Unbelievable... 0% Graduation rate '97-'00

Jagwar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These rates are giving the players only a certain # of years after graduation, right? Because I find it hard to believe that college assistant coaches like Terrell Stokes and Keith Booth didn't get their degree. In fact I know Keith got his. Not to completely excuse this stat, but it isn't 0% if you look at how many of those guys currently have their degree.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they determine those rates. I mean, didn't Mardesich and Ekezie come here partly because of the academic program?

I remember cbird saying that all five seniors from the Blake/Nicholas class graduated, but that was obviously after 2000. I do remember Johnny Holiday always emphasizing that Tahj Holden would be the first to graduate in 4 years for some time.

So while there's always improvement to be made academically, I don't think the rates put out by the NCAA are the best gauge.

This is why I think it is often euphemistic to call these guys student-athletes. Often times, in the major sports (football/basketball) they are only there to play sports. Actually the fact that none graduated may be more of a statement that Maryland isn't cheating by grade inflation or using B.S. majors like "general studies" or "sports management and communications." For example, I find it hard to believe that some of Duke's players could do well in a rigorous major, considering the (undeserved! ;)) reputation that it has. Of course some is is very different from zero. I know for a fact that Michigan pulls stuff like that with their majors.

NCAA says that athletes are paid by getting a free education, but really that doesn't happen all that often (although you can argue, and there is definitely some truth to it, that this is the players' fault. They do have ridiculous time commitments for the sports though). Meanwhile, the colleges make a fortune out of TV deals, etc. I think the players, who are all 18 and over and are thus legal adults, should somehow get a piece of that pie (or at least be able to get their names in EA's video games!). I guess I've sort of wandered away from the thread topic, so I'll stop now.

I'm wondering if it is only student-athletes who enrolled at Maryland from 1997 to 2000. Wouldnt that mean that Booth, Stokes and Ekezie would also be excluded from the survey?

It says that in the first paragraph of the article. So we aren't talking about the right guys.

Other than maybe following their NBA careers, do any of you care what happens to these guys once they leave MD?

Well, yeah. Anyone you shared a school with is someone you hope will be successful. You want positive reflections on your school.

Other than maybe following their NBA careers, do any of you care what happens to these guys once they leave MD?

I would think whether it's a college program or a pro team or whatever you'd like to think that the team that one roots for does things the right way. A 0% graduation rate is by any definition failing to do things the right way.

Well, yeah. Anyone you shared a school with is someone you hope will be successful. You want positive reflections on your school.

I would agree that if you went to a school, then it would matter to you. Otherwise, not so much.

Two things. Why can't you root for success on the court and in the classroom? Why is it an either/or? And I'd dare say that, for instance, Blake and Dixon made the right decisions. Those guys have insane money now and are set for life. In this case, they've taken care of their families and allowed themselves to live a comfortable, stable life. That's the American dream, right? Besides being flawed, this graduation rate would be a lot more worrisome if you were talking about a MEAC or Sunbelt or Trans-Atlantic Conference or whatever type of school, where so few players make it to the pro level.

Maryland noted that 10 of the 10 freshmen and transfer basketball players measurable by the GSR scores left school to pursue professional careers.

As a Maryland alum, I can tell you that 10 out of 10 is pretty close to 100%.

The major purpose of going to college for almost everyone who goes to college is to prepare for a career. Maryland succeeded in giving those students an education.

Archived