Two Outs Man On Third Game Tied In 9th Who Do You Want Up?

Old#5fan

Runner On Third Two Out Game Tied In 9th Who You Want Up?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Runner On Third Two Out Game Tied In 9th Who You Want Up?

My God "ONLY THIS YAER GUYZ!!!"

You sound like a frickin child. But Okay I'll play along, see I DID the research while you didn't

2 outs w/ RISP

Markakis OPS 1.600

Tejada OPS .900

Markakis BA .500

Tejada BA .300

Late + Close

Markakis OPS .914

Tejada OPS 1.313

Markakis BA .313

Tejada BA .438

NOW - which are you going to believe? How is Oldfan going to twist this to fit his crappy agenda this time?

See, close and late doesn't equal GWRBI.

The situation you described is 2 out, runner on third. So in the department of 2-out RISP Markais wins again HANDS DOWN.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=tejadmi01&year=2010&t=b#clutc

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=markani01&year=2010&t=b#clutc

But that is not the point - the point is you're ridiculous.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NOW - which are you going to believe? How is Oldfan going to twist this to fit his crappy agenda this time?

What do stats mean? I've seen these guys play with my own two eyes, and Nick is terrible. Also...who ever heard of a good player named "Markakis"? What the heck kind of name is that any way?:laughlol:

Sidestepping the agenda, I would still choose Miggi. In this situation you need a single. Miggi and Nick both hit about the same when it comes to BA but Miggi strikes out a lot less and is more likely to put the ball in play, where any thing can happen. Nick is more likely to walk and keep the inning alive, but I lean towards Miggi.

Sidestepping the agenda, I would still choose Miggi. In this situation you need a single. Miggi and Nick both hit about the same when it comes to BA but Miggi strikes out a lot less and is more likely to put the ball in play, where any thing can happen. Nick is more likely to walk and keep the inning alive, but I lean towards Miggi.

See, that's a fairly reasonable argument. "I prefer Tejada because he strikes out less." And he does, the stats bear that out.

But we're not talking about making sure the guy doesn't strike out, we're talking about specifically GETTING THE HIT TO DRIVE THE RUNNER in. If the argument is "I want the person more likely to get the hit", Nick still wins, because he has the higher batting average. Not the higher OBP, not the higher SLG or SLG, the higher AVERAGE. He still hits better than Tejada in this exact situation.

So if you want a hit to drive the runner in, Nick still wins. If you just want a guy who won't end the inning ... well, Nick also wins, because his OBP is higher. But if you want a guy who won't strike out, sure, Tejada will work.

Tejada is a great player, this is true. I'm not arguing that I DON'T want to see him in a situation where we need a hit. But if you're going to say "Pick one", I'm going with Nick.

LHP, I want Tejada

RHP, I want Markakis.

I know Markakis has crushed lefties so far this season, but he has k'ed 9 times in 28 at bats, which suggests he's been getting lucky against them.

See, this is another good question to ask. Nick IS better vs. righties and Tejada IS better vs. lefties.

But these whole "Last week, Tejada hit a GWRBI, so he's better!" and "I know Nick is bad because I trust my eyes over stats!" arguments are completely stupid.

Edit: Though I am with Sports Guy, the K's don't tell you anything useful about whether he's been lucky against lefties or not. It'd be more useful to see how often he strikes out against lefties in his career and also look at his BABIP and LD% against them.

Archived