He'd better start "dropping the hammer" on the defense, otherwise he's going to be facing a pink slip before the season ends.

MacPhail's words just weren't for the players today...

I was thinking the same thing when I read this yesterday. The final spring training record may not be important, but the on field product better be good, and thus far, MacPhail is not impressed. Six straight losses, even in ST, is not a good sign.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure "dropping the hammer" would be the right reaction to yesterday's game. Josh Bell is almost certainly going to spend his 2010 in Norfolk, hopefully fine tuning his defense. I'm sure that Josh learned from his mistakes yesterday and will continue to work and correct whatever was problematic with his defense both with the MLB staff at spring training, and with coaches at Norfolk.

Furthermore, I could really care less about the spring training W/L record so far. In May, I wont even remember the final ST record.

His lack of "creativity" is what defines him. He's a career minor league manager who fluked his way to the major leagues and is destined to be a second tier manager for as long as he's here, absent a great lineup (which we don't have)

What's worse, with the pressure on this year to get to .500, I think he's going to turn taciturn somewhere around June or so, and the ending of his time here will not be pretty. Alas.

I'm a little late to this party but allow me to propose a counter point to the part in bold.

From the O's website:

...won two league titles and earned Manager of the Year awards in three leagues in 20 years managing in the minors.

He'd better start "dropping the hammer" on the defense, otherwise he's going to be facing a pink slip before the season ends.

MacPhail's words just weren't for the players today...

Talk about fitting the facts to the conclusion... Ever since Trembley was re-upped for 2010 you've been predicting he's going to be one of the first managers to get fired. So naturally you'd suggest that a bad game early in spring training would lead to his firing if he doesn't overreact and rip into the team.

Only you would interpret MacPhail's quote, which really was something like "the defense let us down, but we'll tighten that up, it's only spring training" as "that joker Trembley is out on his butt if he doesn't crack down, and hard."

I'm a little late to this party but allow me to propose a counter point to the part in bold.

From the O's website:

Clearly Trembley didn't fluke his way to a major league managing job. He got the job because he was a highly-respected minor league manager with a good track record with young players and a no-nonsense attitude, and the O's were/are a rebuilding team with lots of young players and had a clubhouse where the inmates ran the asylum.

I don't like interim managers getting the permanent job, in general, but he had a good resume and the right temperment. The only fluke about it was that he was in the right organization at the right time.

Talk about fitting the facts to the conclusion... Ever since Trembley was re-upped for 2010 you've been predicting he's going to be one of the first managers to get fired. So naturally you'd suggest that a bad game early in spring training would lead to his firing if he doesn't overreact and rip into the team.

Only you would interpret MacPhail's quote, which really was something like "the defense let us down, but we'll tighten that up, it's only spring training" as "that joker Trembley is out on his butt if he doesn't crack down, and hard."

I just ignore the stupid anti-Trembley threads because the same cast of characters make up their same ridiculous arguments over and over again.

I'm pretty sure we know the posters that can twist any quote, and I mean any quote into something that can support their same agenda.

It's comical that some people would have any concern (besides injuries) during spring training especially on defense where the errors have been by minor league guys for the most part. If the Orioles had won six straight, I sure wouldn't be getting my plans in order for this October.

The only way Trembley gets fired this year is if the team completely tanks and the clubhouse turns against him. No one can survive four poor seasons regardless of the "plan."

So yes, winning does matter this year for Trembley and I'm as optimistic about this team now as I was when the team opened camp and the only way my optimism will drop is if Roberts' injury ends up worse than being let on.

...but boy do I want to be.

I love this guys attitude...Was just watching the Orioles 30/30 show on MLBN and he is such a likable guy and he genuinely really cares about these players and this organization.

I don't feel he is creative enough with the lineups and drives too many regulars into the ground...and some of his philosophies I really disagree with but if he can be a better manager because his players are better, I really would like to see him here for a long time.

IMO, these things will improve as the quality of his overall roster depth improves. I mean, how flexible can you be with your lineups when you only have 4-6 ML starters on the roster?

I just ignore the stupid anti-Trembley threads because the same cast of characters make up their same ridiculous arguments over and over again.

I'm pretty sure we know the posters that can twist any quote, and I mean any quote into something that can support their same agenda.

It's comical that some people would have any concern (besides injuries) during spring training especially on defense where the errors have been by minor league guys for the most part. If the Orioles had won six straight, I sure wouldn't be getting my plans in order for this October.

The only way Trembley gets fired this year is if the team completely tanks and the clubhouse turns against him. No one can survive four poor seasons regardless of the "plan."

So yes, winning does matter this year for Trembley and I'm as optimistic about this team now as I was when the team opened camp and the only way my optimism will drop is if Roberts' injury ends up worse than being let on.

This is my biggest concern as well. A Roberts injury where he loses significant time will derail the direction of this team.

This is my biggest concern as well. A Roberts injury where he loses significant time will derail the direction of this team.

Since the current "direction" of the team is slow and steady "climb" towards 4th place...maybe a derailment is just what they need? ;)

The opening post explains exactly why I AM a Dave Trembley fan. He has so many traits that make me want him to remain our manager.

That said, this is a year to judge DT strictly. Significant W/L improvement, no September collapse, good use of the bench.

The opening post explains exactly why I AM a Dave Trembley fan. He has so many traits that make me want him to remain our manager.

That said, this is a year to judge DT strictly. Significant W/L improvement, no September collapse, good use of the bench.

Well said. As the overall talent level increases, his use of the talent level must also increase to maximize the talent. It's tough to justify running out bench players when they aren't any good. But when you have competent players waiting for PT, you have to find the right times to use them so the team has the best chance of success. It should be a fun year.

I love this guys attitude...Was just watching the Orioles 30/30 show on MLBN and he is such a likable guy and he genuinely really cares about these players and this organization.

I don't feel he is creative enough with the lineups and drives too many regulars into the ground...and some of his philosophies I really disagree with but if he can be a better manager because his players are better, I really would like to see him here for a long time.

Yes. This is pretty much where I am on DT. I find myself pulling for him to be successful because of his wonderful attitude and his passion for the game and his devotion to the players and the organization.

Re: the bolded part above...he really does...it's not an act with him.

As far as his lineup creativity, managing the bullpen, and all the other things he's criticized here for...he'll get better. He's paying attention. The better players (as Rob points out) will certainly help.

2010 will tell a lot about the direction of this club, but I'm confident that it will also reveal that Dave is, in fact, the best and right man for the job.

I agree, I think Trembley will turn this around! I love the guy, he has a great love of the game and the players.

Guest rochester

Yea, I think my problem is that I would be ecstatic to see him stay and win and grow into the position - it clouds my judgment because I do wince when I see him get trashed - whether I think it is meritorious or not. Maybe he hasn't been around the organization for decades but his attitude would fit in with the Oriole-way IMO.

Archived