Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in favor of freedom of personal expression, including the growing of facial hair. O's players having beards is fine with me. Beards are natural. If we didn't have razors, most men would have beards.

Management has the right to direct employees in business matters but they should stay out of their employees lives when it comes to innocuous personal decisions like whether or not to wear a beard.

It's slightly different with the companies out here on the left coast. The ones I worked for in the Bmore/DC area were very uptight about appearance. I also worked at the coporate offices while out there so maybe that has something to do with it. Not saying it's like that at every company in the area, just my experience.

We just got a new hire in recently that has dreadlocks who also happens to be an MIT grad. We hire many eccentric, highly educated people. Most of the PhD's have frizzed out hair and unkempt beards. You know, the guys that look like they could either be a technical genius or a serial killer. I also work with a guy who looks like Hulk Hogan. Actually there are many biker types that work in our manufacturing areas and design areas. Many of which are Vietnam veterans. They have long hair, poney tails, beards, wear motorcycle boots, etc.

We pretty much wear what we want but if you consider yourself professional, which most of us are, then you wear what's appopriate for the occaision. Like if you're meeting with customers you might wear a collared shirt, suit and tie. Job performance, character, skillset, etc are more important to a company trying to make money. By the way, these guys design and build the space shuttle main engines and the new Constellation Ares I/V rocket engines among other things.

There are many reasons/jobs where tou NEED have short hair. The military does it as a form of discipline and for health reasons. If you're a guy that runs rotating machinery you may not want to have long hair. If you work in a clean room all day you may not want to have a beard. But for the sake of conformance to a society set standard, because of the way someone thinks it looks, this rule is totally pointless.

Its exactly the type of short sightedness exemplified by the facial hair policy that has kept us from signing premium free agents.

Rick Sutcliffe would have never signed here today

Later, at an afternoon news conference, Hemond was asked about the neatly trimmed red beard that is a Sutcliffe trademark. The Orioles, whose dress code has been gradually altered over the years, have never had a bearded player.

Hemond was asked if the subject came up during negotiations.

"You're looking at the Orioles' first bearded player," Hemond said with a laugh. "I asked John [manager John Oates] about it and he had no objection."

Sutcliffe's appearance most likely will have an influence on other players who have refrained from excessive facial hair during the season, most notably reliever Gregg Olson. And that's fine with Oates.

"As long as it's neatly trimmed, I don't see any difference between a beard and a mustache," said Oates, who has hair covering his own upper lip. "I'd like to see Olson grow a beard -- I think it would make him look meaner. He looks like a choir boy out there now."

I've lived life as a long-haired "weird beard" character and a "presentable", clean cut, hair above the collar professional and experienced firsthand how (some) people reacted to me differently based on my appearance.

Contrary to those who opine that the "appearance makes the man" or however they choose to phrase it, I was the same person all along and my experiences only reinforced my belief that those anal retentive types who get so worked up about someone else's appearance are the ones with the problem.

These are grown men, it's not the Army, baseball is supposed to be fun. If I were Angelos I'd give $1000 monthly bonuses to the guy with the coolest facial hair, as voted by his teammates. Seriously. Rollie Fingers - awesome. Al Habrosky - even better. The whole 1890s - rock on! Markakis' Grizzly Adams - keep it all year.

These kind of "you need to be like me" rules make people look little, petty and bitter.

Totally, 100%, agree.

I would love for Markakis to sport that beard year long; it'd add so much entertainment and personality to the games/Orioles. I can't believe how many people are against the players not looking clean shaven and "professional" - it's a kid's game! Let them have some fun. Who wants a team full of clones!

Probably the same types of people that don't think you should be allowed to celebrate after touchdowns, either! :laughlol:

So true, which is why the Yankees can't sign anybody. Oh wait...

You bring up a good point. Now I don't know what to think. Rick Sutcliffe had a beard and pitched a shutout once for the Orioles. That seems to be fairly irrefutable logic that leads me to believe we will win the world series if we lift the facial hair ban.

On the other hand, Don Draper is clean shaven and scores alot of chicks.

I'm really confused.

Just shows that most people value 893 quadrillion dollars over basic freedoms. Write them a gigantic check and most folks don't care that their boss is a stereotype from 1956.

The team is a reflection on Angelos (as is evidenced by the fanbase's hatred of him), so if he wants his team to be clean shaven and look professional, then he has that right.

I've lived life as a long-haired "weird beard" character and a "presentable", clean cut, hair above the collar professional and experienced firsthand how (some) people reacted to me differently based on my appearance.

Contrary to those who opine that the "appearance makes the man" or however they choose to phrase it, I was the same person all along and my experiences only reinforced my belief that those anal retentive types who get so worked up about someone else's appearance are the ones with the problem.

I lived the same life as you, which is why I can't understand why people keep insisting that facial hair shows personality. No matter what I have looked like, I've been the same person. I just look better when I clean up.

Archived