Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's "no facial hair" policy?

Nobody who gets drafted to play professional baseball should be complaining about "bad luck". You're getting paid loads of money to play a game. Shaving is quite literally the least they could do for their employer.

I disagree. I don't think that you should have to give up personal preferences most everyone else takes for granted because you have an awesome job. This is the same argument folks make about the draft - "who cares if baseball players have no input in who they work for or where they work, since they're rich!!" I hate that one, too.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The team is a reflection on Angelos (as is evidenced by the fanbase's hatred of him), so if he wants his team to be clean shaven and look professional, then he has that right.

And if he wants his team's best coach in the past 35 years forced to resign, then he has that right too. Or if he wants to fire fantastic GMs, then he has that right.

I disagree. I don't think that you should have to give up personal preferences most everyone else takes for granted because you have an awesome job. This is the same argument folks make about the draft - "who cares if baseball players have no input in who they work for or where they work, since they're rich!!" I hate that one, too.

I think you do what your employer asks you to do since he's the one paying you. If you don't want to comply, then quit.

Nobody who gets drafted to play professional baseball should be complaining about "bad luck". You're getting paid loads of money to play a game. Shaving is quite literally the least they could do for their employer.

This is getting better and better... it's gone from "everybody should look the way I think looks best"... to "the owner has a right to decide everybody's grooming"... to "everybody has rights, but ballplayers sacrifice theirs when they get drafted". I sure hope you won't bother to vote until you read up on some stuff... like, for example, how America is supposed to work. I'm guessing you never had an American civics class... am I right?

BTW, what country are you from, anyway? ;-)

This is getting better and better... it's gone from "everybody should look the way I think looks best"... to "the owner has a right to decide everybody's grooming"... to "everybody has rights, but ballplayers sacrifice theirs when they get drafted". I sure hope you won't bother to vote until you read up on some stuff... like, for example, how America is supposed to work. I'm guessing you never had an American civics class.

I never said everybody should look the way I think looks best. I gave my opinion that people look better clean shaven. I hate to disappoint you, but I'm a proud American that already has voted, so please don't condescend to me like I'm some ignorant foreigner. Yes, I know how America works. You grow up and try to find a job. When you do find a job, the more exclusive the job is, the more you have to comply to your employer's needs because if you don't there are plenty of people lined up behind you to take it who don't mind sacrificing a very small part of their freedom.

I think you do what your employer asks you to do since he's the one paying you. If you don't want to comply, then quit.

This debate has nothing to do with whether Angelos in entitled to impose this requirement. The debate is whether the requirement serves any useful purpose.

If I were to make the case in favor of the rule, I would make two arguments:

1. Even though the rule is somewhat arbitrary, it signals a certain level of discipline. Someone is setting rules and those rules are followed without being questioned. It sets a tone.

2. Even though neat facial hair might not be an issue in terms of presentation to the public, the line between "neat" and "sloppy" is murky and we have better things to do than debate where that line is, so just outlaw facial hair entirely.

If I owned a team, I'd feel there were other, more important ways to set a disciplined tone, and that my players should be sent the signal that they are adults and are expected to use good judgment about their appearance without being subject to rules unrelated to their performance on the field and the way they conduct themselves towards fans. But that's just me.

I have yet to meet that person. I've met people who think they look better, but I haven't actually met any who do.

You should meet me then. I've been told by numerous persons, including my wife, that I look better with facial hair. Mainly because I don't have a strong chin and the facial hair makes it look like I do.

This is getting better and better... it's gone from "everybody should look the way I think looks best"... to "the owner has a right to decide everybody's grooming"... to "everybody has rights, but ballplayers sacrifice theirs when they get drafted". I sure hope you won't bother to vote until you read up on some stuff... like, for example, how America is supposed to work. I'm guessing you never had an American civics class... am I right?

It's not a matter of what country someone is from. It is the matter of employer/employee relationship. If the employer wants clean shaven personnel, than that is the prerequisite for employment with that employer.

If employees, especially ones that are in the public eye, can do as they please in appearance. Should they be allowed to have facial piercings? How about tattoos or face paint?

mel-braveheart.jpg

If facial hair is allowed, at what point is too much, too much? And than who polices that?

General_James_Longstreet__small1.jpg

Too much? (But of course playing in Texas in August with that mug on, will be very drooling).

The bums will always lose.

Is this a, uhh, weekday?

Like someone else mentioned, I care more about the uniform and how it is worn than I am facial hair. I'm looking at you and your crooked hat Brad Bergesen and Robert Andino.

Do the Orioles have a policy on visiable tatoos? Would Jon Rauch or Joe Beimel be able to pitch for us?

You should meet me then. I've been told by numerous persons, including my wife, that I look better with facial hair. Mainly because I don't have a strong chin and the facial hair makes it look like I do.

I'm sure my opinion would be different. It's nothing personal. When I said that I've never met someone who looks better with facial hair, I should have qualified the statement by adding an IMO to the end.

The owner definitely has the power (not sure I'd call it a "right") to dictate a grooming policy. His team, his decision. When I buy a team I'll probably make a different decision.

What does this situation have to do with a civics class? The gov't doesn't have a right to invade your privacy or makes laws restricting your speech (maybe facial hair would be speech). But, this has nothing to do with the gov't. It's a private organization telling you what its policies are. You may not agree with it, but it's not your ball club. Of course Angelos has the right to tell his players they can't have facial hair, even if everyone hates it. If the players want to force a change, they can take it up with the owner or go to another team.

Archived