Mario Lemieux makes bid for Pirates

sakata_catching

Apparently, the Pittsburgh Penguins ownership group, headed by Mario Lemieux, has made a bid to purchase the Pirates from Bob Nutting, despite his protestations that the team is not for sale. Story here.

This is a bombshell most likely to wind up a dud. Nutting isn't likely to sell, and I'm not convinced this group would represent a substantive (or any) improvement over the current regime.

Apparently, the Pittsburgh Penguins ownership group, headed by Mario Lemieux, has made a bid to purchase the Pirates from Bob Nutting, despite his protestations that the team is not for sale. Story here.

This is a bombshell most likely to wind up a dud. Nutting isn't likely to sell, and I'm not convinced this group would represent a substantive (or any) improvement over the current regime.

What? Mario Lemieux was the savior for the Penguins. He would be great for the Pirates IMO.

The salary cap and drafting Sidney Crosby were the saviors for the Penguins. Lemieux nearly moved the team to Kansas City.

Lemieux was the one to keep the team in Pitt. Take Crosby off the Pengs and they still are a top 5 team in the East.

Lemieux was the one to keep the team in Pitt.

Yes, he did — after threatening for months to move them to Kansas City and squeezing the city for $325M. His motive wasn't to keep the Pens in PIT; like any good businessman, it was to get the greatest ROI. That he was able to do both by staying in PIT was a happy coincidence.

So, yeah, in that sense Lemieux saved Pittsburgh hockey. Point conceded.:cool:

Take Crosby off the Pengs and they still are a top 5 team in the East.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything.

Yes, he did — after threatening for months to move them to Kansas City and squeezing the city for $325M. His motive wasn't to keep the Pens in PIT; like any good businessman, it was to get the greatest ROI. That he was able to do both by staying in PIT was a happy coincidence.

So, yeah, in that sense Lemieux saved Pittsburgh hockey. Point conceded.:cool:

I fail to see what this has to do with anything.

The arena deal was necessary. The Mellon arena is one of the smallest and oldest stadium in hockey. It was built in like the early 60s. The other locations were all offering a new arena and Oklahoma City, KC, and Houston are all larger markets than Pitt.

You said that Crosby and the salary cap saved the Penguins. My point is they would have still been a great team without Crosby. They have built a great foundation (due to all their high draft picks turning into studs....Malkin, Fleury, Staal, etc..).

Archived