Tejada .971, L. Hernandez .965

Frobby

The reason Tejada's bat is a plus is because he's a shortstop. It's not a plus at a hitter's position like LF/DH. Moving Tejada to LF/DH doesn't fill a left-spectrum hole for us, it turns an extremely valuable asset to slightly above "expendable mediocrity", provided that Tejada doesn't start sulking because we injured his pride by moving him over for an all-glove AA shorstop who will probably never hit enough to be a backup on a good team.

This is in response to whoever said Tejada should be our DH or LF next year "Whether he wants to or not"

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, no one play single-handedly loses games.

I'm not talking about stats saying Tejada was good or not. I'm talking about observation. I would seriously doubt the intelligence or baseball acumen of anyone claiming Tejada was far below average defensively before his injury. He played well below average immediately upon returning, but he's always been plus or minus an average defender otherwise and got back to that level around the end of the season.

Again, I respectfully disagree. If say, a routine DP is not turned that would end an inning with zero runs scored and the next hitters in line continue the inning by extending it into a big inning (like a 8-9 run inning) that one botched play could very well mean the game was lost right there. I know it happened this year with Tejada more than once.

The reason Tejada's bat is a plus is because he's a shortstop. It's not a plus at a hitter's position like LF/DH. Moving Tejada to LF/DH doesn't fill a left-spectrum hole for us, it turns an extremely valuable asset to slightly above "expendable mediocrity", provided that Tejada doesn't start sulking because we injured his pride by moving him over for an all-glove AA shorstop who will probably never hit enough to be a backup on a good team.

This is in response to whoever said Tejada should be our DH or LF next year "Whether he wants to or not"[/QUOTE]

I posted that. I don't understand how Tejada's bat would not be far superior in LF than what we have there now? In fact, the year Tejada had 150 rbi he would have been an asset anywhere on the field and in any lineup period as a DH or any spot. This stuff about matching a bat to a position is senseless to me as in my estimation they are not really connected. Offense and defense are two separate animals but both are nearly equal in importance although I would give a slight edge to defense. Just color me old school but I just don't think it matters. I just think you need a great number three hitter as well as a top cleanup hitter and a leadoff man. What position these three play is irrelevant.

Again, I respectfully disagree. If say, a routine DP is not turned that would end an inning with zero runs scored and the next hitters in line continue the inning by extending it into a big inning (like a 8-9 run inning) that one botched play could very well mean the game was lost right there. I know it happened this year with Tejada more than once.
I'd argue that the botched DP cost a run or three, but that its still the pitchers job to get outs. If the pitcher gives up 6 hits to the next 6 guys, how is that the defenders fault?

When the team doesn't pick up an individual who makes a bad play, thats when the game is lost. Not after the initial bad play.

I'd argue that the botched DP cost a run or three, but that its still the pitchers job to get outs. If the pitcher gives up 6 hits to the next 6 guys, how is that the defenders fault?

When the team doesn't pick up an individual who makes a bad play, thats when the game is lost. Not after the initial bad play.

That is one way to view it but another way to view it is the pitcher should have been sitting on the bench resting with the inning over and not having to throw all those extra pitches, which not only often lead to extra runs but run up his pitch count hastening his earlier departure and also playing a big role in over-use of the bullpen .....all because a major league shortstop couldn't make a routine play that a high school shortstop would normally make!

all because a major league shortstop couldn't make a routine play that a high school shortstop would normally make!
Find a guy who has never made an error on a routine play and then this statement would be valid.

Errors happen. Maybe Tejada makes a few more than others, but his errors don't cause any more damage than anyone elses. He's an average defender, he makes some plays other guys don't, and misses some ones other guys make. End of story.

Find a guy who has never made an error on a routine play and then this statement would be valid.

Errors happen. Maybe Tejada makes a few more than others, but his errors don't cause any more damage than anyone elses. He's an average defender, he makes some plays other guys don't, and misses some ones other guys make. End of story.

Yes they do, did, and have just this past season. Enough of us viewed it that way to post our thoughts previously on this very forum. Apparently Orioles Management has arrived at the same conclusion. I am sorry that for some reason you fail to see it, but I am done beating the proverbial dead horse on this with you. Have a nice evening!:)

I posted that. I don't understand how Tejada's bat would not be far superior in LF than what we have there now? In fact, the year Tejada had 150 rbi he would have been an asset anywhere on the field and in any lineup period as a DH or any spot. This stuff about matching a bat to a position is senseless to me as in my estimation they are not really connected. Offense and defense are two separate animals but both are nearly equal in importance although I would give a slight edge to defense. Just color me old school but I just don't think it matters. I just think you need a great number three hitter as well as a top cleanup hitter and a leadoff man. What position these three play is irrelevant.

Simply put, hopefully (though not likely) for the last time.

It is easier to find someone who plays average defense in left field and can hit, then it is to find the same thing at shortstop. Therefore, when you have a shortstop who can do that, it is a better idea to go looking for a left fielder then to go looking for a new shortstop.

Yes they do, did, and have just this past season. Enough of us viewed it that way to post our thoughts previously on this very forum. Apparently Orioles Management has arrived at the same conclusion. I am sorry that for some reason you fail to see it, but I am done beating the proverbial dead horse on this with you. Have a nice evening!:)
Orioles management doesn't think Tejada is a bad defensive player. Orioles managerment has decided they want an elite defensive SS, which Tejada is not, and to get their offense elsewhere.

I'm glad you're done, because the bolded statement should prevent you from posting further on the topic anyway.

I posted that. I don't understand how Tejada's bat would not be far superior in LF than what we have there now? In fact, the year Tejada had 150 rbi he would have been an asset anywhere on the field and in any lineup period as a DH or any spot. This stuff about matching a bat to a position is senseless to me as in my estimation they are not really connected. Offense and defense are two separate animals but both are nearly equal in importance although I would give a slight edge to defense.

Sure, Tejada's 2004 season is a plus at any position, but Tejada can't really be reasonably expected to play at that level again.

Here are all 30 team's primary left fielders, sorted by EqA. I'll put Tejada's in place of Payton

1. Bonds SF .353

2. Holliday COL .318

3. Alou NYM .312

4. Dunn CIN .304

5. Burrell PHI .303

6. Lee HOU .294

7. Ramirez BOS .291

8. Crawford TB .286

8. Soriano CHC .286

8. Willingham FLA .286

11. Matsui NYY .285

11. Duncan STL .285

12. Ibanez SEA .282

13. Church WAS .281

14. Byrnes ARI .277

15. Tejada BAL .272

16. Gonzalez LAD.271

17. Kubel MIN .270

18. Mackowiak CWS .268

18. Willits LAA .268

20. Jenkins MIL .263

20. Catalanotto TEX .263

21. Stewart OAK .262

22. Harris ATL .259

23. Bay PIT .257

24. Cruz, Jr SD .251

25. Michaels CLE .243

26. Gathright KC .246

27. Lind TOR .224

28. Monroe DET .212

It's an upgrade over third worst in baseball, but something about faint praise

Simply put, hopefully (though not likely) for the last time.

It is easier to find someone who plays average defense in left field and can hit, then it is to find the same thing at shortstop. Therefore, when you have a shortstop who can do that, it is a better idea to go looking for a left fielder then to go looking for a new shortstop.

I just fail to see the significance of requiring a great hitting shortstop, which is much more important as a defensive position than offensive. Again, as long as you have a great hitter batting third (Frank Robinson old Orioles Nick Markakis, current team etc.) and a solid cleanup hitter (Brooks Robinson- old Orioles- Tejada current team) it really doesn't matter where they play on defense. Tejada could play third or LF. The Orioles back in their heyday got most of their offense out of RF (Frank) Third (Brooks) and First (Boog). You simply need to have at least three big bats in your lineup along with a high OBP leadoff hitter. This infatuation with the bat being a shorstop is just silly and meaningless. No team is going to have a big bat at every position, so who needs to have it at shortstop as long as you have at least three solid bats (2-4 or 3-5.)?

I just fail to see the significance of requiring a great hitting shortstop, which is much more important as a defensive position than offensive. Again, as long as you have a great hitter batting third (Frank Robinson old Orioles Nick Markakis, current team etc.) and a solid cleanup hitter (Brooks Robinson- old Orioles- Tejada current team) it really doesn't matter where they play on defense. Tejada could play third or LF. The Orioles back in their heyday got most of their offense out of RF (Frank) Third (Brooks) and First (Boog). You simply need to have at least three big bats in your lineup along with a high OBP leadoff hitter. This infatuation with the bat being a shorstop is just silly and meaningless. No team is going to have a big bat at every position, so who needs to have it at shortstop as long as you have at least three solid bats (2-4 or 3-5.)?

We don't need a great hitter at SS...But we do need someone who can actually hit.

Very good defense and an OPS of 720+ is what we need...Really i would prefer a 750+ OPS at SS but if the guy is an exceptional defensive SS(which i do not think LH is) and has very good speed, i would take a little less OPS.

Archived