...but boy do I want to be.

I love this guys attitude...Was just watching the Orioles 30/30 show on MLBN and he is such a likable guy and he genuinely really cares about these players and this organization.

I don't feel he is creative enough with the lineups and drives too many regulars into the ground...and some of his philosophies I really disagree with but if he can be a better manager because his players are better, I really would like to see him here for a long time.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this guys attitude...I don't feel he is creative enough with the lineups and drives too many regulars into the ground...... I really would like to see him here for a long time.

His lack of "creativity" is what defines him. He's a career minor league manager who fluked his way to the major leagues and is destined to be a second tier manager for as long as he's here, absent a great lineup (which we don't have)

What's worse, with the pressure on this year to get to .500, I think he's going to turn taciturn somewhere around June or so, and the ending of his time here will not be pretty. Alas.

I love this guys attitude...Was just watching the Orioles 30/30 show on MLBN and he is such a likable guy and he genuinely really cares about these players and this organization.

I don't feel he is creative enough with the lineups and drives too many regulars into the ground...and some of his philosophies I really disagree with but if he can be a better manager because his players are better, I really would like to see him here for a long time.

I don't love a lot of his tactical moves, but the tactical moves of a manager are really overrated, IMO, and I think the "mental" things and how a manager gets his players to play and, more importantly, prepare for the games may be underrated.

I could listen to him talk about baseball for hours on end. His press conferences after games, especially big wins, are tremendous.

I don't love a lot of his tactical moves, but the tactical moves of a manager are really overrated, IMO, and I think the "mental" things and how a manager gets his players to play and, more importantly, prepare for the games may be underrated.

I could listen to him talk about baseball for hours on end. His press conferences after games, especially big wins, are tremendous.

I agree with that first paragraph whole-heartedly. Over the course of 162 games, I think it's more important that you maintain your team's motivation than make the perfect tactical decisions.

His lack of "creativity" is what defines him. He's a career minor league manager who fluked his way to the major leagues and is destined to be a second tier manager for as long as he's here, absent a great lineup (which we don't have)

What's worse, with the pressure on this year to get to .500, I think he's going to turn taciturn somewhere around June or so, and the ending of his time here will not be pretty. Alas.

I'm not sure why this is worse. If we don't get to .500 or close, he's probably out of a job. It may not be fair, but he's getting his shot. If he's not the right guy for the job, 2010 is when we need to find that out. I don't want to be on the fence in April 2011.

Re: the bolded part above...he really does...it's not an act with him.

As far as his lineup creativity, managing the bullpen, and all the other things he's criticized here for...he'll get better. He's paying attention. The better players (as Rob points out) will certainly help.

2010 will tell a lot about the direction of this club, but I'm confident that it will also reveal that Dave is, in fact, the best and right man for the job.

I love the guy. I love the attitude and his infectious enthusiasm for the game. And while I don't think he has had a lot to work with, I do understand the aspirations of the front office to see some improvement on the field.

The on field decisions, the line-ups, all of those experiments that go wrong happen to every manager in the game. I think he is a bit sharper than some of his critics imply, and I don't think it is easy to win 'manager of the year' awards at any level.

All that said, the Birds need to show they can play an entire season, and not wilt in July and August. The record is not as important to me as the effort. There has to be some evidence the team will perform at their most capable level through those adverse days that face every team in the AL East.

I hope DT passes this test, and hope to see him be at the helm for years to come. He really has done the job he was initially hired to do, and I'm pulling for him to take his game, and the team, to the next level.

-Don

He'd better start "dropping the hammer" on the defense, otherwise he's going to be facing a pink slip before the season ends.

MacPhail's words just weren't for the players today...

Are you really complaining about defensive miscues a week into spring training?

Are you really complaining about defensive miscues a week into spring training?

I'm just pointing out MacPhail is not pleased...

"I don't like to lose games in spring training," he said. "More importantly than that, we have to tighten up the defense. You can't play defense like that. That probably concerns me more than the won-loss record. Poor Alberto Castillo had to get eight outs that inning. That's got to tighten up."

I'm just pointing out MacPhail is not pleased...
The people committing those miscues behind poor Castillo were Mil players who will not likely be on the team OD. I hardly think DT can be held responsible for their errors having only been managing them for a few weeks. As bad as some people think he is he couldn't have that big an influence. Creative managing is highly over rated. What matters most is gaining the respect of the players and motivating them to play as a team, instead of for themselves and a bigger future paycheck. All managers talk about fundamentals and doing the little things to win ballgames. The good managers actually get their players to do those things.

Archived