Cal Speaks

Hank Scorpio

And got lots of attention doing it.

I can't believe that Rosenthal believed the part about PA telling Cal he didn't want Cal getting credit for future team success. I figure that even he knew that was BS...

Aren't you going to wait to see what Rosenthal says in response to Cal and Angelos' responses?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, based on all the statements that have been made, it sounds to me that Ripken made a suggestion or wanted a certain position, and was either rejected outright or told it wasn't the right time. That is the main point of what Rosenthal printed, and neither Angelos nor Ripken actually denied it in their statements. Considering how carefully the statements were worded -- and the fact that Ripken went out of his way to directly deny the whole thing about "getting credit" -- it sounds to me like the majority of what Rosenthal reported was accurate.

Also, Rosenthal's source(s) may have interpreted or inferred the thing about Ripken receiving credit, and now it sounds like that was probably incorrect. I don't think that invalidates the rest of the story though.

I mean, based on all the statements that have been made, it sounds to me that Ripken made a suggestion or wanted a certain position, and was either rejected outright or told it wasn't the right time. That is the main point of what Rosenthal printed, and neither Angelos nor Ripken actually denied it in their statements. Considering how carefully the statements were worded -- and the fact that Ripken went out of his way to directly deny the whole thing about "getting credit" -- it sounds to me like the majority of what Rosenthal reported was accurate.

Also, Rosenthal's source(s) may have interpreted or inferred the thing about Ripken receiving credit, and now it sounds like that was probably incorrect. I don't think that invalidates the rest of the story though.

Ripken - “I have been consistent in my statements about a return to baseball since my retirement in 2001. With my son Ryan approaching the end of high school in a couple of years I have been thinking more seriously about a return to the big league game. I am more excited now to explore all opportunities and find the right situation that could lead me to the next phase of my life.”

He has made it clear that he wanted to wait until his kids were older and that time-frame may still be a couple years away.

Today's poll question

Who has more credibility as a journalist, Ken Rosenthal or Dan Rather?

Oh, Dan Rather by a mile. The by-now-famous incident was not about what he said being wrong, it was 100% about him failing to ensure his staff had their story straight about the font on the doc's. The actual content of the story was never even challenged, much less disproved...

No .

Funny. You're bashing SG on another thread because he says we never see Trembley talking to players after a mistake is made in the dugout.

Now you're bashing Rosenthal for printing a story that you didn't like, and might be true, and aren't even going to wait until he responds to Cal and Angelos to do it.

Oh, Dan Rather by a mile. The by-now-famous incident was not about what he said being wrong, it was 100% about him failing to ensure his staff had their story straight about the font on the doc's. The actual content of the story was never even challenged, much less disproved...

Of course, it was never proved, either. The burden of proof goes on the journalist. It shouldn't have to be "disproved".

I'd like to see Rosenthal call Cal a liar just to see the amount of heat that he gets for doing it.

I do expect Rosenthal to do some back peddling. Angelos and Cal were pretty direct in their responses, especially Cal.

Angelos was using some wiggle words in his response, and talked about things that weren't even mentioned in the Rosenthal article.

That said I am very interested to read what Rosenthal has to say.

Of course, it was never proved, either. The burden of proof goes on the journalist. It shouldn't have to be "disproved".

Hello? Do you remember what the actual story was about? Go back and see. Certain military records just magically vanished. It was a case where the only possible proof was to have those records produced, and they never were despite the fact that there was nothing about them that was classified, they were just personnel records, that's all. AFAIK, nobody ever claimed the story was not true. Instead, they just changed the subject to the font on the doc's, and lotsa people forgot about what the real issue of the story was...

It was pretty clear to me in watching him take questions on the topic that Rather wanted the story to be true and wanted to run it. I am pretty sure that if he had similar information about someone with whom he had similar politics that he would have demanded the story be checked out.

That may in fact be what happened in this instance.

Ripken - “I have been consistent in my statements about a return to baseball since my retirement in 2001. With my son Ryan approaching the end of high school in a couple of years I have been thinking more seriously about a return to the big league game. I am more excited now to explore all opportunities and find the right situation that could lead me to the next phase of my life.”

He has made it clear that he wanted to wait until his kids were older and that time-frame may still be a couple years away.

Yes the time-frame might be a couple of years away, but then why didn't he say: "I want to make it clear I was never rebuffed or rejected for any position with the Orioles. The only discussions we had were preliminary, as my only interest in a position with the Orioles will be in a couple of years when my son graduates."

Archived