Arrieta says he is ready for the bigs

jiminnj

One problem with bringing up Arrieta -- he is not on the 40-man roster, so if he comes up, someone is going to have to be put through waivers. And, if he goes back down at any point, we've burned one of his options. Bergesen is already on the 40-man, and his option for 2010 is burned already. So, merits aside, it will be tempting to bring Bergy back.

Unless, we send someone to the DL. (Albers should head to Sarasota & "heal") Potentially using one of Arrieta's options should not hurt us.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One problem with bringing up Arrieta -- he is not on the 40-man roster, so if he comes up, someone is going to have to be put through waivers. And, if he goes back down at any point, we've burned one of his options. Bergesen is already on the 40-man, and his option for 2010 is burned already. So, merits aside, it will be tempting to bring Bergy back.

Good point, although I wouldn't cry to see Albers sent out to pasture.

I thought it was strange to read that some guys change their whole pitching routine when they get to the majors. Why in the world would you want to do that?

Actually, if Bergesen is recalled for Saturday and isnt optioned again for the season, the option wouldn't have actually been used since the assignment has to total 20 days or more in the minors.

Yet another reason why it may be Bergy who gets the call. If I were a betting man, this is the choice I would bet the Orioles make. If Bergy gets the May 1 start and bombs, they can always send him back down and bring Arrieta up and be no worse off with respect to these contractual/administrative issues than if they called up Arrieta now.

You mean like Daniel Cabrera? He threw hard, snarled a lot and wasn't afriad to hit someone.

I understand your point but I'd be thrilled if we had 5 guys like Brian Matusz.

What they say or their expression means zippo to me.

Yeah, because I didn't clearly follow that up by saying I would take talent over attitude any day and I didn't clearly preface it by saying I was putting objective analysis aside for a second. :rolleyes:

In response to your point, maybe Daniel Cabrera looked like that for the first three seasons, when he was a young fireballer who was getting better and looked like he would turn into something special, but the Daniel Cabrera of latter tenure often looked hesitant, lost, lacking confidence and constantly on the verge of a mental breakdown. He hit guys because he had no idea where the ball was going, he was losing velocity by the start and he looked like he was waiting to be rescued out there.

That's the opposite of what I've seen in Arrieta.

In any case, I wasn't saying that I favor charisma over talent, but that I am excited to see a young, talented player whose demeanor is also a bit different than most of our staff.

I'd put Arrieta in the pen if Bergesen is back in the rotation. I'd rather have Arrieta than Albers, even if he's lost from the organization.

Arrieta needs to be logging innings and getting his arm used to a ~180+ IP season. Giving him 60 innings out of the pen this year would be a big step backward in his development as a starter.

If he's blocked at AAA and gets around 140 IP in early August I'd have no problem bringing him and breaking him in as a reliever for the remainder of the season, but giving him a season in the pen and then asking him to transition back to being a starter in 2011 has the Verducci effect written all over it.

Unless, we send someone to the DL. (Albers should head to Sarasota & "heal") Potentially using one of Arrieta's options should not hurt us.

Unless you send someone to the 60 Day DL , someone else has to come off the 40 man for Arrieta to come up.

The Sun mentions that Simon is coming up ( assume Albers is waived to add him to the 40 man )

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/04/simon_will_likely_get_shot_mor.html

Unless you send someone to the 60 Day DL , someone else has to come off the 40 man for Arrieta to come up.

The Sun mentions that Simon is coming up ( assume Albers is waived to add him to the 40 man )

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/04/simon_will_likely_get_shot_mor.html

Or Viola outrighted and Mickolio optioned.

Arrieta needs to be logging innings and getting his arm used to a ~180+ IP season. Giving him 60 innings out of the pen this year would be a big step backward in his development as a starter.

If he's blocked at AAA and gets around 140 IP in early August I'd have no problem bringing him and breaking him in as a reliever for the remainder of the season, but giving him a season in the pen and then asking him to transition back to being a starter in 2011 has the Verducci effect written all over it.

Maybe, but I don't see how it's a definitive step backwards large or small. There's plenty of precedent that shows it isn't. Hughes benefited from it.

Maybe, but I don't see how it's a definitive step backwards large or small. There's plenty of precedent that shows it isn't. Hughes benefited from it.

Well, Hughes made ten starts last year and 14 starts the year before, so it's not like he was restricted to just bullpen duty.

Still, Hughes threw about 105 IP last year, and I'd be concerned with his risk for future injury/decline if he gets up past 135 IP this year.

I'd have no problem with Arrieta getting his feet wet in the pen for a few weeks before moving to a starting role this season or continuing to start in Norfolk and getting called up to pitch out of the pen late in the season, but I think he needs to get 160+ IP this year one way or another.

I thought it was strange to read that some guys change their whole pitching routine when they get to the majors. Why in the world would you want to do that?

I could see a pitcher getting to the majors and change styles due to nerves. When facing ML hitters, I would not be surprised if a pitcher would feel more pressure to make the perfect pitch and not challenge hitters the same way that they did in the minors.

I could see a pitcher getting to the majors and change styles due to nerves. When facing ML hitters, I would not be surprised if a pitcher would feel more pressure to make the perfect pitch and not challenge hitters the same way that they did in the minors.

You see it all the time.

Actually, if Bergesen is recalled for Saturday and isnt optioned again for the season, the option wouldn't have actually been used since the assignment has to total 20 days or more in the minors.

Just when I think I know the rules, there's always some additional little twist...

Arrieta basically answered the question in the interview, in reference to overthrowing, trying to do too much that way.

BTW that was a truly outstanding interview. Great attitude. Love the confidence tempered with the humility of always learning more and working harder.

Archived