4/29 vs Yankee$

Big Mac

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting. I was surprised, and impressed, to hear him say that.

Thorne has really been diving into statistics a lot more I've noticed in the past couple of weeks. I'm still amazed, however, at the mainstream radio guys (Garceau, Viviano, Davis, Conn, etc.) who still haven't evolved to appreciating the significance of more modern day statistics. All of those guys overvalue wins by starting pitchers WAY more than they should, and I don't think I've ever heard one of them talk about BABIP or other variables to explain a players hot or cold streak. I realize much of their audience wouldn't even know what they were talking about if they tried, but you gotta start somewhere.

Thorne has really been diving into statistics a lot more I've noticed in the past couple of weeks. I'm still amazed, however, at the mainstream radio guys (Garceau, Viviano, Davis, Conn, etc.) who still haven't evolved to appreciating the significance of more modern day statistics. All of those guys overvalue wins by starting pitchers WAY more than they should, and I don't think I've ever heard one of them talk about BABIP or other variables to explain a players hot or cold streak. I realize much of their audience wouldn't even know what they were talking about if they tried, but you gotta start somewhere.

You're right. Of all of them, I'm more surprised by Conn and even Viviano. Although I'd imagine it's difficult to have an intelligent conversation when your co-host is the Bulldog.

With that said, football season is quickly approaching. Phone lines will turn to all Ravens, all the time. Between that, and the really awful caller opinions, I'd imagine it'd would be quite difficult to keep a stats conversation going.

Archived