-out criticisms, if you ask me. Harper has played against competition 2-3 years his senior for the past five years and has participated in showcases and tournaments across the country and even in some other countries. He's not playing against 3rd graders at Coors Field...

Agreed, possible attitude issues aside, Harper is considered a bona-fide once-in-a-generation talent, and has always been able to not only hang with kids his senior, but thrive doing so. As I have mentioned before, I'm a believer in Harper's talent, and would be incredibly excited to have him in our system.

Agreed, possible attitude issues aside, Harper is considered a bona-fide once-in-a-generation talent, and has always been able to not only hang with kids his senior, but thrive doing so. As I have mentioned before, I'm a believer in Harper's talent, and would be incredibly excited to have him in our system.

Eh, once-in-a-generation talent is a very overused phrase. So let's just say this: if Harper is available to us, and is still as highly regarded by next June as he is today, I would not pass him over just because the price tag is high and we already have a stud catcher. By the time Harper is major league ready, we can simply trade either him or Wieters.

How many years of polish will Harper need, do you think? I'd say a minimum of 2 (after 2010), and more likely 3.

Eh, once-in-a-generation talent is a very overused phrase. So let's just say this: if Harper is available to us, and is still as highly regarded by next June as he is today, I would not pass him over just because the price tag is high and we already have a stud catcher. By the time Harper is major league ready, we can simply trade either him or Wieters.

How many years of polish will Harper need, do you think? I'd say a minimum of 2 (after 2010), and more likely 3.

He isn't as refined defensively as Mauer was and his approach is much more raw at the plate. If pushed to hazard a guess, I'd say your estimate is the optimistic view, with 4 years being most likely (arriving some point in 2014). It may not be at catcher -- third base and right field could become distinct possibilities.

The phrase may be overused, I don't know, but he is among the greatest prospects ever scouted. Time-tables are hard to gauge, but if Harper really is that good , 2-3 years seems reasonable. Justin Upton being a prime example. Regarding already having Wieters, I don't see drafting Harper as an issue. I'd love to have them both.

The money shouldn't be too much of a consideration with Harper's talent, and I have no problem having Wieters and Harper at the same time.

I also agree its still a bit early. I distinctly remember that last winter posters were expecting maybe Alex White or Aaron Crow at the 5 spot, and bemoaning the fact that Grant Green would surely be already taken.

The money shouldn't be too much of a consideration with Harper's talent, and I have no problem having Wieters and Harper at the same time.

I also agree its still a bit early. I distinctly remember that last winter posters were expecting maybe Alex White or Aaron Crow at the 5 spot, and bemoaning the fact that Grant Green would surely be already taken.

Ding, ding, winner here.

Things are going to change a good amount between now and draft time, Harper will still be in it, just a question of money scaring people or what position he'd be able to play and just how well he does in JuCo this year.

I think Taillon, Cole, Renaudo and McGuire are all in there, but college pitchers tend to rise and drop a good amount going into draft season, and none of the college hitters have really stood out yet. I'm looking for Bentz to have a big year, and Colon to do well, but my heart is really set on the HS kids this year for some reason.

Ding, ding, winner here.

Things are going to change a good amount between now and draft time, Harper will still be in it, just a question of money scaring people or what position he'd be able to play and just how well he does in JuCo this year.

I think Taillon, Cole, Ranaudo and McGuire are all in there, but college pitchers tend to rise and drop a good amount going into draft season, and none of the college hitters have really stood out yet. I'm looking for Bentz to have a big year, and Colon to do well, but my heart is really set on the HS kids this year for some reason.

Yeah... the HS Crop looks solid, especially in pitching, although the hitters have a few kids that strike me as potential studs. Outside of Harper, I am particularly high on Nick Castellanos (3B) and Manny Machado (SS), with Indiana SS Justin O'Connor rising up as well.

Among the pitchers, Jameson Taillon stands out to me, but Dylan Covey, DeAndre Smelter, A.J. Cole and Karsten Whitson could all challenge for a Top Ten position.

Yeah... the HS Crop looks solid, especially in pitching, although the hitters have a few kids that strike me as potential studs. Outside of Harper, I am particularly high on Nick Castellanos (3B) and Manny Machado (SS), with Indiana SS Justin O'Connor rising up as well.

Among the pitchers, Jameson Taillon stands out to me, but Dylan Covey, DeAndre Smelter, A.J. Cole and Karsten Whitson could all challenge for a Top Ten position.

Same here, but I actually like Yordy Cabrera a LITTLE more than Machado. Haven't really been able to figure out why yet, just a gut feeling I guess. Who knows if any of them actually stick at SS, but there should be some good INF in this class either way. Castellanos I have been a big fan of since the UA game, he just really impressed me. Moreso than either Borchering or Davidson last year.

Archived